91 miata oci recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the car 21 months bought it with 114xxx and 13 months ago I changed the oil in it with 10w30 qsgb and a p1 currently have 120200 at 13 months. So I'm averaging 2500-3000 miles a year may go up some but somewhere around there. The car was always serviced at a ford dealer with unknown oil and unknown oci. I have bought valvoline synpower 10w30 and a Fram ultra for the next change. Wanted to go syn before but had leaking seals that was just replaced. I'm thinking about 2 yr oci mileage should be around 5500-7000. I drive 2-3 times a week mostly to work which is 57 miles round trip so oil is always brought up to temp for a good while. Not much city driving It's a high reving motor with a cold air intake so I run it hard sometimes no smoke and so far no consumption even when it had leaking seals. It just seeped a little. Also how much longer would u run the current fill? 2500 at 13 mo.

Last edited:
I would do M1 HM and start out at 5000 mile oci's, doa a UOA and work my way up from there. Anything else would just be a guess.

Last edited:
If you stay with dino then once a year, if you go with synthetic then every other year since your driving condition is easy on oil.

Since it has slight leaking seals you may like to try HM oil to see if it will stop the leak.

The leaking sills have been replaced that's why I'm wanting to move to Syn
Also is my car gonna be easy on oil being such a high reving 4 Cly sports car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you stay with dino then once a year, if you go with synthetic then every other year since your driving condition is easy on oil.

Since it has slight leaking seals you may like to try HM oil to see if it will stop the leak.

I have a 92 Miata that is driven about 3k a year with 2-3 track days thrown in each year. I have had the best UOA's and quiet lifters with Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30. Other oils, such as M1 and PU have resulted in lifter clatter on start up, especially hot starts. I change the Amsoil every other year, about 6k. No cold starts below 50 deg f. for me as it is stored winters. If you use it year round, cold starts, I would try 0W- or 5W-. To be on the safe side after a year send a sample in to have it checked, and go from there. Early stock Miata's tend to be easy on oil. You mentioned a cold air intake, not sure what filter media you are using, or driving conditions, so having the oil sampled would be important to see how that filter is working, or not, IMHO. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back