is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I experienced no change after a drain-and-fill of Honda OEM ATF (DW-1) and nothing changed. The car shifted well as when we first bought it with 60k miles.

It may have been coincidence, but after a single drain-and-fill using MaxLife I started experiencing a 1-2 flair and minor other oddities; no major changes, but very noticeable.

After 2 more drain-and-fill with OEM fluid it's back to normal. Unfortunately, my data is ruined, because I took the car into the dealer shortly after the 1st drain-and-fill for them to apply a TCM update, which could very well be the cause of the better shifting.

Unfortunately, the degraded shifting coincided with the MaxLife, so I will no longer consider anything but Honda DW-1.

MaxLife is NOT rated for use in a DW-1 specced Honda transmisson unit. Only Z-1 rated specs. Look on their label, it is NOT listed as being compatible with DW-1 fluid.

Castrol TransMax IMV ATF is specced for BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 applications.

castrol has 3 oils that are dw-1 the castrol high milage and the Castrol® Transmax™ Import multi-vehicle and TRANSMAX™ HIGH MILEAGE

and the one i used 1 time and liked and its a FULL SYN and is listed for dw1
Castrol® Transmax™ Full Synthetic Multi

again.. its just valvoline max life atf.. I like valvoline eninge oil.

Unless free, I've never used dealer sourced ATF and don't even recommend it unless it is some unknown spec. Lowest bid OE fluid has never impressed me.

As long as the spec is mentioned, ATF can be mixed.

High mileage is a marketing term. You can use it in a brand new or rebuilt transmission.

Techs are clueless when it comes to fluid tech.

Fear mongering is too funny here. Fear the non-OE fluid. Fear the preventive maintenance. Spread hearsay and ol' wives tales. The boogeyman is gonna get you for not shopping at the dealer. Booga booga.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Unless free, I've never used dealer sourced ATF and don't even recommend it unless it is some unknown spec. Lowest bid OE fluid has never impressed me.

As long as the spec is mentioned, ATF can be mixed.

High mileage is a marketing term. You can use it in a brand new or rebuilt transmission.

Techs are clueless when it comes to fluid tech.

Fear mongering is too funny here. Fear the non-OE fluid. Fear the preventive maintenance. Spread hearsay and ol' wives tales. The boogeyman is gonna get you for not shopping at the dealer. Booga booga.

Thing is there are exceptions to that line of thinking, for example Honda automatic transmissions, they are not like any other automatic unit on the market, it behaves quite a bit like a automated manual unit.

I would tend to put the OE DW-1 in the latest Honda models that call for it especially during the warranty period. But I would trust a well known name like Castrol which has listed that their
IMV ATF is suitable for Honda/Acura that require DW-1 and also earlier models that spec Z-1.

They have the resources to test the fluid properly.

I was using V.Maxlife ATF in my Rav4 (57,000mi). In my opinion from best to worst in regards to shift quality: Amsoil SS>Valvoline Maxlife>T-WS.

Sitting over night the shifting from park to reverse on an incline/decline got better with maxlife and even better with amsoil SS. Planning on a UOA of the current fill once I get 80-100k on the fluid. Depending on my wallet I may use maxlife or amsoil (or redline).

Last edited:
IMHO, if one replaces old ATF with fresh one (regardless of type) there will be improvement.
case in point, I just did fluid change in saturn (unknown fluid, possible OEM T-IV) with fresh T-IV and there is shifting improvement already. this is why people may think aftermarket fluids like maxlife are better than OEM.

I will keep using Maxlife ATF in many applications because around 99% of its users seem to think it works well. Those are pretty good odds that it is a very good ATF...

Case in point. 99% ha? How did you come up with that number? Care to back that up with facts? Or is this a guesstimate you gleaned from responses here on BITOG? You can't even verify if the people who's transmissions "eat it up" and who's transmissions "just love the stuff" have even used it or if they're just running their post count up to look like experts.

