I used my new fluid extractor today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks strikingly similar to the Pela 6000 oil extractor that I have.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Wow. I have a water bong that looks similar to that. Cool.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it.

I think something like that makes a ton of sense for a tranny that doesn't have a drain plug. Totally worth the money. Luckily all my vehicles have a drain plug, or else I'd be shopping for something like that.

Plus you could use it for PS reservoir fluid removal.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Looks great, but I am wondering if used for an oil change how much remains at the bottom of the pan.
+1 hey Greg maybe on one of your next oil changes suck the oil out as much as you can and then crawl underneath and see how much comes out the drain plug?

Would it matter? I'm at 306kmiles on my Jetta, done lots of 12k OCI's, and the plug has never been removed from my plug. 100% topside oil changes.

My only quibble is that you washed and cleaned out the unit.

Unless you have a shop oil/water separater, it's a bit of a no-no from the environmental standpoint.

If you're only using the unit for the same type of "oil" type fluids, leaving the residue in shouldn't matter so I just store my mityvac as-is.
If your unit is poorly made where the fluids are reacting with it or eating the seals or plastic or whatever, it's going to fail later on anyway.

Last edited:
One of the Best tools in my garage. Have always had 4-5 cars in the
family. Clean and easy. Just make sure the engine is really warned up first.

It's already known how much fluid remains about 2.5 quarts max. 4T65e holds about 7.5 in the pan he got 5 out which is exactly what I told you would get in the previous thread.

You can get more out if you jack it up or put it on ramps. Just don't remember which end of the car gets the most out with ramps.

Also even if you plan on dropping the pan, the flu extractor should still be used to make it much less messy. The remaining 2-2.5 quarts can be lowered without spilling.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Looks great, but I am wondering if used for an oil change how much remains at the bottom of the pan.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Most drain plugs do not completely drain the oil pan. I've seen as much as a half quart of oil remaining in a pan after dropping it. Toyota seem to be the worst at this.

Fear not, because if your engine has an oil cooler, it's keeping some of its oil anyway. Fear not. Even with my oil coolers (all my vehicles have them) keeping some oil, my UOA's come back excellent,,even when I don't change the filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
[ expect COLD fluid to take 25 minutes or so.

I'm using a cheapo hand pump from Autozone. The $14 orange one. And it takes about 2 minutes. You can find these online for 4 bucks.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
One of the Best tools in my garage. Have always had 4-5 cars in the
family. Clean and easy. Just make sure the engine is really warned up first.

Exactly. I just love how easy, convenient, and how non-messy this device is. It makes changing fluids a joy.

Been forever, but I had one of these, and in forget if it died or I just wished it would die. After a while I hated the two piece design--could not use it one handed. On my car I can clean out the filter housing, using the tubing like a vac. But the pump would keep coming off the canister.

This design works,but I much like the one piece design I have better.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
That looks strikingly similar to the Pela 6000 oil extractor that I have.

I thought the same thing..

I've had mine about 8 years now, the plastic is pretty yellowed from all the fluids it's seen over the years but still works good.

I start extracting the oil hot, as soon as I pull into the garage. 25-30 pumps, go inside and eat dinner. Go back out and draw out the rest. The graduated marks on the side shows 5 quarts out every time on the Sienna. 5 quarts back in, change the filter from the top and done. Still in my work clothes usually, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back