would u consider this "severe" service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mon-Fri, in the morning I drive 2 miles from my house to the fwy then 3 miles on the fwy ( wide open, no traffic at 5am) to my destination. In the afternoon, I drive the same route home for a total of approx 10 miles per day. I have read that a trip of less than 5 miles is considered severe so I'm right at that Mark. Would u guys consider this normal or severe?

In your location it's probably just fine. Everything gets heated up properly. But it's really not that much more money to change fluids out sooner than the "normal" service and if it makes you feel better go for it.....I do.

I would consider that severe but if you do a run once a week of 30 minutes or so to burn off moisture, then you should be fine. It takes close to 5-10 minutes for some vehicles to fully heat up and then around 10-15 minutes additional time to burn off any moisture in the fluids.

Last edited:
Sounds like severe service to me, especially during the winter months. I would follow the severe service interval, or get a few UOA's and make a determination that way.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sounds like severe service to me, especially during the winter months. I would follow the severe service interval, or get a few UOA's and make a determination that way.

Yep I would treat as severe service as noted above.

I do a similar drive and change my oil once a year or 5k with a HM semi-syn oil.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would consider that severe but if you do a run once a week of 30 minutes or so to burn off moisture, then you should be fine. It takes close to 5-10 minutes for some vehicles to fully heat up and then around 10-15 minutes additional time to burn off any moisture in the fluids.

It takes 20-25 minutes of driving to eat up the oil fully.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Mon-Fri, in the morning I drive 2 miles from my house to the fwy then 3 miles on the fwy ( wide open, no traffic at 5am) to my destination. In the afternoon, I drive the same route home for a total of approx 10 miles per day. I have read that a trip of less than 5 miles is considered severe so I'm right at that Mark. Would u guys consider this normal or severe?

The engine and exhaust need to get thoroughly warmed (hot) up. Is that happening?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
lol Anything other than long highway drives is considered severe service here.

If you read some of the owners manuals I have sitting here, that statement is fairly accurate.

If you read some of the owners manuals I have sitting here, that statement is fairly accurate.

In the US, perhaps. Up here in Canada, not so much, according to the manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

In the US, perhaps. Up here in Canada, not so much, according to the manufacturers.

I can't comment about Canada, but where I live, with traffic, and short hopping its pretty much the norm.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
It takes close to 5-10 minutes for some vehicles to fully heat up

It takes 20-25 minutes of driving to eat up the oil fully.

The OP's 10 minute commute is not even close to heating up the oil fully. It is luke warm by the time he gets to work/home. It would be considered severe service in my book. 5K mile OCI's should be fine.

OMG! You people. He didn't even mention what vehicle. What state of repair. Nothing!

A grocery getter in SoCal? Pppfffttt! Severe? That's funny! An uninsured, non-English speaking driver with no license will total that thing long before an there's an oil related issue.

I'd consider it severe...you're not really allowing the moisture to burn off, which can lead to sludge and even corrosion in some parts of the engine.

Winter in California is like summer in
08.gif

Normal service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back