just an observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my S10, I fully flushed out the cooling system when I replaced the intake manifold gasket and replaced the original radiator (less than a year ago). I am using approx. 30% supertech all makes all model 70% distilled water. I went with that ratio because I live in Los Angeles, CA where it's 60 degrees in the dead of winter, no concern with freezing coolant. I took my truck up to Mammoth Lakes, CA where it's relatively colder than Los Angeles. The truck was parked for 2 days. In the morning of the 2nd day, I opened up the coolant reservoir cap to inspect the coolant and it was flowing like normal. I believe the temp over night was between 10 and 20 degrees. I started the truck and it runs with normal temps. So, my observation, the 30 coolant / 70 distilled water ratio works in non severe weather areas. FYI, I have Valvoline Nextgen 5W30 in the crankcase.

I don't remember where I read it or the exact ratio, but I remember reading that "optimal" coolant/water ratio is going to be more water than coolant and, somewhat counterintuatively, 50/50 is not as effective as one would think. It sounds like you're close to that optimal ration, IMHO.

30% should be good to about 5F

More water is better for heat transfer, its worse for boiling protection, freeze protection.

Last edited:
Water works better for actually cooling an engine than coolant does. 30/70 might be a pretty good ratio.

Doesn't antifreeze have additives that fight corrosion and lubricate the water pump bearings? How does having less additives work into the equation?

As far as the freezing temperature is concerned, this is a typical graph for ethylene glycol:

freezept.gif

With some antifreeze in there you'll get a less-destructive slush when it gets too cold and not a rock hard, expanding, ice cube like water.

You kind of went the other way with it.

They usually state 50/50 as optimal, with 70/30 acceptable, but you went 30/70.

Why not half and half? Wile LA doesnt get cold, it doesnt get hot either, does it? I mean, do you all get in the ocean in the summer life we do on the Gulf. In Florida, sitting right on the beach feels good in the summertime, but sit back 50-100ft from the water and the breeze just isnt there and you bake.

I went 30 coolant / 70 dist water because of the fact that water transfers heat better. If I lived in New Hamshire or Minnesota type weather, I would do 50/50 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back