Found a 78 Continental for sale. Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
He's in Australia. It's a different market for American classics there.

Yeah,
there's a late 80s IROC Camaro in town at present in a yard, very ratty, $12,999.

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
Different strokes for different folks. I'm into 70's era luxury cars. I used to own a '74 Lincoln Mark IV. It was immaculate (74K miles) and all original except for paint, brakes, exhaust and some of the electronics.

If you can't provide covered storage for it, I wouldn't buy any classic car. That's the reason I parted with my Lincoln - lost covered storage for it. I ended up selling it to a person with a garage for it.

My old Lincoln MKIV:

That's BEAUTIFUL!!
20.gif
The Lincoln Mark III and Mark IV are two of my dream cars.

I remember someone having one of those when I was in high school (keep in mind, this was probably around 2003-2004). I think over $9000 would be way, way too high, IMO. I paid less than half that for my low mileage Firebird last year.

I am really surprised at how these cars seem to be gaining popularity. I see them for sale for way more than they were just a couple of years ago.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm into 70's era luxury cars. I used to own a '74 Lincoln Mark IV. It was immaculate (74K miles) and all original except for paint, brakes, exhaust and some of the electronics.

If you can't provide covered storage for it, I wouldn't buy any classic car. That's the reason I parted with my Lincoln - lost covered storage for it. I ended up selling it to a person with a garage for it.

My old Lincoln MKIV:

Those cars are SO cool! There used to be one just like that a few miles from my house. It was all white, lowered a little, with huge wire rims, like this:
Vtec-Wire.jpg

I'm normally not a fan of that look, but it actually fit that car really well. I wanted to buy it! I don't know what happened to that car; I haven't seen it in months.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Plus I'd probably be the only 21 year old to own one but it's my dream to own an American classic! I'm super passionate about these things and would treat it like a baby and polish it every day!

I've got a '79 (maybe '77, can't remember) Cadillac Sedan De Ville with the fuel sipping 500 2V V8 I'll make you a deal on. 2 owners, 59K miles. FOB, you arrange for the container.

edit: maybe we can work a swap for a Monaro or a Falcon. I think if they are more than 25 years old, importing them might be possible. I'm only half kidding.

Last edited:

That's a nice Lincoln. My late father had one of the designer edition Mark IV's, but I can't remember which designer label it was - it was that disgusting bland 70's creamy pukey tan color that was so popular back then ( Our 70's Caddy is a similar shade ). Had a 400/4V IIRC.

My friend had that same car in maroon in high school (1987ish) and beat it silly.

U
Originally Posted By: Win

That's a nice Lincoln. My late father had one of the designer edition Mark IV's, but I can't remember which designer label it was - it was that disgusting bland 70's creamy pukey tan color that was so popular back then ( Our 70's Caddy is a similar shade ). Had a 400/4V IIRC.

Wasn't Cartier (or maybe Bill Blass) one of them? Was that one of those two tone blue ones? I can't remember. I actually have a stack of dealership brochures that I grabbed from the Lincoln dealer when I was a kid back in the 70s.

...and when you change the timing set, get the one that is not stock. Stock set up had 8 degrees retard built into it for smog purposes.
The aftermarket steel ones, when installed "straight up" wakes up that motor, putting out the power the motor was designed to produce.
I did that to a mid '70's 460. Huge improvement.
That is, if smog testing is not an issue.

I have a 1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe.

Has a 460 and a built C6 trans (rebuilt trans when I bought it).

Love it. I converted the points to electronic ignition (Pertronix Igniter)

Redid all the brakes myself (lines, calipers, master cylinder, etc)

Rides like a dream and the coupes are very rare, even here in Los Angeles.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back