Notching trapezoidal wood stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
CB356F9D-4903-431E-8B2D-C393025CC358_zpsxwe33hbg.jpg

A picture's worth a thousand words so there it is. Think oak threshold that I need to overlap one floor that's somewhat higher than the other. The oak is either 1" or 5/8" high, haven't decided what I'll use.

I have a circular saw, a compound mitre saw, and a 1 hp Palm router.

No big router with a table and fence. No table saw. I think either of those is what I actually need, but any other suggestions how to do it straight, quick and safe?

Thanks!

Hmm, I like these problem solving questions. You never have enough tools, so a table saw with a dado stack would make pretty quick work of that, or a straight bit on a router like you mentioned.

Sticking with the tools you have on hand. I think I would possibly consider using the circular saw with a straight edge guide and taking several passes to remove the notch.

Another alternative would be to build up that profile with two pieces of wood, so essentially you would use a thin spacer on the right side to get the two sides level, then get second beveled piece of wood flat on top of both sides.

You really need a table saw to do this right. Thats how i made the threshold for the doors i built. Can your borrow one from a neighbor? I made mine without a dado blade but yoy need a good precise rip fence.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Use your circular saw and set the depth you want. Make several passes and then chisel out the remaining stock.

I think this will work.

Last time I needed something like this I asked someone at work.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Use your circular saw and set the depth you want. Make several passes and then chisel out the remaining stock.

I think this will work.

Last time I needed something like this I asked someone at work.

It would be significantly easier to make a friend who has a table saw and use theirs. Ask around on the train. Maybe someone on there has one.

Given the tools you have, I'd temp attach (couple of screws?) another board with square edge along the edge of the notch. Then rout with your router using flush cut router bit with roller bearing. Make several passes to achieve depth as 1hp isn't a powerhouse and will bind and hop around if you take too much of a bite.

As others had said, I'd use a dado myself, but if you dont have that option, it becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:
I'm trying to cut 36". I don't have a table saw, but can get cuts made by a friend.

That said, I would be interested in a table saw that can affix a router on one end. I've seen these, they do exist. I'm not afraid to buy an expensive tool for this, I've had a table saw on my to buy list for a long time now. Same thing with a 1/2" router on a table. Two in one would save some footprint and likely be fine for my needs.

Decisions, decisions...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm trying to cut 36". I don't have a table saw, but can get cuts made by a friend.

That said, I would be interested in a table saw that can affix a router on one end. I've seen these, they do exist. I'm not afraid to buy an expensive tool for this, I've had a table saw on my to buy list for a long time now. Same thing with a 1/2" router on a table. Two in one would save some footprint and likely be fine for my needs.

Decisions, decisions...

No router attachment, but this is the saw i have. It folds up nice and stores on its side. It is pretty stable and i am happy with it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp...44?N=5yc1vZc29i

You need a Table saw, and make several passes in order to remove the notch, or use a Dado blade.
Much easier than trying to do it with a Router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back