is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: J_R

Well, I regret to inform you that I just did a drain and fill on a nice 70 degree, sunny day.
27.gif

Third D&F with Maxlife and added a bottle of LGR to a transmission that requires 3309/T-IV.
crazy2.gif

Good, except why add the lubeguard if the transmission works perfectly? If it ain't broke, don't take chances. Stay away from snake oils.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You fanboys sure stick together. You don't remember correctly. You realize that "IIRC" means IF I remember correctly. You don't. Nor were you there. Your argument is no stronger nor different than mine.

Your fondness for that slop has given you selective memory. It's called fanboyitis. No, I did not service it prior. The transmission was functioning perfectly and wasn't due for service yet. I wanted to get a jump on it before the cold weather set in. I followed the non-severe service schedule which means 100k. When I made the mistake of using MaxJunk, the perfectly functioning transmission was only at ~75k. The OP is still floating around. I'm not starting it over for the benefit of you two.

I now own a different vehicle with the 4L60E. With trepidation I have done a complete exchange then a separate pan drop/filter change. This time with AC Delco Dex VI. That was last December. Running robust.

Here we go with the "credibility" again. Credibility on an Internet forum. That's funny. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. I shared my experience with that cheap slop. Take it or leave it. That applies to you too, kschachn. Most seem to get it. You two don't.

No. MaxLife is NOT that good.

Edited to add: Since you like facts, why don't you ask '302fanboy where he got that 99% figure, or does he get a pass being in your clique and all?

Originally Posted By: 3311
Let it go. You have no credibility if your still saying maxlife caused your tranny failure. Iirc it was a 4l60e and you had not serviced it before? A tranny well know to not be GM'S most robust.

Ill admit your transmission failure is what has me worried to do others.

First though, I can honestly think of only one person on this site that hates Valvoline and that is you. You have based your opinion off of your experience and that is wonderful, but I assure you, you are the only one here with those feelings. It seems [censored] near every Valvoline thread has you mentioning how horrible it is. I remember you even trolling on my Maxlife PS fluid thread. C' mon dude.
21.gif

At 75k, I cant help but wonder something (non fluid related) went horribly wrong. Transmissions can fail. Wrong procedure perhaps?

A tit-for-tat scenario is not applicable here. I say the fluid is junk. Big difference than someone saying 99%... Show me the facts.

If comments like that are acceptable, then how's this? I used MaxJunk once and my transmission failed, so that's a 100% failure rate. Ridiculous, ha? Like it or not, that percentage is accurate.

Lies, [censored] lies, and statistics.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Likewise, neither should you extrapolate your limited experience into a continuous blanket condemnation of the product.

Your vehicle either failed because you never changed the ATF or you just owned a lemon... ATF is not a lifetime fluid. Can you prove that Maxlife ruined your tranny? No... I did guess on the 99% but most users have been very happy with Maxlife products. Sometimes vehicle components fail because they just fail... LOL. It sucks but it happens.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Good, except why add the lubeguard if the transmission works perfectly? If it ain't broke, don't take chances. Stay away from snake oils.

I don't believe Lubegard to be a snake oil. JMO
coffee2.gif

LubeGard is great stuff and smooths out a transmission's operating system in all aspects. It is one of the few products where the customer gets their money's worth with improved performance and longevity.

No problems using it in 3 different cars for almost 4 years.

Only heard of 1 guy on BITOG a while back who was sure it wrecked his tranny.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
LubeGard is great stuff and smooths out a transmission's operating system in all aspects. It is one of the few products where the customer gets their money's worth with improved performance and longevity.

But if it is so great why don't the OEMs recommend it?
In fact most owners manuals say only use the specified
automatic transmission fluid in your vehicle.

Now granted in a worn unit that is old and out of warranty I can see giving it a try if things are not functioning properly, especially if the cost to replace it exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Oilchanger probably was doing neutral drops or shifted into reverse while passing.

He is a troll and should be put on the ignore list by everyone.

OulChanger's link indicated he has (had?) a 2005 Astro. As much as I have a warm spot in my heart for them, the van used a 700r4 or a 4L60, depending upon the year. Which is known for going to high milage. In some instances. Much less in others. And sometimes with a hard part failure, like a sunshell iirc.

Going by his requirements, Ive seen at least ten good recommendation here for MaxLife, and at least ten elsewhere on the web. So while not 99% it is at least 95% by informal antidotal evidence in my book.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
No problems using it in 3 different cars for almost 4 years.

Only heard of 1 guy on BITOG a while back who was sure it wrecked his tranny.

Update: Just wandered into this thread and did not read prior posts. I have read some more now and see it's a 'small battle'.

It has worked well in my wife's Mazda for the last 100k miles since exchanged out the rancid factory fill at 50k. And has work well in my 04 below for the last 50k as well.
It will go into my c7500 and 06 below when they are do for service.

Edit: It has already been in PS service in my C7500 for a few years.

What is the definition of "GOOD"?

It seems to hold up very well as an ATF, especially as it is designed for old transmission that might have leaky gasket.

It also seems to be close enough in friction to many spec out there and not shift badly for most transmission it list for.

But is it "better" than the OEM fluid? I'm not sure how much margin the OEM calibrate their shifting with the friction spec of their own ATF. That would be the only thing I'm concerned about, but so far it works well in my Integra.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
My experiences with maxlife atf is that it is as good as OEM. That's proof enough for me in my vehicles.
+1. In my case, it was better, other than the smell of it

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
What is the definition of "GOOD"?

Dictionary definition of good:

1) Adjective: To be desired or approved of.
2) Noun: That which is morally right; righteousness.
3) Adverb: Well.

The BITOG definition of good:

1) My (insert a major mechanical component here) "Eats it up".
2) My (insert a major mechanical component here) "Loves it".

So some here use this stuff, did not have a problem, or are developing a problem they are not yet aware of, so it must be "good". Since it is "good" they recommend it blindly to others elevating it to darling status on BITOG oblivious to the fact that it was the cheap clique which elevated it to darling status because they are too cheap to buy the recommended fluid.

MaxLife is NOT that good. MaxLife is cheap.

As far as I know I'm the only one on this forum with a VOA of that garbage.

that garbage.

I think you messed up your filter change. Your filter o ring got sucked up by your pump. It happens. Google it. A very common problem.

No way any transmission fluid on the market would cause a problem that big that quick. People use Type F in GM. There is a guy that used motor oil in his 700r4. You can use generic hydraulic fluid. You can goop it up with 2 bottles of Lucas trans fix honey. They keep on shifting.

Wrong. I seen it when we took the sample.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I think you messed up your filter change. Your filter o ring got sucked up by your pump. It happens. Google it. A very common problem.

2005 Isuzu NPR HD - 88k miles on Maxlife - no issues
2003 Isuzu NPR HD - 86k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2007 Isuzu NPR HD - 81k miles on MazLife - no issues
2004 Isuzu NPR HD - 83k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2002 Isuzu NPR HD - 86k miles on MaxLife - no issues
1999 Isuzu NPR HD - 90k miles on MaxLife - no issues
2002 Chevy Express 3500 - 141k miles on MaxLife - no issues
1992 Chevy Caprice (700r4) - 37k on MaxLife - no issues
2007 Lincoln Navigator - 22k on MaxLife - cured converter shudder - no issues

Use it in all power steering that calls for ATF too, less noise, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back