Lawnboy Brick Top 7004

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 15 bucks, why not?

My dad used to have a bunch of those great little mowers. He did finally go and buy a brand new Lawn Boy, but I think he still has a couple of those things buried in the shed at the cabin. It's amazing how light those magnesium decks are.

The plastic on the coil tends to crack, some of the coils fail and some take it. The coil is the same as used on smaller Johnson Evienrude outboards, and is still available. It is inside the flywheel, look at the governor BEFORE you remove it so you can put it back. You can not set easily, I simply put 2 layers masking tape on it and slide out out a bit at a time until the tape rubs, then peel off the tape.

The cork float is not compatible with alcohol. If you coat with hot fuel proof dope for model airplanes it does much better before using it. Best to only buy alcohol free gas.

The crankcase seals will be hard and non-functional. Leads to hard starting. The are standard sizes on mine, so I replaced them WITHOUT taking the crank out. The gasket on the magneto plate is no longer available. It starts much better .now.

Running right, these are hard to beat. Replace the metal mesh with foam. It will oil itself. Many have plain rod bearings, 16 to one on oil, you can get away with 24 to one. NOT 32 to one unless you know you have needle bearing rod. That cost me a cherry quietflight model. Should have kept it and swapped in another engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxUhS-vFLWA

They are light, I love them.

Rod

Last edited:
People really love those 2 cycle Lawn Boys. Get it!

You can always sell it on Craigslist for more than you paid. But, better than that, if you want a light weight mower, they work wonderfully. Especially on steep hills or tight areas.

I have a newer LB mower, and I'm a convert. I had enough of the problems with more expensive, conventional mowers getting ruined on my rough property.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
man the sale closed at 2. who closes a sale at 2??

It was probably run by a bunch of old people. They needed their naps!
laugh.gif

Doesn't sound like you got it though. Too bad.

My first lawn mower was a 2 cycle Lawn Boy I bought from a garage sale for $30.00 back in 1990. It had more power then the Craftsman 6.75HP mower I bought to replace it. The only thing I didn't like was the 2 cycle vibration killed my wrists after cutting grass for a couple hours.

Missed it.I had to get back to the house to meet ATT. I had Uverse installed, not the TV side a week a go. There was some rather poor installation. Thats another thread.

I will drive by the house today maybe someone will be there. Saturday was the last day.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Its worth the look. Try to find a phone number too. Wouldn't hurt.

or its on the curb....

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Its worth the look. Try to find a phone number too. Wouldn't hurt.

or its on the curb....

Better yet.

According to an old geezer that I frequently talk to at the local car wash, someone in town had an old LB on the curb for spring pickup. Sat there for a few days until the city finally came around. Pretty disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back