I think Polly wants another cracker.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I will keep using Maxlife ATF in many applications because around 99% of its users seem to think it works well. Those are pretty good odds that it is a very good ATF...

Likewise, neither should you extrapolate your limited experience into a continuous blanket condemnation of the product.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Case in point. 99% ha? How did you come up with that number? Care to back that up with facts? Or is this a guesstimate you gleaned from responses here on BITOG? You can't even verify if the people who's transmissions "eat it up" and who's transmissions "just love the stuff" have even used it or if they're just running their post count up to look like experts.

I think Polly wants another cracker.
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

A tit-for-tat scenario is not applicable here. I say the fluid is junk. Big difference than someone saying 99%... Show me the facts.

If comments like that are acceptable, then how's this? I used MaxJunk once and my transmission failed, so that's a 100% failure rate. Ridiculous, ha? Like it or not, that percentage is accurate.

Lies, [censored] lies, and statistics.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Likewise, neither should you extrapolate your limited experience into a continuous blanket condemnation of the product.

Well as much as you like to blame that failure on the fluid it is also quite likely that it was unrelated, no? In fact it is more likely that it is unrelated rather than the causation, since the fluid you used was specified for the application. That would mean that some statistical variation within the specification was the cause for your failure - which is even less likely.

Your blame is motivated by emotion rather than facts. Where is the proof that the fluid was the direct cause of the failure?

A tit-for-tat scenario is not applicable here. I say the fluid is junk. Big difference than someone saying 99%... Show me the facts.

If comments like that are acceptable, then how's this? I used MaxJunk once and my transmission failed, so that's a 100% failure rate. Ridiculous, ha? Like it or not, that percentage is accurate.

You're late to the party. Your argument is also based on emotion; your like and/or use of the garbage. This has all been discussed. Nothing you say can change a thing. If you let it go, I'll let it go. That's the best anyone can hope for.

Well as much as you like to blame that failure on the fluid it is also quite likely that it was unrelated, no? In fact it is more likely that it is unrelated rather than the causation, since the fluid you used was specified for the application. That would mean that some statistical variation within the specification was the cause for your failure - which is even less likely.

Your blame is motivated by emotion rather than facts. Where is the proof that the fluid was the direct cause of the failure?

Oh, no, I've never used it. Since all my automatics are Dex III spec I use M1 ATF. I did use Honda ATF DW-1 for a while in the Honda, but not this last change. So really there is no emotion involved at all.

Funny how I have to let it go when I challenge you to prove your statement. I just know that based on what I have seen you post here and in other threads, there is no cause and effect that you can show.

I don't speak in a vacuum. I once strenuously and repeatedly blamed a knocking noise in my 1MZ-FE on the use of a particular oil. I was convinced it was the problem because the noise started immediately after I changed the oil. However, it turned out to be a timing belt tensioner pulley, it was only a coincidence. That showed me that despite how sure I may be about something and despite how clear it seemed to me, I could be wrong.

You're late to the party. Your argument is also based on emotion; your like and/or use of the garbage. This has all been discussed. Nothing you say can change a thing. If you let it go, I'll let it go. That's the best anyone can hope for.

If comments like that'd work are acceptable, then how's this? I used MaxJunk once and my transmission failed, so that's a 100% failure rate. Ridiculous, ha? Like it or not, that percentage is accurate.

Let it go. You have no credibility if your still saying maxlife caused your tranny failure. Iirc it was a 4l60e and you had not serviced it before? A tranny well know to not be GM'S most robust.

Last edited:
You fanboys sure stick together. You don't remember correctly. You realize that "IIRC" means IF I remember correctly. You don't. Nor were you there. Your argument is no stronger nor different than mine.

Your fondness for that slop has given you selective memory. It's called fanboyitis. No, I did not service it prior. The transmission was functioning perfectly and wasn't due for service yet. I wanted to get a jump on it before the cold weather set in. I followed the non-severe service schedule which means 100k. When I made the mistake of using MaxJunk, the perfectly functioning transmission was only at ~75k. The OP is still floating around. I'm not starting it over for the benefit of you two.

