1989 Harley Electra Glide. 2481 miles on Max Life 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Looks perfect! I'd stick with this oil.

I wasn't sure how this oil would do, so I have Valvoline VR-1 in it now. Since I have a K&N air filter and the fact that the engine breather is routed into the air cleaner, I was also curious to see if that had any effect on the UOA. I also had to re-seal the air filter seal area and I wasn't sure how well it would seal. I guess it's OK.

Thanks for posting the UOA, Im new to Harley, picked up a 14 Road King last August while I was on vacation, of all places two states away. Left the old bike Vstar1300 at Pigeon Forge Harley and rode home on the new RK.
Anyway, Im not normally loyal to motor oil brands, but Valvoline always seems to post good UOAs never unpleasant surprises, including their conventional 20/50 Motorcycle Oil which I became a believer in on my vstar, I posted a good UOA in this forum back in 2012 which isnt to many pages back.
Im also a believer in conventional oil in the bike, not sure why, maybe because I change a few times a year sooner rather then later using conv. I did my first change on the RK before winter (1000 miles) with HD conventional 360, will do another in the spring, at some point I think I will need to go to another oil as the conventional HD360 has disappeared from HDs website, as well as Primary + ... now they only have the Synthetic HD 360 which I dont plan on using.
So im tossing things around, most likely will use a conv Valvoline (VR1) in the engine and Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil in the Primary, maybe a synthetic (Amsoil or Syn VR1) in the transmission. ALL 20/50 oils.
Anyway, good report, on a 26 year old bike, in fact, great report. I wouldnt think twice about the "thinning" it still is border line, almost 50 weight oil and I would think another 1000 miles it would level out to still above a 45 weight.

Last edited:
Welcome to the HD family. I picked up around five, 5+ qt jugs from AZ last year. They were on clearance for $5 each. I figured if the UOA looked bad, I could always run it in my truck. Right now I have Valvoline VR-1 dino in the bike. I saw a UOA here on BITOG and it looked real good. I plan on alternating between the ML and something else or maybe do a Franken-brew with half ML. I was also wondering about how well the K&N air filter was working. With silicone so low, I guess it did alright. Thanks for commenting. I'm no UOA expert, so it's nice to get confirmation from someone else.

Yes I saw that vr1 uoa, it was impressive. Over the years I have become a fan of Valvoline products. That max life looks pretty good for the HD. There maybe a reason HD mixes in some conventional oil in their "full synthetic" Syn 3. So the Max Life may do the job nicely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back