New Tires for the Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has been pushing me to replace the OEM Dunlops on my Accord (now at 66.5K.) After Saturday night's weather here, I finally had to agree (I was going for 70K.)

After looking at available options at one provider, I narrowed it down to two tires that were diametrically opposed to each other:

1. Dunlop Signature II- They would have been adequate. That is all I've got for these.
2. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Touring. Quite a step up from the "Dunflops."

Went to Provider one and got an OTD price. This provider did not have #2 in stock (and I wanted to see it,) so I went to Discount Tire. Asked him to work me up a price on the Pirelli's and he came back at $716 for four. Provider #1 gave me a price of $599.84 (and this was before rebates.) After I showed it to him in writing, he said there was no way that he could touch that price.

So I went back to the Ford dealer that I deal with and ordered them. $599.84 OTD minus $80. Pirelli rebate Minus $50 for using a Ford Service CC makes the net $469.84. Never thought that 1) I would be buying tires from a dealership and 2) I would be buying tires for my Honda from a Ford dealer. Even though I had to go through a gyration (getting a Ford Service CC) ,I was able to upgrade style of tires within the same budget that I would have spent going with the Dunlops.

This has been my experience as well, but at my local Toyota dealer. Lower than anywhere else around. I got the last set of tires for my Honda there.

I once had a windshield replaced at the Toyota dealer for about 2/3 the price of the local glass shop.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
So I went back to the Ford dealer that I deal with and ordered them. $599.84 OTD minus $80. Pirelli rebate Minus $50 for using a Ford Service CC makes the net $469.84. Never thought that 1) I would be buying tires from a dealership and 2) I would be buying tires for my Honda from a Ford dealer. Even though I had to go through a gyration (getting a Ford Service CC) ,I was able to upgrade style of tires within the same budget that I would have spent going with the Dunlops.

Keep us advised on how these tires work for you.
You'll have 20K on them in six months and you'll have some winter miles on them as well.
I'll need new tires for our very similar Accord in the next eighteen months or so.
I expect the OEM Dunlops to do around 60K, maybe a little less if the tread is pretty worn and winter is approaching.

did you get the all season or all season plus?

DT is supposed to pricematch anyone. I've never had a problem even below their cost.

Although DT did have a 200$ rebate on those tires today.

Last edited:
You live in a place where cold, snow and ice are no more than a rumor of what might be found in lands to the east and north.
I'm curious about how these tires work in a midwestern winter.

70k out of OEM tires is actually really good! I'd be happy with 30-40k from the OE.

And don;t forget, OEM tires are always cheaper and lower quality than tires you'll buy at a tire shop or even Walmart. Even with the same name, OE vs aftermarket tires with the same name are NOT the same tire! Michelin is the worst offender here, really good aftermarket tires but poor OE tires.

I actually like Dunlop tires and wouldn't hesitate to use the Signature II. They're US-made, and less than $70 at Walmart. With installation, they'd be well under $400 for the set.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Keep us advised on how these tires work for you.
You'll have 20K on them in six months and you'll have some winter miles on them as well.
I'll need new tires for our very similar Accord in the next eighteen months or so.
I expect the OEM Dunlops to do around 60K, maybe a little less if the tread is pretty worn and winter is approaching.

They are amazing. It just flat out drives like a nicer car than it is.
Even with the snow tonight, the car felt amazingly stable on the road.
These tires make me realize how the OE Dunlops are out of the league of the vehicle.
It wasn't this quiet when I drove it off the lot new.
These Pirelli's really Change the dynamics of the car.

Originally Posted By: Rand
did you get the all season or all season plus?

DT is supposed to pricematch anyone. I've never had a problem even below their cost.

Although DT did have a 200$ rebate on those tires today.

All Season Plus. I understand why they didn't.
$50. of the rebate was tied to the CC. They had nothing to really match apple's to apples.
The whole purchase has gone seamlessly so far.
I think that I will be buying more tires from Ford dealers.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
70k out of OEM tires is actually really good! I'd be happy with 30-40k from the OE.

And don;t forget, OEM tires are always cheaper and lower quality than tires you'll buy at a tire shop or even Walmart. Even with the same name, OE vs aftermarket tires with the same name are NOT the same tire! Michelin is the worst offender here, really good aftermarket tires but poor OE tires.

I actually like Dunlop tires and wouldn't hesitate to use the Signature II. They're US-made, and less than $70 at Walmart. With installation, they'd be well under $400 for the set.

