Not open for further replies.
I was looking forward to seeing big gas turbines
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was looking forward to seeing big gas turbines
wink.gif

Me too.

Quote:
The seven bearing crankshaft followed the rather niggardly practice of the early twenties, the main bearings being 2.000 inches diameter and the big ends 1.500 inches diameter.

Interesting.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Quote:
The seven bearing crankshaft followed the rather niggardly practice of the early twenties, the main bearings being 2.000 inches diameter and the big ends 1.500 inches diameter.

Interesting.

please explain your interest

Look up b 29 engine on ytube it wild how they built them ran them up and than pull them apart to make sure everything looked good . Wish there was video of German engines

Interesting to learn the Old School Way they tackle imbalance.

Today I'm sure it would involve computer modeling and Lazers.

Also interesting that they revert back to 'F' head valve arrangement in order to get larger valve size.

Originally Posted By: expat
Interesting to learn the Old School Way they tackle imbalance.

Today I'm sure it would involve computer modeling and Lazers.

Also interesting that they revert back to 'F' head valve arrangement in order to get larger valve size.

I think they liked it because it was quieter too.

I like the advance of power of this engine while staying with the ability to idle smooth at 400 RPM, and have great torque at 1000 RPM. The torque requirement was for smooth start with manual transmissions, not as important when they went to the GM Hydramatic. First in export cars in 1953, then in domestic cars in 1954.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
please explain your interest

I found it interesting Rolls-Royce has evidently evolved away from its “rather niggardly practice of the early twenties” with regard to main and rod bearing sizing.

The tickover and low speed torque mandates are also befitting a marque of its considerable engineering and marketing prowess.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Doesn't BMW make Rolls Royce engines now?

Still 6.75L? ...

Yes, but Bentley still use the RR V8 with 4.10" bores in some models.

Their 6 3/4 litre V8 is an amazing engine. Best luxury car engine ever that is not a V12.

The first time I ever drove a RR I got back into my car which at the time was an S class and for the first time ever getting into the S I felt like I was downgrading.

If I remember correctly on some of their I6's they used timing rods, or that could have been WO Bentley.

Last edited:
A fantastic engine allegedly pilfered from Cadillac. Intriguing history.

But also a very potent one, making a staggering 775 foot pounds of torque in one version!

One of the few times the Brits really scored!

Originally Posted By: bruno
Bentley cam drive used rods .

I think it was used often in old OHC engines. MG used shaft drive to the cams in pre war OHC engines.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A fantastic engine allegedly pilfered from Cadillac. Intriguing history.

But also a very potent one, making a staggering 775 foot pounds of torque in one version!

One of the few times the Brits really scored!

Do you have any reference to RR stealing a Cadillac design?

I think RR predated Cadillac with there first V8.

They DID steal the idea of Hydraulic valve lifters from GM.

I would have to say the Brits have scored MORE than a few Hits with engine designs.
more than I would want to list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back