Kerosene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Industry experts estimate that the actual cost of producing most oil additives is from one-tenth to one-twentieth of the asking retail price.

A 32-ounce bottle of STP Engine Treatment (containing what they
call XEP2), which they claim they can prove "outperforms leading PTFE
engine treatments," cost us $17.97. Yet a can of K Mart Super Oil
Treatment, which listed the same zinc-derivative ingredient as that
listed for the XEP2, cost us a paltry $2.67.

Wholesale kerosene is $3 a gallon. MMO is $16 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No need for it in a good healthy engine.

Correct. No need to use it in a healthy engine.

Yet this is what MMO say on their website.

They must love people who copy and paste incorrect lists of ingredients and who try to persuade people that UOA's are a justification for using MMO.

Originally Posted By: MMO
Marvel should be added to your engine oil at every oil change.

Marvel fortifies the properties of motor oil, both traditional and synthetic. Marvel prevents oil breakdown caused by extreme temperatures. In addition, Marvel promotes easier cold weather starting with its extremely low pour point of (-65) Fahrenheit and ability to eliminate oil's tendency to congeal at low temperatures.

In newer engines, Marvel protects against scoring or seizing and creates a highly polished, wear resistant finish on engine surfaces.

Well I can say if the Marvel oil people like Demar paint or not, he's been real nice to me though, and knows a lot. I can say the Marvel people like me though. I talked some years back with a Rich Kelly i think about a project car and told him how i used the stuff. He mailed me a t-shirt, and some other things if i remember right.

In spite of the battle here I still think is is a great tool to have in the box. I'd be the last guy to tell anyone to use it all the time, but no one in this thread is saying that, I'm not gonna re-read thru all this [censored] again though.

About 5 years ago a fishing pal of mine calls me up and tells me his boat went to the bottom of his slip, salt water and that he had it pulled it out and drained the oil a week before he called me. I said [censored] did you do that for, you leave the stinking thing under the water and when you pull it be prepared to start working real fast. Anyway the damage was done, no point in beating him up any more. Then you have the EPA to deal with so she had to come out fast. She was frozen up pretty solid. He took care of the gas and all that which was good. We did a piston soak with Marvel Oil, i filled the engine to the top with Marvel Oil, and let her sit for about 2 days. I took a nice ¾ breaker bar and tried to turn the engine with that. After 2 days i was able to turn it. I dropped the Marvel Oil to full marker on the dipstick, tossed in new plugs, cap wires, rotor, oil filter and tried to start her. After some choice curse words and ether she started and smoked like all [censored]. After a 5 minute idled i dumped the Marvel, and filter, new oil and filter and a 20 minute idle. Dump that and the filter, fresh oil and filter and a 25 hour run. That took a few weeks. Then we changed it again. 5 years later she runs line a raped ape, no oil use either. I think the Marvel oil saved us from a rebuild, you guys will think otherwise and I'm not going down that rocky road with ya. I'm surprised i'm still here to be honest.

I think we had to replace the fuel pump too, i got to ask him next time we talk.-RD

Last edited:
Wow, what a fight! I still like to be able to get a good dose of Tryclesl Phosfate (that should have on MOM, according to Molakule and the mystery old analyses) source from time to time, to do a change from the lack of ZDDP SN oils, wthout the need to buy Jet engine Oils. That's what really matters and works on it and on Zmax. TCP is considered an ashless AW/Detergent additive in spite to have phosphorous on it.
TCP shouldn't clogg cat as ZDDP does, but it's way more expensive, so it doesn't get to PCMO.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I still like to be able to get a good dose of Tryclesl Phosfate (that should have on MMO, according to Molakule and the mystery old analyses) source from time to time, to do a change from the lack of ZDDP SN oils, wthout the need to buy Jet engine Oils. That's what really matters and works on it and on Zmax. TCP is considered an ashless AW/Detergent additive in spite to have phosphorous on it.
TCP shouldn't clogg cat as ZDDP does, but it's way more expensive, so it doesn't get to PCMO.

Is this a guess on your part or do you have a reference that states tricresyl phosphate (TCP) does not clog catalytic converters?

Slightly OT but this seems to be a massively OT thread ... But I noticed when crossing the border to BC a couple days ago how strong the diesel fuel / exhaust smells of kerosene there. They run a heavy load for their winter blend. I was behind two KW heavy haulers on a 7% grade running 2001 c15's and it smelled like I was at An airport. Needless to say I skipped refueling in BC with the low Btu stuff and pumped up in Seattle where our winter mix is pretty much #2. Plus I paid $2.20 gallon
smile.gif

Back to the topic, Kerosene at Walmart is a rip off. If you have a nearby seller of home heating oil, marine fuel or farm fuel distributor, they may have bulk dyeded Kerosene.

Turtle Wax give this advice about using MMO.

So I think I'll rely on the independent lab analysis.

You can stick with the list, the one with no known source that your friend has posted more times than he can remember.

Originally Posted By: MMO / Turtle Wax
Marvel should be added to your engine oil at every oil change.

Marvel fortifies the properties of motor oil, both traditional and synthetic. Marvel prevents oil breakdown caused by extreme temperatures. In addition, Marvel promotes easier cold weather starting with its extremely low pour point of (-65) Fahrenheit and ability to eliminate oil's tendency to congeal at low temperatures.

In newer engines, Marvel protects against scoring or seizing and creates a highly polished, wear resistant finish on engine surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back