Simple Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may strip the way, IDK! Be careful and rinse down the area of your car/paint that you think you may have gotten some SG on. Just use caution though, I don't think it will hurt the paint but, I could be wrong!

I have used SG straight on some road tar that was down the side of my car but, I also rinsed down that area that I had cleaned(keep a bucket of fresh water with you). I also did the job in the shade. Then infact, I proceeded to wash the whole car anyway! I applied(either spray bottle or gallon jug)the SG right on the tar itself and allowed some setup time(few seconds) and the tar wiped right off.

I also believe that SG has dilution instructions on the label and also, I don't think that you'll want to use SG straight as it is concentrated.

As-far-as aluminum wheels, use diluted SG as you can always go stronger!

Been using it for years on car and motorcycle wheels, degunking the motors, washing grease/oil off hands, etc. Of course it will take the wax off the paint, but i've never seen any harm to the paint where it got sprayed on while doing wheels and motors.
I did rinse it off tho...........good stuff.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Don't use Simple Green on aluminum wheels or engines. They make this product which is much better suited for those surfaces. Start with a diluted mix and work up if needed. As with any of these cleaners it might strip wax.

http://simplegreen.com/products/pro-hd-cleaner-degreaser/

Yep,this is the one to get,the HD Pro. Home Depot is where I get it.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Been using it for years on car and motorcycle wheels, degunking the motors, washing grease/oil off hands, etc. Of course it will take the wax off the paint, but i've never seen any harm to the paint where it got sprayed on while doing wheels and motors.
I did rinse it off tho...........good stuff.

+1 ^^^ this. If you are concerned about a film wash it off with car wash soap. It is excellent for removing brake dust.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Don't use Simple Green on aluminum wheels or engines. They make this product which is much better suited for those surfaces. Start with a diluted mix and work up if needed. As with any of these cleaners it might strip wax.

Yep,this is the one to get,the HD Pro. Home Depot is where I get it.

I got it from HD too. It is safer and better suited for aluminum according to what the people who make it told me.

I use it for general purpose motorcycle cleaner. I spray it on the engine and it works well. Then I wash the rest of the bike w/car wash soap.

Thanks Demarpaint.

I just washed the engines of my E430 and S2000 last couple weeks when we had mid 80F here in So Cal, I used some cleaning solution my wife has in her kitchen, it didn't clean the engine very well. I will try this Simple Green Pro-HD for the next engine and wheel wash for my daughter Volvo V70.

The high of mid 80's is gone, we are back to low 70's to high 60's now and may have some drizzle or shower next week. How is the cold winter and lot of snow treat you ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Thanks Demarpaint.

I just washed the engines of my E430 and S2000 last couple weeks when we had mid 80F here in So Cal, I used some cleaning solution my wife has in her kitchen, it didn't clean the engine very well. I will try this Simple Green Pro-HD for the next engine and wheel wash for my daughter Volvo V70.

The high of mid 80's is gone, we are back to low 70's to high 60's now and may have some drizzle or shower next week. How is the cold winter and lot of snow treat you ?

No problem! You said. "High 70's to mid 80's, 60's now." My wife would love living there! We're single digits here, and snow and ice are on the way. My fleet is crying for a good wash.

Been using regular SG diluted 50/50 with water for years to clean engines with great results. I am sure there has been overspray on fenders, glass, rubber, plastic, etc. Never a problem but I do wash car afterwards. Used to use Gunk but SG is cheaper, more versatile for other jobs, smells MUCH better, safer. Just bought gallon at Walmart for Has never hurt aluminum and I do follow up after drying with light coat of pure silcone spray from Ace hardware. Looks great on black surfaces.

Last edited:
I have had great results with simple green on wheels and engine bays. Meguiars all purpose cleaner (alc) also works well on wheels and tires.

I have been using Simple Green for about 30 years, it was and probably still is a staple in the dirt bike world. For auto I use a mix of about 50/50 water to product for wheels/tires and it always works great. It is mild and if you get a little on the paint just spray it off or wipe. We used to joke that after a long day riding dirt you could use it for a sponge bath or even brush your teeth with it if need be!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back