6.0 Powerstroke Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: F357
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Watch the delta between coolant and oil temp. Mine runs within 10 degrees just driving, I've seen as high as 20 degrees when towing and the turbo is constantly supplying boost.

Your oil cooler is already plugged. You should never see more than a 15 degree difference. Unloaded driving 10 is quite high. One of my 6.0s with 190,000 miles on stock everything has about a 2-3 degree difference when unloaded, 8 is the highest I've seen. It also has had the red coolant for a very long time.

I would agree with that. My neighbor's experiece was that when his cooler was plugged, he'd see 10+ deg delta just unloaded, and hauling his boat would send it 15-18 delta. He ran a stock tune; he had no "tuner" but rather just a OBD plug-in scanner module. Immediately after all the work of replacing the oil cooler, the EGR manifold, flushing and filtering the coolant circuit, etc, his temps dropped to expected levels of about 5 deg unloaded and perhaps 8-10 pulling a heavy load in the hills.

When the system is working correctly, the delta temp rise should be minimal. By the time you're seeing double digit disparity in unloaded use, it's already too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back