Has MaxLife ATF changed its labeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but... I went into WalMart to pick up some ATF, and I saw MaxLife looking like this:

8e5f6bc90472359142a2b5d1f0ac40b9.jpg

Now. Is this a DIFFERENT MaxLife.. or is this what MaxLife looks like now?

Very good synthetic ATF. I don't believe it has extra seal conditioners like the engine oil does. Maxlife synthetic ATF plus LubeGard Red = a great combination.

I suppose it would depend on the last time you saw the bottle/jug. Didn't used to say 'full synthetic' and they added Mercon LV to Dex/Merc on the label.

Been like this for awhile, but I still have an older empty ML gallon jug before the changes, I purchased somewhere between 1&1/2 an two years ago.

Fwiw, used in two Z1 spec'd Hondas and a Tacoma specing DexII/III

Since it's not certified for anything, they can change the labels weekly. Garbage. Leave it on the shelf.

FWIW, my recently traded '10 F150 had the 4spd, spec for Mercon LV. Dropped pan and changed filter and fluid at about 50k, replaced with Maxlife , traded her a month ago with over 160k on it, got Maxlife avery 30-40k, shifted smooth as brand new the whole time I owned it. These trucks have a trans temp gauge , and it never changed from the factory fill, same temps, same operation...use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Since it's not certified for anything, they can change the labels weekly. Garbage. Leave it on the shelf.

I'm not going to convince you, but for everyone else...

Since Valvoline Maxlife is targeted towards older vehicles that are haven't been under warranty for years, and the corresponding manufacturer's specs and certifications have been superseded or otherwise obsoleted, I wouldn't expect to find any current certifications.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Very good synthetic ATF. I don't believe it has extra seal conditioners like the engine oil does.

According to this:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

"It is formulated with synthetic base stocks, unique seal conditioners, long life friction modifiers, special anti wear additives, and shear stable viscosity modifiers, among other components to fight the four major causes of transmission breakdown: leaks, slippage, shudder and gear wear."

Thanks for spelling it out, but "unique" is completely different than "extra" (beyond the normal amount of seal conditioner mosts synthetic ATF's have).

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

While it may not be garbage I would be leery of using it in any application which calls for a specific type of fluid spec, regardless of Valvoline's claim that is can be used in almost ANY thing with a slushbox.
crackmeup2.gif

I was looking at the fluid as a "rouge" DexVI since it does have similar specs as a licensed DexVI but good for older vehicles that want to use newer spec fluid over obsolete fluids (DexII/III/IIIH/etc) but not wanting to buy a licensed fluid. Valvoline has a licensed DexVI if you have to use a ATF in a really new transmission with DexVI factory fill or a GM still under warranty.

I'm still leery on multi-spec fluids even in DexronIII/VI apps and I would never run a multi-spec fluid calling for WS/ATF+4, etc.

Last edited:
I have two different Maxlife bottles, both with the same on but one says for 75k / high miles, the other says nothing if the sort. Bought at different times I think (would have been last year some time, do not remember now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back