Do Iridium Plugs Last Forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's why the interval is only 75,000 with iridium/platinum plugs for the Skyactiv engine. My owner's manual even lists the NGK and Denso part numbers. You just can't buy them anywhere else besides the dealer, at present.

NGK: DILKAR7F8
Denso: FC20HPR8

Haven't found these yet from the usual sources.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I guess that's why the interval is only 75,000 with iridium/platinum plugs for the Skyactiv engine. My owner's manual even lists the NGK and Denso part numbers. You just can't buy them anywhere else besides the dealer, at present.

NGK: DILKAR7F8
Denso: FC20HPR8

Haven't found these yet from the usual sources.

That 75k interval is for the MZR engines too. Seems odd since in 2006, the 2.3L MZR had a 100k service interval.

So far I've only found the NGK plugs on a Mazda parts site and they are almost $32 EACH!! Ridiculous. We'll see what's available when I need them, but those Champions on Rock Auto look like they ought to work fine.

The Champion plug number is 9412. I went to an online cross reference page and that number crosses to nothing because it's not in their database.

So far I've only found the NGK plugs on a Mazda parts site and they are almost $32 EACH!! Ridiculous. We'll see what's available when I need them, but those Champions on Rock Auto look like they ought to work fine.

My bet is most skyactiv engine aren't due for replacement yet. When most of them are due the price will drop.

I found the same on some very new car parts (like brake pads) as well.

^I thought of that, too, but the oldest ones in the U.S. are approaching three years. Worst case, the Champion version of the plugs are less than $10 each. On Rock Auto, they're around $5. They have iridium center and platinum disc ground electrodes. My Honda Accord came from the Ohio factory in 1989 with Champion plugs.

^I thought of that, too, but the oldest ones in the U.S. are approaching three years. Worst case, the Champion version of the plugs are less than $10 each. On Rock Auto, they're around $5. They have iridium center and platinum disc ground electrodes. My Honda Accord came from the Ohio factory in 1989 with Champion plugs.

NGK's site will only go as new as 2011 as far as their product guide. They haven't even started worrying about them yet.

Last edited:
^I noticed that as well. I guess if you were an early adopter of Skyactiv and you put on a lot of mileage you're hosed on the price unless you happened to know about Rock Auto.

The last plug change I did was 90k on my truck, they looked fine.

So I have no plans of ever touching plugs on a modern vehicle again unless I get a misfire. If I sell my cars before 150k I bet I never buy another spark plug...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back