Scams like this disgust me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't speak for what passes for scams elsewhere but there are more legitimate services near me that use similar marketing, are legal and do provide the noted transfer or recording services. They're similar to the "no lawyer" living trust businesses that have actual storefronts that I mentioned. They screw you price-wise but are otherwise above board in that they provide the function you need. I think we might be talking about two similar but different things.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Win
Why didn't they hold the properties as joint tenants with right of survivorship?
Short answer, there's widespread interpertation of property law which MERGES undersized abutting lots (under whatever new zoning comes along) into one bigger lot which has to be sold as a single unit if owned by one owner of group of owners. One must be careful about undersize lots which abut ending up in the same name or names. Developers will often set up two corporations "Green" and "Blue" and stagger ownership so that no tow lots owned by "Green" or "Bleu" abut. It protects them from later zoning changes which increase lot size. Once the lots are "developed", they can't be merged.

Untrue in the state of CT, be careful giving out state specific advice.

The only way to merge undersized lots in CT threw similar ownership is with similar use. IE your parents bought two lots, and built a house on one. If over the next 50 years they just cut the lot next door and maybe grow a garden its still an unimproved lot and is governed by the subdivision regulations at the time it was created. However if they decide to erect a pool, deck, driveway etc on the lot than both parcels are considered merged. Their was also a recent court case regarding sewer laterals and septic tanks merging lots which I feel is [censored] and might challenge on my own dime at some point.

Whats tricky is that each city in CT established a P&Z board and zoning regs at different periods, than revised them. In my city a lot of times I go by the 1935 zoning regs which are the most beneficial. A parcel is considered improved when one of two things happen, a structure is built IE concrete in the ground , or a building or zoning permit is pulled. If neither of those things happened since the creation of the subdivision in lets say 1930, than the parcel is still an unimproved lot and governed by the 1930's regs in terms of set backs, what you can built, and percentage of lot coverage.

Or say I record a map subdividing a parcel this year, which I already did. Now those lots go by the most current 2015 regs and 100 years from now they will still be lots.

Having said that one way you can lose use is threw drainage regs and wetlands, but that can lead into a very interesting gray area because they cannot deny you the use of your property. This is where you can drop boatloads of money quick on attorneys and engineering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Win
Why didn't they hold the properties as joint tenants with right of survivorship?
Short answer, there's widespread interpertation of property law which MERGES undersized abutting lots (under whatever new zoning comes along) into one bigger lot which has to be sold as a single unit if owned by one owner of group of owners. One must be careful about undersize lots which abut ending up in the same name or names. Developers will often set up two corporations "Green" and "Blue" and stagger ownership so that no tow lots owned by "Green" or "Bleu" abut. It protects them from later zoning changes which increase lot size. Once the lots are "developed", they can't be merged.

The parcels in my original post are ag parcels and one ag dwelling parcel (ag and ag dwelling are separate values, but can be the same parcel in Iowa). Some are separated by a road or waterway, a couple are joined but were purchased separately. They range from 38 to 162 acres for the ag parcels and about 3 acres for the ag dwelling parcel.

It's not uncommon for a farmer to purchase neighboring ag parcels, but there's no reason to merge them so it's not uncommon for a farmer to own 15 or 20 ag parcels if he managed to buy up a couple neighboring farms.

Since my mother passed and she was listed as a deed owner on 6 of the 11 parcels we filed an affidavit of surviving spouse for each of the parcels so it was in my dad's name only. The "Records Transfer Service" clearly has a method of detecting whenever properties change deed ownership, and it's not hard to scrape the data from the assessor's website with the owner mailing address.

Put a piece of blank paper in the return envelope and send it back to them and FILL IT WITH GLITTER.

They deserve it.

People that prey on orphans, widows and the elderly can go straight down to the hot place.

I had fun with an ATT rep when I discovered all the #$%! on a great-aunts phone bill. In particular, who signed her up for in-wall wire insurance....when she was living in a retirement home? Nearly cut her bill in half. I warned the rep I would be periodically checking up and the next time, I'd file a complaint with Tx PUC and the consumer protection division of the Texas Attorney's General Office.

I also found an HVAC contractor who had another Aunt on a yearly service check to light her pilot light. After designing and replacing my own HVAC duct system, I went up in her attic on the next visit and found an open seam an inch wide by 18" long x 3 sides. Guess where this was? Right next to where the pilot light was located. She'd been heating & cooling her attic....for how long?

Idiots & morons........

Got similar when oilBabe and I put out house in our trust.

They look authentic, and while not exactly a scam, these things play on ignorance. You can get the same for free or close to it if you visit the county recorder of deeds.

But yeah, some people think it's official.

I mentioned it to our attorney so she could warn other clients who may not know. She specializes in elder law, so her clients are prime targets.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I received the same/similar paper in the mail with my new house purchase in October. I read it carefully and threw it out.

isn't crazy how quick you start receiving all that spam after you move somewhere?
i wander how much is sponsored by USPS data and county data....

I can find names, dates of birth, addresses, home/cell phone # ...etc from the County Tax Collector.

What's stopping a dishonest person from targeting eldely people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back