Oil usage on RAV4 higher now with 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the advice. There is one more piece to this puzzle. I got a letter in the mail from Toyota just last week. My RAV is in the group that could see higher oil consumption. They are extending the warranty on the engine to 10 years/150k miles for oil comsumption. But the motor will have to be using a quart every 1200 miles. Like I said, my last run was dino oil, 5w-30 and I would use maybe 1/3 quart in 2000 miles. Now it looks like 1/2 quart per 1000 miles. So I have about 3 years to monitor this and see where it goes. I will stick with the 0w-20 M1 for now. The unfortunate part is, I only put on about 10k miles a year so I won't be able to reach anywhere near the 150K miles before the extended warranty ends. Thanks for all the advice.

I have to question the idea that if I stay with this same oil (M1), that on the second or third OCI the usage will stabilize. What specific thing would change that would cause the usage to drop and stabilize after the first time I use this new oil? I just cannot think of what would matter between the first use and the 2nd or 3rd use.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I have to question the idea that if I stay with this same oil (M1), that on the second or third OCI the usage will stabilize. What specific thing would change that would cause the usage to drop and stabilize after the first time I use this new oil? I just cannot think of what would matter between the first use and the 2nd or 3rd use.

I don't think anybody on here can explain it. But it does happen, with many oils
21.gif

You have the 2AZ-FE engine with the faulty piston oil return holes. They are too small and clog up. No oil will fix this issue. I have a 2008 as well and at 95000 miles it burns about a quart maybe 1.5 quarts in 5000 miles but it has had PP 5w20 since new.

I got the letter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back