Gun barrel storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a blued gun barrel that I want to store long term and I want to keep it like new with no rust. I'm thinking about coating it in axle grease and also running a patch of grease down the bore then placing it in a plastic bag? Any thoughts?

First of all, store it in an air conditioned and heated area. And I wouldn't risk grease. If grease dries out it will leave permanent stains in the finish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have a blued gun barrel that I want to store long term and I want to keep it like new with no rust. I'm thinking about coating it in axle grease and also running a patch of grease down the bore then placing it in a plastic bag? Any thoughts?
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Cosmoline.My mosin nagants were packed with it since 1948? no rust , takes some work to get out of everthing but it will keep it from rusting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/267557/tipton-cosmoline-rust-preventative-12-oz

Sorry i just saw that it is discontinued.

Perhaps here.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

I have not used this, but they state it works as well as cosmoline, seems the orginal is not made anymore.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-ch...-prod26344.aspx

Last edited:
That Rust veto or if you can find cosomline works well. Any mil surp shooter has seen what it can do. Usually the guns were coated with it, then wrapped in a wax paper and tied with string. You could cosmoline it, wrap it in wax paper and stick it somewhere climate controlled.

To get rid of it....kerosene works wonders.

I was going to say to fill a pvc or metal pipe with oil to flood it and the barrel, and cap it.

Flooded in oil seems to me to be a straightforward approach and the easiest to clean after.

The other option is just to coat heavily in oil...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was going to say to fill a pvc or metal pipe with oil to flood it and the barrel, and cap it.

Flooded in oil seems to me to be a straightforward approach and the easiest to clean after.

The other option is just to coat heavily in oil...

What a great idea!!!!

Wonder lube or Bore Butter, the stuff for muzzle loader's is excellent. I have guns stored for 20+ yrs coated once with this and they look as good as the day I put them away. I melt the lube on the guns with a hair dryer and rub it in, after that dries put another non melted coat on.

Breakfree Collector was made just for this purpose and it works great.

821194.jpg

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Coat it with either CorrosionX or Caig's "MechanicAll."

Honestly, I'm of the opinion axle grease and bagged in plastic is quite good as long as it's going to stay in a garage, basement or similar semi-climate controlled environment.

Good example: here's one of my favorite guns. This is a Pilot's Victory S&W .38 Special. 1st Navy contract from 1942. Really hard to find, especially with the original finish 90% or better - the "Black Magic" finish S&W used during WWII was a real cut-rate way around paying to use the (then) proprietary Parkerizing. This gun was used in WWII, then packed in Valvoline axle grease and wrapped in some (non-waxed) Kraft paper in the '50s and spend the next 50 years in that state. I "liberated" it about 8 or 10 years ago. Interesting, they also removed the sideplate and packed the lockwork with grease, too. The interior looks like the day it left the factory, and it is a great shooting gun.

The only oxidation was under the grips were the grease didn't touch. Some bright orange rust under there that was still surface-only and easy to remove, no pitting. It was the best condition one of these I could find for sale, and I spent years looking before and since. So I'll take a well-packed and covered axle grease job for a while. It is true the axle grease can dry out and stain - but it has to be exposed to the elements to get a lot of air flow and/or water - but if it's sealed it will last a looooong time.

IMGP5454PEF.jpg

Corrosion X, stored in a safe with a golden rod. All guns do better in a closed slightly heated above ambient temp. Raises the pressure in the storage which keeps moisture out. I have guns in one and skis/snowboards in another no rust ever. for years

Not the cheapest, overkill maybe, but:
Hose it down with Boeshild T-9, then get a roll of VCI paper, wrap the barrel in it, then put it in plastic.

VCI paper is handy.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Not the cheapest, overkill maybe, but:
Hose it down with Boeshild T-9, then get a roll of VCI paper, wrap the barrel in it, then put it in plastic.

VCI paper is handy.

That's close to what I do. Boeshield, wrap in VCI plastic*, then wrap in vacuum food storage Bag (cut from roll) as a outer layer.

BSW

*I got my VCI plastic from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back