Great Timing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once got a nail puncture in non repairable area not too long after a new tire set purchase at DT. Hadn't purchased the Certs. So DT sold me a new tire for the price of the Certs for four tires. Still significantly less than the new tire price, plus had the Cert coverage. Thought that was very fair.

That is a significant looking cut, more than just a nail type puncture.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I just don't understand why Michelin is held in such high regard here - almost godlike status.

It probably depends on your perspective. I don't feel like it is (held in such a status). There are plenty of accounts of poor experience with Michelin tires, and a number of people don't hide the fact that they don't buy them. I, myself, have bought four Firestones a few weeks ago after many, many sets of Michelin tires. Everyone's experience varies.

Interestingly, if FCAC didn't have the Destination LE2s for 25% off, I'd have paid FAR MORE for these Firestones than the Michelins I otherwise would have bought, the Defenders. Michelins aren't always the most expensive choice, and anything-but-Michelin isn't always cheaper.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Because there not made in China. China tried to destroy the US tire industry by flooding the US market with cheap government subsidized tires. Who in there right mind would support that is a better question.

I specifically will only buy tires made in China for my Japanese car made in Kentucky.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I just don't understand why Michelin is held in such high regard here - almost godlike status.

It probably depends on your perspective. I don't feel like it is (held in such a status). There are plenty of accounts of poor experience with Michelin tires, and a number of people don't hide the fact that they don't buy them. I, myself, have bought four Firestones a few weeks ago after many, many sets of Michelin tires. Everyone's experience varies.

Interestingly, if FCAC didn't have the Destination LE2s for 25% off, I'd have paid FAR MORE for these Firestones than the Michelins I otherwise would have bought, the Defenders. Michelins aren't always the most expensive choice, and anything-but-Michelin isn't always cheaper.

The last 2 sets of Michelins I bought were garbage. Never again. They are on my s**t list with GM.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The last 2 sets of Michelins I bought were garbage. Never again. They are on my s**t list with GM.
Yup. My grandmother's Trailblazer had 2 sets of Michelin Cross Terrains, 1st set was all splitting at the sidewall and the 2nd set was cracking really bad. Luckily it's got Continentals on it now. My Beetle had Michelin HydroEdges and they were garbage too. It has Pirellis now.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Is that evidence of an impact on the wheel or is it residue from the installation and coincidentally directly in line with the tire damage?

Impact damage. The scuffs on the sidewall just above that area of the rim confirm.

Ed

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Probably someone trying to make themselves feel good for buying low grade chinesium tires...

One of my sets of tires were made in China, yes.

But they are of good quality. I just don't understand why Michelin is held in such high regard here - almost godlike status.

Youre right, nothing should be blindly held in 'godlike' status.

And Michelin surely makes tires in china too... But keep in mind that Michelin does produce a LOT of different tires over a wide range of applications, and they do quite well overall. The fact that they are typically the selection of high end and sports cars also very likely says something to their quality and performance... Since their selection is nor due to cost cutting.

Ive bought Cooper tires too, US made ones, and Ive been quite pleased.

OP weighed the options (likely limited due to shopping at Costco), and decided upon two tires. One was bad. May be user error, maybe not. It needs to be fixed and move on.

Infant mortality and some non-compliant product is always going to be the case, regardliess of COO. But to argue that michelins are inferior is IMO quite a stretch.

Ive run Michelin, Dunlop, BFG, Bridgestone and Cooper. Ive gotten first world made tires and have been happy with them all. And Im sure all brands make poor tires too...

I'm not a fan of Michelin tires although I do think they're generally of high quality...some of their models seem to be susceptible to surface cracking more than other tires I've used. IMO, they're just too expensive and don't provide a value proposition when in my use they typically haven't lasted as long as most other brands I've used.

In terms of Chinese-made tires, you have to know what you're buying to a significant degree because ( as was stated above ) many manufacturers have Chinese-made tires...some good...some not so good. Because it's a Chinese-made tire DOES NOT mean it's a cheap knock-off. Ex. the original Hankook Ventus V2 Concept was a very good tire ( made in China ) for the money but the new version ( made in Indonesia ) is definitely not as good or robust as the Chinese tire. Then there are the cheapie Chinese brands that are poor tires for no money...that's a different category. Like many things today, the quality is more in tune with the manufacturer than where it's made. We're down to Goodyear and Cooper as the only two U.S. based tire companies if I'm correct.

Since we only use two kinds of tires here our experiences are narrow.

But on our fleet trucks the Michelin LTX MS2's are an unbeatable combo of mileage and traction. Always the cheapest PER MILE especially on our 9000 pound vans. Very little problems and super economy are why we buy them. They can outlast the typical E rated tire up to triple the miles!

Then there's my PSS's which I will also compare to any other brand on my particular application. Quite expensive up front, but warranted for 30k miles on a car which has never gone more than 20k miles on any set of tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back