Castrol Import Multi Vehicle for Toyota WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to drain and refill the the automatic transmission of a 2006 Toyota Avalon. Previously, I have used Amsoil Low Viscosity ATF. I have on hand Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF. Anyone have any experience with this fluid when used in Toyota WS ATF applications? Thanks

Just noticed that Castrol doesn't list the Toyota WS as a compatible fluid. I guess I'll go with the Amsoil Low Viscosity ATF again. Any advantages to the Amsoil over the genuine Toyota WS fluid?

I've used the 3x drain and refill method in the past with this stuff. 30k miles later and freezing temperatures outside, the car takes a long time to up shift into over drive. Due to this symptom, I'm having doubts if the Amsoil stuff has any advantage over the genuine Toyota WS ATF.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I've used the 3x drain and refill method in the past with this stuff. 30k miles later and freezing temperatures outside, the car takes a long time to up shift into over drive. Due to this symptom, I'm having doubts if the Amsoil stuff has any advantage over the genuine Toyota WS ATF.

that's weird, all our Honda ATs and Toyota ATs all shift considerably smoother on Amsoil, and on my Toyota's the power steering are also considerably smoother on Amsoil compared to MaxLife ATF and Castrol Import ATF.

but then again all our ATs are the inline 4 transmissions, not the V6 transmission your Avalon has.

from my experience on 9 of our cars: Amsoil ATF (not the ATL kind) > Castrol Import ATF > MaxLife ATF > Toyota Type IV > other dexron III ATFs. Obviously YMMV.

Last edited:
My lexus did the same shifting behavior with factory fill ws. I don't think it's amsoils fault. Might just be a Toyota quirk.

On most Toyota's/Lexus'(and many vehicles), as part of the Emission Process, the automatic transmission will not shift into OD until the engine reaches a certain temperature. Both, the Nissan and Lexus in my signature are like this. IDK about the Mazda as I don't drive it but once in a while.

My Lexus Owners Manual even states this somewhere!

I did a " poor man's flush" on the 2002 Toyota Tundra we had with 70K miles. I replaced it with Maxlife ATF. It worked just fine for us. Although the shifting wasn't bad before the change, there was a noticeable difference, ie.. smoother shifting, afterward. Not to mention the great pricing on the Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
On most Toyota's/Lexus'(and many vehicles), as part of the Emission Process, the automatic transmission will not shift into OD until the engine reaches a certain temperature. Both, the Nissan and Lexus in my signature are like this. IDK about the Mazda as I don't drive it but once in a while.

My Lexus Owners Manual even states this somewhere!

+1. My Accord and the Rainier did this too. Warms up the car faster which is nice on chilly days. It won't go to OD until I see the water temps above 140F.

Right! I think mine is set for a different temp but, the same applies!
smile.gif

And, the colder outside, the longer it takes the tranny to shift into OD. ATMOF, it's been so cold outside at times(below ZERO) that, I thought the tranny would never go into OD! But, it finally did!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
On most Toyota's/Lexus'(and many vehicles), as part of the Emission Process, the automatic transmission will not shift into OD until the engine reaches a certain temperature.
This also applies to Ford and GM as well. Both my 2000 Grand Marquis and my 2001 GMC work van do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back