Fuel filters? some never need changing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
my old VW in 80s Germans said change fuel filter every 15k miles,
94 camry - had NO filter change frequency,
2004 toyota, same no filter change and no engine compartment filter,
99 maxima, apple sized filter on firewall I change it like every 40 k miles
why such a difference?
all cars were fuel injection

Some have in-tank filters that are integrated into the fuel pump assembly. Those are typically massive and not designed to be changed out unless the pump fails.

Returnless fuel systems also reduced the amount of fuel being circulated, so the volume of fuel going through the fuel system was reduced by quite a bit.

Exactely! As sciphi says, the fuel pump assemblies(pump/float/filter) is such a large unit in and of itself that, unless the pump fails, there's no need for periodic replacement(like the old inline filter or two).

Gas stations used to have steel tanks that would rust those particles went into the gas. Steel tanks are now illegal for environmental reasons and the gas is far cleaner today as a result

Toyota factory filters are much better than the aftermarket so don't waste your money changing them unless you are past 300k miles (probably more like 400k).

They are in a location that is hard to get to for a reason. Spend your money on other parts for your Toyota's and leave the fuel filter alone.

Also, I believe an in-tank filter can be positioned low such that it's always being rinsed off. It will catch debris and that debris will simply fall away with motion.
I suppose in a severe application lots of dirt could continually collect and reclog an in tank filter but those scenarios would be addressed separately. Kira

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Toyota factory filters are much better than the aftermarket so don't waste your money changing them unless you are past 300k miles (probably more like 400k).

They are in a location that is hard to get to for a reason. Spend your money on other parts for your Toyota's and leave the fuel filter alone.
300K on one of my Camry filters. There's a "quick change" fitting on one end of the fuel line which breaks off as often as it works. Dealers tend to avoid touching the filter unless there is a low pressure fuel code showing. If you ask them to change it without cause you'll get an "on your head be it" reply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Some have in-tank filters that are integrated into the fuel pump assembly. Those are typically massive and not designed to be changed out unless the pump fails.

What does this mean to you (the consumer)? Instead of a $10, 15 minute job. It will eventually be a $400 and all day job. Just another way that manufacturers stick it to the little guys (us.) Every vehicle should have an easily serviced fuel filter. They eventually always get clogged full of gunk, no matter what type of fuel or additives you use. But the dealerships want you to come back so they can raid your wallet. Same reason ball joints dont have Zirc fittings anymore, you can barely grease any suspension components, etc etc. Sad but true.

That Camry has a fuel filter just below the master cylinder. Not too hard to change, it screws on on both ends.

I dont like the idea of non serviceable filters. They remind me of "lifetime" ATF fluids.

My Jeep has a rock catcher inside the tank IIRC, but the actual filter/ regulator is in the back along a frame rail near the tank. They are both "non serviceable."

I replaced mine 1.5 years ago. My old filter was filthy.. Made the gas look like coffee when I drained it and the filter element was black with crud when I cut it open.

No power/ MPG increases, but I am sure i did it some favors.

The factory filter on the M5 looks like a pipe bomb, LOL!!! But it is insanely easy to change
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That Camry has a fuel filter just below the master cylinder. Not too hard to change, it screws on on both ends.

My old '92 Corolla was the same way. Easy to change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back