L10241 from a Harley cut open pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Here's an L10241 that I used for 2,481 miles and one year on my Harley FLHTC Electra Glide, 1340 cc, air cooled engine, non-shared sump. Looks like the filter date is September 30, 2013. I was using regular Maxlife conventional 20W50. According to the Purolator website, the L10241 appears to be the same as the ML16822, which they show as a motorcycle specific filter.

Here's the info on the ML 16822: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=Ml16822

Here's the info on the L10241:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L10241

Since there have been lots of tears on the L10241, I was curious to see what it looked like having had 20W50 run through it for almost 2500 miles. Everything looks good. Anti-drain valve was pliable and the filter looks good with no tears or defects that I could see.

I had bought the Maxlife last year when Autozone had it for $1 a quart. I'm going to send a sample off to see what it looks like. Enjoy the pics.

Looks excellent. I'd say based on the specs it is the same as the motorcycle specific application. Likely the only difference is the can color. That plus a price difference I'm guessing.

And MaxLife 20w50 for $1/qt is a great deal. That's what I call a solid value Harley oil/filter change.

Excellent pics and a nice clean cut on the can.

Thanks for cutting and posting.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would think an air cooled engine would be harder on oil.

I was thinking that to. But also has way less moving parts. And less cylinders.

I am using this L10241 in the Lexus and Mazda in my signature with the same results and looks. I HAVE NOT found any tears yet though, the filters haven't looked as good as they did just several years ago...straighter pleats and thicker media!

Nice looking filter. Just add one or two more pleats around the seam and it becomes a *perfect* filter IMO.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would think an air cooled engine would be harder on oil.

I was thinking that to. But also has way less moving parts. And less cylinders.
Big slow turning engines are easier on oil.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks excellent. I'd say based on the specs it is the same as the motorcycle specific application. Likely the only difference is the can color. That plus a price difference I'm guessing.

And MaxLife 20w50 for $1/qt is a great deal. That's what I call a solid value Harley oil/filter change.

Excellent pics and a nice clean cut on the can.

Thanks for cutting and posting.

Yeah, I'm sure the color and price are the only difference. Can't see Purolator making their motorcycle filter from some magical filter material.

Someone had posted a VOA on Harley's 360HD oil. It didn't look like anything special or that much different than ML. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...0_V#Post3575297

I bought the cutter from Harbor Freight at Christmas. I think I paid less than $10. With a litle effort, I was able to cut open a PL30001 filter from my truck. It's a pretty big filter. It works great on the smaller filters.

wow that looks almost new your engine must be super clean that filtet after almost 3000 miles still looked good and seemed to be very clean.
purolaters don't always look that good when brand new. Even when purolater built good filters years back i don't remember them looking that good.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson

Yeah, I'm sure the color and price are the only difference. Can't see Purolator making their motorcycle filter from some magical filter material.

This is what Purolator says about using a PureOne on motorcycles. I know this is a Classic, but they make it sound like their PowerSport filters are designed differently. Also, I believe if you bought a Purolator filter that they spec for your bike, it would most likely not be made in the USA.

Purolator "PowerSport" Filters

"If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

glad to see that someone else doesn't buy into the motorcycle specific filters.

I've been using regular automotive filters on my bike and my fathers/brothers bikes and also my 4wheelers. never a problem.

they either take the 14612 or 610

beats paying for a 10 dollar filter of equal or less quality any day.

.....Yeah, I'm sure the color and price are the only difference. Can't see Purolator making their motorcycle filter from some magical filter material.

Agreed. I googled images the application number you posted, ML 16822 and the color is different, black, everything else appear the same from the exterior and same listed specs. Also several Harley sites list alternatives and the PL/L 10241 is one. Obviously as noted you had an excellent result. And while this isn't a P1, another member here posted using one in his power sports application with no issues. His opinion on that thread, Puro likely trying to sell more expensive ps filters. But this is a Classic here anyway with the solid result.

As for your HF cutter, looks like they may be closing or have closed them out now. Seems the newer made in China haven't been as durable/reliable as older made in Taiwan, I own the latter. But as noted, your cut looks good on this one.

.....Yeah, I'm sure the color and price are the only difference. Can't see Purolator making their motorcycle filter from some magical filter material.

Purolator says their motorcycle filters are made from synthetic media, so it is different than the Classic or PureOne media.

"Motorcycles – synthetic fiber media holds maximum dirt, for maximum protection."

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Purolator says their motorcycle filters are made from synthetic media, so it is different than the Classic or PureOne media.

"Motorcycles – synthetic fiber media holds maximum dirt, for maximum protection."

I see that on their website. What I don't see is the micron rating. Also, when I search on the ML16822 p/n or search for a filter that fits my bike, nothing comes up. Weird.

This is what Purolator says about using a PureOne on motorcycles. I know this is a Classic, but they make it sound like their PowerSport filters are designed differently. Also, I believe if you bought a Purolator filter that they spec for your bike, it would most likely not be made in the USA.

Purolator "PowerSport" Filters

"If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

I like the reply from the guy who put together this cross reference page for motorcycle filters.
smile.gif

Quote:
I had no idea motorcycles weren't vehicles. I do wish they would inform the DMV, who keeps assessing me a motor vehicle tax and requiring me to get motor vehicle insurance.

He also makes another good point.

Quote:
The Purolator ML line of filters is made in China, imported, and rebranded to Purolator. That's your big clue about how much they love you and how carefully they engineer filters for your bike.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Quote:
The Purolator ML line of filters is made in China, imported, and rebranded to Purolator. That's your big clue about how much they love you and how carefully they engineer filters for your bike.

Could be that the Purolator oil filters for motorcycles are re-badged Hi-Flo filters, which is what K&N oil filters are for motorcycles. If they have full synthetic media, they aren't a cheap low tier filter.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
glad to see that someone else doesn't buy into the motorcycle specific filters.

I've been using regular automotive filters on my bike and my fathers/brothers bikes and also my 4wheelers. never a problem.

they either take the 14612 or 610

beats paying for a 10 dollar filter of equal or less quality any day.
Napa lists the 1334 Gold car filter for my bike.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Quote:

Could be that the Purolator oil filters for motorcycles are re-badged Hi-Flo filters, which is what K&N oil filters are for motorcycles. If they have full synthetic media, they aren't a cheap low tier filter.

Who cares if they are re-badged or not. I know that the L10241 is rated at 97.5 @20 microns. I know that from cutting it open, it looks good and functioned accordingly. As far as the ML16822, who knows how efficient it is. I won't hesitate using the L10241 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back