Ford GT coming back, Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: zray
A brand new V-12 would"ve been something special.

I'm thinking it would make this car incredibly nose heavy.

How would a mid engined V12 make the car nose heavy?

I completely understand the reasoning behind the V6TT, but I hope to God they make the exhaust sound good to make up for it. I have heard 05-06 GTs with the FRPP/Borla rear exit headers with no mufflers, and they completely ruined me as far as exhaust.

Whatever engine Ford uses, I bet it still leaks oil from its rear main seal.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
smile.gif

Only the moment its out of warranty. Before that it just "weeps".
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm a huge fan of the V-6 also. Two less cylinders to feed makes for better MPGs.
Yeah, because people that buy Ford GT's are extremely concerned about fuel economy...good grief
+1

Its a mid-ie. A few years ago Ford bought out an updated Shelby Cobra concept car that had a V-10 or V-12 engine in It (probably just a mock-up). Wish they would've kept it going in development. But as already mentioned, they want to push the Eco boost as much as possible. They've bet the house on it, so I can't blame them.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
smile.gif

Ha ha. Ain't that the truth. I can drive my vintage Fords normal-like all year long without a drop coming out of the rear oil seal, but hit the red line a few times, and thar-she-blows, or at least seeps a bit.

Z.

Its a mid-dy..

Doh!
33.gif

"The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money" - A guy named Yunick. I believe he said that after looking over one of the Jim Hall Cam Am V8 monsters. Smokey, as he was known, knew a bit about NASCAR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money" - A guy named Yunick. I believe he said that after looking over one of the Jim Hall Cam Am V8 monsters. Smokey, as he was known, knew a bit about NASCAR.

I met him when I was just a kid in the late 1950's at my uncles shop. My uncle was building some engines for some of the NASCAR crowd at the time, when NASCAR was a south only racing thing. I went with my Uncle several times to the Ford dealer and picked up engines that were drop shipped there from Ford Dearborn, and marked experimental .

Z.

In my opinion, the problem with the new Ford GT will be the build quality of the car. In short, it will be the same standard as a $40,00 Mustang GT. Up to the current industry standard for a $40,000 car, but no where close to the super-car standard.

I work as a part-time race car mechanic on a race team that runs in the SCCA.

The rich owner of the team drives the race cars and periodically keeps some of his "toys" in the race shop. He has a dark blue Ford GT. Great to look at, but open and shut the doors and it feels like a Mustang. The build quality is not there... The paint and fit of the body panels scream Mustang, not Porsche. No where close to the quality of his Ferrari's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Love those cars! I saw a new one on the floor in 2006 from a dealer going out of business and it sold for about 45K--I should have bought it.

WHAT?!?!? I wish I had seen that.

Some dealers you wouldn't expect got GTs.

A small town dealer where I grew up had a new one in the showroom for a long time. White with blue stripes.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm a huge fan of the V-6 also. Two less cylinders to feed makes for better MPGs.
Yeah, because people that buy Ford GT's are extremely concerned about fuel economy...good grief

actually less fuel consumption means a smaller tank so more weight reduction. Makes a quicker and better handling car. Also means less tire wear as well.

Originally Posted By: kkspeed
In my opinion, the problem with the new Ford GT will be the build quality of the car. In short, it will be the same standard as a $40,00 Mustang GT. Up to the current industry standard for a $40,000 car, but no where close to the super-car standard.

The rich owner of the team drives the race cars and periodically keeps some of his "toys" in the race shop. He has a dark blue Ford GT. Great to look at, but open and shut the doors and it feels like a Mustang. The build quality is not there... The paint and fit of the body panels scream Mustang, not Porsche. No where close to the quality of his Ferrari's.

the 2005/2006 Ford GT retailed for $149,995 when new, Now one of them will set you back $250,000.

Any 2005 Ferrari's selling for that when new ? No there weren't. The 2005 Ferrari 612 sold for a cool $250,000 when new. And the current value is $121,000.

I'll take the Ford.

Z.

IMO having seen both in person the build quality of the Ford is not comparable to a Ferrari.

Not even close.

Examine the details and I can't imagine anyone would feel differently...

Ferrari is a better car, I'd take the F car thanks. Never drove the GT, sat in a number and they are just a Mustang with the motor out back.

the 2005/2006 Ford GT retailed for $149,995 when new, Now one of them will set you back $250,000.

Any 2005 Ferrari's selling for that when new ? No there weren't. The 2005 Ferrari 612 sold for a cool $250,000 when new. And the current value is $121,000.

I'll take the Ford.

Z.

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ferrari/enzo-ferrari/2004/279311

The 612 is a better car than the GT BTW.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I'll take the Ford.

Z.

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ferrari/enzo-ferrari/2004/279311

The 612 is a better car than the GT BTW.

kinda funny how the 2005 Ferrari 612 has lost 50% it's value, while at the same time the 2005 Ford GT has gained 65%.

However great the 612 is, The demand for the 612 is weak, and as it turns out, a lousy investment. I'll take the Ford.

Z

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I met him when I was just a kid in the late 1950's at my uncles shop. My uncle was building some engines for some of the NASCAR crowd at the time, when NASCAR was a south only racing thing. I went with my Uncle several times to the Ford dealer and picked up engines that were drop shipped there from Ford Dearborn, and marked experimental .

Z.
THE last of those was, as I recall, the Ovehead Cam 427 Ford which was not allowed to run a NASCAR RACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back