1991 Buick Park Avenue oil and fluid specs and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SJohnson
If that has the 3.8 engine, it's the same one I have in my '96 LeSabre. I use mostly 5W30 or 10W30. Mine takes 4 qts. Do you know if the upper and/or lower intake manifold gaskets have been changed? Mine went bad around 140K. Started leaking coolant into the oil. It's a known problem on these engines. It's best to change both when it needs to be done.

I thought these early 3.8's didnt have that issue?

Well, I'm no expert or authority by any means, but mine did and according to these websites, it looks like there are quite a few.

http://www.autorepairinstructions.com/?p=37

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/144...-leak-cheap-fix

http://www.aa1car.com/library/diagnose_buick_3800_engine.htm

Last edited:

If that has the 3.8 engine, it's the same one I have in my '96 LeSabre. I use mostly 5W30 or 10W30. Mine takes 4 qts. Do you know if the upper and/or lower intake manifold gaskets have been changed? Mine went bad around 140K. Started leaking coolant into the oil. It's a known problem on these engines. It's best to change both when it needs to be done.

I thought these early 3.8's didnt have that issue?

Well, I'm no expert or authority by any means, but mine did and according to these websites, it looks like there are quite a few.

http://www.autorepairinstructions.com/?p=37

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/144...-leak-cheap-fix

http://www.aa1car.com/library/diagnose_buick_3800_engine.htm

I may have misunderstood what you meant by "early models" I see his is a 1991.

If that has the 3.8 engine, it's the same one I have in my '96 LeSabre. I use mostly 5W30 or 10W30. Mine takes 4 qts.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the GM part numbers for the oil pans on both your 1996 and my 2000; they are different. But according to the Amsoil online application guide, which uses the car manufacturer's specifications, your 1996 takes 4.5 quarts. I pour 5 quarts into mine with the standard size filter, and the oil level always stops exactly on the full line.

Amsoil

Use the PF52 or equivalent filter, like I suggested in your other thread. That way, you'll at least be able to see the end of the filter when you go to remove it at the next change. It's hiding under the alternator, and the PF47 is almost invisible when installed. it will also rustproof your passenger side driveshaft every time you remove it, there's just no way of getting around the mess.

The brighter colored filter you can use the better, like a Puro classic or P1 or even an orange can PH3980. A black Bosch premium, while a good filter, will be so hidden you may not be able to find it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If that has the 3.8 engine, it's the same one I have in my '96 LeSabre. I use mostly 5W30 or 10W30. Mine takes 4 qts.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the GM part numbers for the oil pans on both your 1996 and my 2000; they are different. But according to the Amsoil online application guide, which uses the car manufacturer's specifications, your 1996 takes 4.5 quarts. I pour 5 quarts into mine with the standard size filter, and the oil level always stops exactly on the full line.

Amsoil

You are right about the manual saying the specs calls for 4.5 qts with filter chane. I use a standard filter (Fram 3387A), but when ever I do my oil & filter change it always takes 4 qts and its at the full mark. Weird huh.

You are right about the manual saying the specs calls for 4.5 qts with filter chane. I use a standard filter (Fram 3387A), but when ever I do my oil & filter change it always takes 4 qts and its at the full mark. Weird huh.

Yes that's weird, but as long as the oil is on the full mark, that's the important thing.

I have experience with these cars.. Maxlife ATF works great.

Stay with a 10W30 and use either Maxlife red bottle or PYB... I do like PYB HM if you have minor leaks.

The Series I 3800 wasn't known to have the intake issues the Series II did. Great engines nonetheless. One issue to watch for on the Series I is this: There is a magnet on the camshaft sprocket used to give a reading for the camshaft position sensor. The magnet can fall off over time and mileage. If the car has a DTC for camshaft position sensor correlation, there is a good chance the magnet has fallen off. Also, the engine will more than likely be running quite rough and will be running very rich. You have to remove the timing cover to replace, and said magnet may not be a stocked item. I believe we had to order the last one we installed. I never personally encountered this issue on the ones I've owned, but I've seen it on customer's cars. If no such code is present, drive on happily.
smile.gif
Oh, and QSGB/Defy 5W-30 or 10W-30.

The car is coming from out of state. If we are able to get it it will arrive around the 8th. If we can not get it this month it will be a couple of months before we will be able to obtain it. Ill try and take some pics if and when we get it. The Autozone Castrol deal fell through, as well as Pep Boys with the Max Life, both orders were cancelled. So now I am leaning toward Defy 10w30 with a AC Delco filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The car is coming from out of state. If we are able to get it it will arrive around the 8th. If we can not get it this month it will be a couple of months before we will be able to obtain it. Ill try and take some pics if and when we get it. The Autozone Castrol deal fell through, as well as Pep Boys with the Max Life, both orders were cancelled. So now I am leaning toward Defy 10w30 with a AC Delco filter.
That sounds pretty good. I would maybe try Pennzoil Hm.

So now I am leaning toward Defy 10w30 with a AC Delco filter.

Try to get the real ACDelco filter if you can - the one without the E on the end. The last time I got one, Autozone had them.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So now I am leaning toward Defy 10w30 with a AC Delco filter.

Try to get the real ACDelco filter if you can - the one without the E on the end. The last time I got one, Autozone had them.

I ended up getting Quaker State Defy 10w30 and a Fram Tough Guard. I like that the Defy is "higher" mileage and not a dedicated high mileage oil. Its also synthetic blend, and is $16 every day at WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back