The Dunlops have been a perfectly serviceable tire.
My only gripe is they were noisy.
With the rebate, the Dunlops were $91 OTD vs $117 for the Pirelli's.
I made an decision and bought nicer than I really needed.
I'm glad I did.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You live in a place where cold, snow and ice are no more than a rumor of what might be found in lands to the east and north.
I'm curious about how these tires work in a midwestern winter.
I didn't reply to your post. I replied to Tdbo.
But, it doesn't matter that I don't live where there's snow, I simply posted that I liked them. This is compared to my previous set of Michelins which are supposed to be the best tire out there and they were garbage. One tire was defective and cupped, the rest of them were insanely loud on the highway, handled poorly enough to make my stability control enable on turns, and traction broke loose easily. So far in the 2,300 miles and 1.5 months I've put on them, they're very quiet and handle great (80 mph freeway turns). Can't find a single thing to complain about them.

Thanks!
Now I know at least one tire to include among those I'll look at when we put tires on our '12.
Sounds like a nice upgrade over the OEM tire, which isn't bad and probably as good as the Michelins Honda used to put on an Accord LX. I know that the OEM Michelins on our '99 were pretty okay but nothing great.

Had horrible experience with Dunlop Signature II tires. Never been able to balance them.
Of all all-season tires I had, best were:
1. Continental DWS (not 70K, but good in light snow).
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

I personally would go with this for OH:
1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Had horrible experience with Dunlop Signature II tires. Never been able to balance them.
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

I had the Michelin MXV4 OEM on my 2009 Accord EX-L. When it came to wet traction there is only one word I can come up with-DANGEROUS!

I just bought the same tire for my Accord. P7 a/s plus 215/55VR17 shipped from DTD during their sale over the weekend. $660 out the door and then $200 off from rebates. The showed up yesterday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

I had the Michelin MXV4 OEM on my 2009 Accord EX-L. When it came to wet traction there is only one word I can come up with-DANGEROUS!

I suppose to be more accurate.
Personally, in OH I would be driving Summer/winter tire combination. But it is what it is.
Michelin? Premier A/S I think would do job good. I know one thing, the longer tire lasts, the worse is in wet (meaning handling not hydroplaning resistance).
Again, that is me. But I am a guy who drives winter tires in winter and performance tires in summer.
Personally, I think in places like in OH, any AS tire is just being cheap where you should not be.

edyvw said:
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

Personally, I think in places like in OH, any AS tire is just being cheap where you should not be.

Everyone has their opinion.....
However, as someone who has lived in Ohio for 53 years, and has driven throughout the state since his sixteenth birthday, A/S tires are just fine.
The only possible exception to my stance would be in the extreme NE "Snowbelt" area of Ohio, where dedicated winter tires could be of benefit. When I used to drive in this area on a daily basis, it was in a 2WD Ford Ranger with unstudded Snows and 250lbs of sand in the bed. It went fine and I passed many a 4WD SUV in a ditch while I chugged on by in my compact pickup.
Proper driving technique is of great benefit.
However here in Central Ohio, for the two or three days they are needed , the cost does not justify the minimal benefit. On those days, it is cheaper to just stay home.

edyvw said:
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

However, as someone who has lived in Ohio for 53 years, and has driven throughout the state since his sixteenth birthday, A/S tires are just fine.
The only possible exception to my stance would be in the extreme NE "Snowbelt" area of Ohio, where dedicated winter tires could be of benefit. When I used to drive in this area on a daily basis, it was in a 2WD Ford Ranger with unstudded Snows and 250lbs of sand in the bed. It went fine and I passed many a 4WD SUV in a ditch while I chugged on by in my compact pickup.
However here in Central Ohio, for the two or three days they are needed , the cost does not justify the minimal benefit. On those days, it is cheaper to just stay home.

Why people are always concern more with moving forward then braking?
Who cares whether I am faster than some AWD, but it matters to me much more whether I will be able to stop on black ice, ice, very cold weather.
Last time I checked, OH in all places has icy areas in fall, winter and spring.
If I lived anywhere north of TN, I would use at least Michelin xice3. Lot cheaper than body work, or god forbid medical bills.

Last edited:
edyvw said:
2. Bridgestone AS 970.

1. Continental DWS
2. Michelin

Why people are always concern more with moving forward then braking?
Who cares whether I am faster than some AWD, but it matters to me much more whether I will be able to stop on black ice, ice, very cold weather.
Last time I checked, OH in all places has icy areas in fall, winter and spring.
If I lived anywhere north of TN, I would use at least Michelin xice3. Lot cheaper than body work, or god forbid medical bills.

Everybody is a pro driver and will not get in to an accident no matter what the conditions. Most vehicles are not purchased for their safety features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back