change synthetic oil or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kawasaki FR730V engine on my lawn mower, which has an oil filter. Kawasaki says change the oil every 100 hours with no time limitation. They say that after the first 8 hours, you are to change the oil, which I did. I went with Quaker State Ultimate Durability for good protection and it was a good deal. Is it OK to let go till 100 hours even if it takes a couple of years? Even if Kawasaki didn't put a time limit on it, why do I see time limits on oil?

I have Craftsman with a 18.5 HP INTEK and I Use Amsoil ACD 10w30/30W and it takes me 3-4 years.. to accumulate 200 hrs. Haven't had a issue yet. Pulled valve cover off to adjust valves its completely clean inside like new.

So yes I would run your OCI a few years and don't worry about it.

Personally, I change all of my OPE annually no matter how many hours they've been used. That being said, it's not going to hurt anything if you wait until 100 hours even if it does take a couple years.

If you worked hard and carefully managed your budget, saved at every opportunity possible, brown-bagged lunch and clipped coupons you might be able to justify changing the oil once a year even if it meant giving up a pay-per-view event or one round of drinks at the local pub. Then you could sleep nights knowing that you've done right by your lawn mower's engine. BITOG members never shrink from doing the right thing when it comes to oil.

If the manufacturer specifies 100 hours go by that. Plenty of people put tons of hours on the FF and let it run til it dies some 5+ years usually. I don't see any reason to dump good oil.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you worked hard and carefully managed your budget, saved at every opportunity possible, brown-bagged lunch and clipped coupons you might be able to justify changing the oil once a year even if it meant giving up a pay-per-view event or one round of drinks at the local pub. Then you could sleep nights knowing that you've done right by your lawn mower's engine. BITOG members never shrink from doing the right thing when it comes to oil.

Spending the money isn't an issue to do it. I just hate throw good oil away. Why spend time to replace good oil, its a messy job anyways.

Just check your oil and mow.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If the manufacturer specifies 100 hours go by that. Plenty of people put tons of hours on the FF and let it run til it dies some 5+ years usually. I don't see any reason to dump good oil.

+1 Do what the manufacture recommends......you will be better off I think.

Before starting it today, for the first time this year, I checked my Ariens snowblower maintenance log--it's been 6 years and prolly 35 hours on the last fill of Synpower 5-30. I think I'll change it this spring---just because. Not many hours on this unit, we use the Toro paddle type blower for all of the snow under 1 foot deep

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Grab a pair of gloves and a rag and have at it
It's not a big deal
Or an oil suction device. My Honda doesn't have a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back