I now own a different vehicle with the 4L60E. With trepidation I have done a complete exchange then a separate pan drop/filter change. This time with AC Delco Dex VI. That was last December. Running robust.

Here we go with the "credibility" again. Credibility on an Internet forum. That's funny. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. I shared my experience with that cheap slop. Take it or leave it. That applies to you too, kschachn. Most seem to get it. You two don't.

No. MaxLife is NOT that good.

Edited to add: Since you like facts, why don't you ask '302fanboy where he got that 99% figure, or does he get a pass being in your clique and all?

Originally Posted By: 3311
Let it go. You have no credibility if your still saying maxlife caused your tranny failure. Iirc it was a 4l60e and you had not serviced it before? A tranny well know to not be GM'S most robust.

Last edited:
Maxlife ATF seems to work well in a variety of applications, for which Valvoline provides compatibility information on the bottle.
I'm using Maxlife ATF in the '02 Accord and would use it in other applications for which Valvoline recommends it.
It's a shear-stable synthetic fluid at a bargain price.

Hello, I've enjoyed this thread. I posted my personal involvement on p.2 12th post down.
I appreciated the energy, verve and logic displayed herein.

Here are some basic numbers I have to deal with NOW. I have 4 cars' oil to change and would like to do 3 transmission drain and fills.
The trouble is that the NE is suffering through a PROLONGED cold spell and there's no way I'm doing them anytime soon.

I drove by a remodeled Sunoco station (Rt. 17N, Maywood, NJ) where the old guy who owned the old station used to let me use his lift.
My sorrow over that far outweighs the tumult over a good product debate.

DARN, it's cold outside. Kira

You fanboys sure stick together. You don't remember correctly. You realize that "IIRC" means IF I remember correctly. You don't. Nor were you there. Your argument is no stronger nor different than mine.

Your fondness for that slop has given you selective memory. It's called fanboyitis. No, I did not service it prior. The transmission was functioning perfectly and wasn't due for service yet. I wanted to get a jump on it before the cold weather set in. I followed the non-severe service schedule which means 100k. When I made the mistake of using MaxJunk, the perfectly functioning transmission was only at ~75k. The OP is still floating around. I'm not starting it over for the benefit of you two.

I now own a different vehicle with the 4L60E. With trepidation I have done a complete exchange then a separate pan drop/filter change. This time with AC Delco Dex VI. That was last December. Running robust.

Here we go with the "credibility" again. Credibility on an Internet forum. That's funny. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. I shared my experience with that cheap slop. Take it or leave it. That applies to you too, kschachn. Most seem to get it. You two don't.

No. MaxLife is NOT that good.

Edited to add: Since you like facts, why don't you ask '302fanboy where he got that 99% figure, or does he get a pass being in your clique and all?

Originally Posted By: 3311

I stand by my post. You had a neglected, somewhat notorious tranny that let go PERIOD.
Any fluid you would have used, the net result would still be the same.
Oh and the dealer certainly had financial incentive to tell you what you wanted to hear with regard to the fluid causing the failure.
It is laughable to think any brand of fluid that is within spec would cause a failure. But keep posting about this and we will certainly keep laughing.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I've enjoyed this thread. I posted my personal involvement on p.2 12th post down.
I appreciated the energy, verve and logic displayed herein.

Here are some basic numbers I have to deal with NOW. I have 4 cars' oil to change and would like to do 3 transmission drain and fills.
The trouble is that the NE is suffering through a PROLONGED cold spell and there's no way I'm doing them anytime soon.

I drove by a remodeled Sunoco station (Rt. 17N, Maywood, NJ) where the old guy who owned the old station used to let me use his lift.
My sorrow over that far outweighs the tumult over a good product debate.

DARN, it's cold outside. Kira

Well, I regret to inform you that I just did a drain and fill on a nice 70 degree, sunny day.
27.gif

Third D&F with Maxlife and added a bottle of LGR to a transmission that requires 3309/T-IV.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back