Name oil Filters That Have Quality Synthetic Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram Ultra, Amsoil EA are good - 98.7/99+% efficiency

Wix is bad with 50% efficiency at the same 20 microns, although the Wix XP might have more going on with internal leakage besides the media.

Is it a full moon tonight? Between this and the my buddy's car was overfilled for however many thousands of miles post...
21.gif

Fram Ultra is the only one you gotta know. Only some specialty Mercedes-only oil filters do better.
If you can find a Purolater full synthetic media oil media filter in your size, those are about as good. Amsoil and Royal Purple ones are good with all synthetic media, last I remember.

I judge a filter by how clean it can keep my oil for a length of time. I measure by filtration microns, capacity, and flow. Unfortunately I haven't seen filters compared by these 3 metrics.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Wix is bad with 50% efficiency at the same 20 microns, although the Wix XP might have more going on with internal leakage besides the media.

I would not believe any Wix stories that come out of Motorkings mouth.

Purolator Synthetic! Great filter and very cost efficient. I started using them last year with great result. Definetely a contender for best synthetic filter available on the market today.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Also check out the Royal Purple filters. Those things are a little more expensive, but almost bulletproof. Ridiculously thick can and tough construction.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/

Originally Posted By: steveh

Why not?

I think its fair to say he would know about the competition as it sounds like they do plenty of tests on them. (Most manufactures seem do this sort of thing. They have to know what they're up against right?)

Not knocking WIX whatsoever (I am using 2 at the moment.), but their specs do leave something to be desired.. Especially their top tiered WIX XP.

The XP seems a bit redundant to me. Apparently with the lesser efficiency, it can allow a dirty engine's OCI to go longer without filling up the filter? Okay Ill buy that I guess.. But why would any one do an extended drain interval on something that's dirty?

I am one of those people who think efficiency is a bit over rated. Toyota OEM filters are proof that is not necessary.. But paying $13+ for a filter when I can buy potentially "better" for half the price seems silly to me.

If the WIX XP makes you happy, go for it. They are built quite nicely.

Well-since your name is "crazy"-here goes-off the top of my head-
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Amsoil EaO
Purolator Synthetic
Donaldson Endurance
Fleetguard Stratapore
Luberfiner Imperial XL
Bosch Long Life
Pennzoil Platinum HE
There's probably others, as well as filters with blended syn media, such as Mobil 1, Fram Tough Guard, & Bosch Distance Plus.

Don't even put the Wix XP or NAPA Platinum (same filter) on ANY list since the filtration is so poor on those. That is, if filtration is important to a consumer buying a filter. Strangely, some people don't care if their filters actually filter, for those the Wix XP napa Platinum are perfect.

Originally Posted By: steveh

You can call the WIX Tech Dept and they themselves will tell you the WIX XP efficiency is rated at 50% @ 20 microns.

Quote:
....the Wix XP might have more going on with internal leakage besides the media.

Internal leakage??? How would that be occuring? Got an authoritative independent link to document that claim?

The only similar and also undocumented claim I've seen recently posted was regarding Wix combo valves. But as the 'XP using combo valves' claim has now been thoroughly disproven, that can be no factor. That said, even that would also assume the Wix combo valve leakage claim is accurate. Considering that one can only find that claim from one non independent source on the internet, to me it remains complete hearsay.

OT As the first reply by a member to the claim appears to indicate, a growing number of those frequenting this board are becoming aware of the sourcing and credibility (or lack of) of negative claims regarding Wix filters on this board. So imo, at least a positive has come out the claims.

Funny how so many people will want the best oil filtration available, yet they don't even think about their air filter, which is in alot of areas more important than oil filters, as far as engine longevity is concerned. Oil longevity is also extended when better air filtration is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back