Jack Point Jack Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't had any problems with the pinch weld pad thus far. Unfortunately - many pinch welds are already bent from jacks and lifts which don't protect the weld. Our pad has a "U" shaped groove so there is a little room to avoid bending the weld as you indicated. It also allows you to use the pad even if your pinch weld is already less than perfect.

Originally Posted By: karut
We haven't had any problems with the pinch weld pad thus far. Unfortunately - many pinch welds are already bent from jacks and lifts which don't protect the weld. Our pad has a "U" shaped groove so there is a little room to avoid bending the weld as you indicated. It also allows you to use the pad even if your pinch weld is already less than perfect.

That's good to hear. The welds on one of my cars is not terrible but not perfect. Biggest annoyance would be taking the car somewhere for tires etc and having them screw up the weld to where it's not usable with an adapter like this anymore.

Originally Posted By: rationull
I really like the idea of this product but I've got a question about applications with pinch-weld jack points. If you want to lift all four corners of the car, then with this setup you'll jack up each corner individually and lower it onto the stand. Say you jack up the driver's side front first. When you move to the passenger side front and start lifting the car, won't the driver's side front pinch weld, sitting in the adapter, end up "rocking" and potentially getting bent or slightly dragged across the small load-bearing surface inside the adapter?

But how well does this work in practice on pinch welds?

You could mitigate this with a full set of stands by running around and lifting each corner an inch or two at a time. Then the angles would be too small to matter.

Our pad has a "U" shaped groove so there is a little room to avoid bending the weld as you indicated. It also allows you to use the pad even if your pinch weld is already less than perfect.

About how wide is the U groove?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You could mitigate this with a full set of stands by running around and lifting each corner an inch or two at a time. Then the angles would be too small to matter.

Only if you have 4 jacks as well!

Our pad has a "U" shaped groove so there is a little room to avoid bending the weld as you indicated. It also allows you to use the pad even if your pinch weld is already less than perfect.

The groove is 3/4" at the top and tapers to a rounded bottom.

The groove is 3/4" at the top and tapers to a rounded bottom.

Thanks! Gonna have to go measure and check how much tolerance I have!

Seems like 3/4" is a bit shallow for some cars. I think it might work on the WRX. So your jack point pad, what is on the reverse side? Some jacks have cups that might be slippery at the meeting surface if you follow me.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Seems like 3/4" is a bit shallow for some cars. I think it might work on the WRX. So your jack point pad, what is on the reverse side? Some jacks have cups that might be slippery at the meeting surface if you follow me.

The pads have a 5" diameter recess on the bottom designed to fit over the top of the jack saddle. Under load the pad can't slip off as long as the saddle is between 3.5 and 5"

Can you explain how the BMW adapters mount to the actual jack pad device? Pics on your site weren't clear to me. Also, what do the regular and low profile pads look like? Is the pinch weld adapter standard, and is it removable? It almost looks like a set of these stands come with four round pads.

My interpretation is that 3/4" is the width of the groove at the top, not the depth. I think these are designed so the load goes on the pinch weld (like it would with a normal jack stand or with a lift with no adapters), not on the either side of the pinch weld (like it would with a spare tire scissor jack). As such I think it is supposed to be shallower than the pinch weld itself.

My interpretation is that 3/4" is the width of the groove at the top, not the depth. I think these are designed so the load goes on the pinch weld (like it would with a normal jack stand or with a lift with no adapters), not on the either side of the pinch weld (like it would with a spare tire scissor jack). As such I think it is supposed to be shallower than the pinch weld itself.

I think you are correct. I suppose it work ok. I have seen some cars when some maniac flattened the pinch weld and the drain channels.

I think you are correct. I suppose it work ok. I have seen some cars when some maniac flattened the pinch weld and the drain channels.

That's my main concern. It would be a shame to spend $$ on a nice lifting system like this and then have some tire shop screw up a pinch weld and make it unusable. From the photos, seems like the euro car jack points are a little bit better designed (although I don't know -- I've never really seem them in person).

That's my main concern. It would be a shame to spend $$ on a nice lifting system like this and then have some tire shop screw up a pinch weld and make it unusable. From the photos, seems like the euro car jack points are a little bit better designed (although I don't know -- I've never really seem them in person).

You're right - and I've even had it happen to my cars at the dealer service departments. Some pinch welds are intended to support the weight of the car. Others have reinforced structures on the frame rail of the seam so the pinch weld should be protected. We currently have a few different pads and are developing others for variations from one chassis to another.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
As an update to this thread, has anyone purchased and used these jackstands yet?

I use them. I first bought one pair. then later bought another pair. Yes they are expensive, BUT I wanted something that I can use on any car with these type of pinchweld. I also spent the money for the comfort safety first. And my two sons can use them when I am gone.

my thread on Hyundai Sonata Forum using these jackstand. I do not work for the comapany.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/303250-more-pics-my-jackpoint-jackstands.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/318954-ba

I posted pictures of mine. I'm subsequently bought a set of urethane Jack point protectors off of eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back