New Tires for the Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
I live in central Ohio and really thought about getting winter tires when I was shopping for new tires this past fall. Instead I got all season tires with a high rating for snow traction (GY ComforTred Touring). So far much better than the Michelin MXV4 S8 that they replaced. We really don't get dumped with snow like they do in northern Ohio, so I think I made the right choice, for me. I am more concerned about the other knuckleheads on the road. Example: several weeks ago while driving to work while it was snowing, an old dude driving a newish SUV flys past me on the left and promptly loses control and spins out. You would think after cleaning the [censored] out of his pants and re-assessing the road conditions he would slow down, but less than 5 minutes later the same guy flys past me again!! Knucklehead!!

For Central Ohio, all that is really needed is a set of A/S tires with decent tread and some common sense.
Unfortunately, common sense is not something that can be legislated.
You either have it or you don't.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Problem is not that much design, as lack of rain and all the oil, grease etc that collects over time on roads. Once it rains, it is just mix of oil and water. Also, it does not help that CA drivers are seriously skill challenged. I lived like a year in San Diego, every time it rained, I just stayed home, it was massacre on the roads.

It was very prudent to not driving in So Cal when there was any rain, heavy or light, because most So Cal drivers just don't know how slick the mix of water and oil is. They keep tail-gating like it is on dry surface.

I see both points, if you can stay home, have common sense and don't have to be out before the plows or deal with lake effect snow.

All seasons are adequate

Of course that doesn't mean you can run them with 4/32 tread on the -10F refrozen slush ice.

I love my winter tires because it allows me to be certain to outbreak and maneuver all the total idiots on the roads.

For example yesterday. I'm accelerating up a hill with 4" of snow on it main side road 4lanes-2lane area.

Person tries to cut in from the lane that's ending.. ends up going sideways in front of me.

I pass on the wrong side of yellow while hes backwards on the road.

I get to the top of the hill doing aprox 35mph. The road is mostly clear now with a couple almost bare tracks in the snow.

Lady in a Buick on a side road decides at last second to "dart" out in front of me.. of course her tires are loaded up with snow so it takes aprox 3sec to get moving in front of me. She then puts her blinker on and stops to turn in a driveway.

No way she left me enough room to stop on that with all seasons..
With the blizzak ws-80 I stopped with minor abs drama easily 20ft before hitting her. Note: I was traveling 35mph which was within reason for conditions with no one on the road in front of me. With all seasons I would have had to hop the curb into someones yard.

One tiny fender bender costs more than winter tires on separate wheels. I also have to travel in the main lake effect snow area frequently.

And dont get me started on the idiots that have tires so bad they cant move. Making massive traffic jams. It took me 3 green lights to make a left turn(with arrow) and there was only 7 cars in front of me.

Last edited:
Ugh my edit deleted part of my post.

this line was supposed to be at the bottom

now back on topic.

Those Pirelli p7+ are on my short list to replace the oem yoko g91f that are below average in every way except fuel economy. They are supposed to be moderately below class leading tires in wet traction. I also have to decide if I want a stock tire size replacement or step to 235/55r17 for performance tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I see both points, if you can stay home, have common sense and don't have to be out before the plows or deal with lake effect snow.

All seasons are adequate

Of course that doesn't mean you can run them with 4/32 tread on the -10F refrozen slush ice.

I love my winter tires because it allows me to be certain to outbreak and maneuver all the total idiots on the roads.

For example yesterday. I'm accelerating up a hill with 4" of snow on it main side road 4lanes-2lane area.

Person tries to cut in from the lane that's ending.. ends up going sideways in front of me.

I pass on the wrong side of yellow while hes backwards on the road.

I get to the top of the hill doing aprox 35mph. The road is mostly clear now with a couple almost bare tracks in the snow.

Lady in a Buick on a side road decides at last second to "dart" out in front of me.. of course her tires are loaded up with snow so it takes aprox 3sec to get moving in front of me. She then puts her blinker on and stops to turn in a driveway.

No way she left me enough room to stop on that with all seasons..
With the blizzak ws-80 I stopped with minor abs drama easily 20ft before hitting her. Note: I was traveling 35mph which was within reason for conditions with no one on the road in front of me. With all seasons I would have had to hop the curb into someones yard.

One tiny fender bender costs more than winter tires on separate wheels. I also have to travel in the main lake effect snow area frequently.

And dont get me started on the idiots that have tires so bad they cant move. Making massive traffic jams. It took me 3 green lights to make a left turn(with arrow) and there was only 7 cars in front of me.

If I lived much north of Mansfield, I would have dedicated winter tires.
I certainly understand and appreciate the utility of them.
I can do what I need to do in the Columbus metro area with a good set of All Seasons.
Like I said, if it is that horrible out, I will stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back