Hmmm...made fun of for buying oil at AZ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that happened...
crazy.gif

Figured as I needed to return something to AZ, I would peek to see if there was any deals...(had heard about the 4.00 oils). Nosed through the clearance thread night before, figured I would check. Bingo! 10 qts of Kendall (5w30) being bought for a 1.00 each (can't go wrong with th 60/40 blend with Ti)

So, I get up there to buy, and a few guys behind the counter snicker. "Ah, that [censored] dollar oil, figured some **** would buy it....cause it's on sale. There is a reason on one buys that oil...." Hmmm....really? I just smiled...you can't fix stupid...
smirk.gif
They made a few more comments...but I just stopped paying attention to them...

On the way out the manager came up to me to ignore the "DA's" and that Kendall oils are fine stuff....comes from the same company that makes Ford oils...and told me to enjoy...and thanked him and headed home....

Made me wonder if he chewed em' out...ah, whatever. 20 total quarts the beater (Cobalt) gets to enjoy after I'm finished with the current fill of napa syn.....

Ignorance is bliss..as they say. Id use it. The only fool is the one not taking advantage of the sale. Enjoy!

I would contact corporate about it anyways. Being rude to customers is not okay. Just let them know the manager seemed well intentioned. If it was my company I'd want to know about this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I would contact corporate about it anyways. Being rude to customers is not okay.

Absolutely. This is 1000% unacceptable and someone needs time off or worse for this behavior.

I've never been made fun of for the hundreds of quarts of oil I've bought on clearance, sometimes they get a chuckle but it's about the deal I get, not the fact that I'm a weirdo for buying it.

For example: May of 2013 O'Reilly's was clearancing out NextGen MaxLife for $1.99 per quart. 3 of them made it $5.97 and I had a ton of $5 off coupons of purchases of $5 or more, making it $0.97 for 3 quarts of oil plus tax.
Chevron Supreme HM and Mobil Super was $2.99 each. 2 quarts per transaction was $5.98 and $5 off was $0.98 for 2 quarts. This run totalled 125 quarts

Another run was December of 2013 Auto Zone had 5 quart jugs of NextGen for $5 each and $1 per quart of Pennzoil Ultra. This run totalled 31 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra and 60 quarts of NextGen

This last run was 57 quarts of Castrol GTX SynBlend at $1.00 per quart

whatever, let it go.
That's why they have a job at autozone, versus any other job in autotech that has a career path.

If you didn't ask for advice, let unsolicited advice just roll off your back.

When I bought PU at the $3 sale last year, the guy said "hey that's a good price" so i got the opposite response.

Last edited:
The Firestone stores down here where I live use the Kendall as their oil when they do changes. It is good oil.
Good score and use it. Those guys were knuckleheads.

lol

yep thats why I tend to avoid autoparts stores these days. Full of a bunch of know-it-alls that don't know their own a$z from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
I had the opposite reaction when I bought the very last jug of $5 Edge 0W40. The cashier rang it up and said holy [censored]!! This is only $5?? No wonder that other customer bought every other one!! Then we started talking cars,etc.

To the op,I would've laughed right back at them,knowing how much money I just saved :^)

Personally I'd rather have the Kendall oil than the Napa synthetic. Kendall is a high quality oil...and you got it for a buck?? Great deal, I wish I could find deals like that.

They may have been trying to get you to put it back so they could get their hands on it
wink.gif

I've bought around 75 total quarts from three different stores, and they've all been good people. One guy even checked the storeroom for me because he thought he had another case on hand.

The AZ's around here don't carry Kendall, but I'd buy it if they did (especially for $1 a quart)!

Yeah, not bothered about it. Just thought it was strange....

Might still peek around for more....

Originally Posted By: raytseng
whatever, let it go.
That's why they have a job at autozone, versus any other job in autotech that has a career path.

When I bought PU at the $3 sale last year, the guy said "hey that's a good price" so i got the opposite response.

I had the day manager at autozone say the same thing to me last year about PU.

Back to topic. That employee should have remedial action to remedy his blunder. Like he keep his regular duties and he should be the local autozone doorman for an month when not actively helping and engaging his customers.

Then he should study what a API certification means and write an synopsis and a comparison on each PCMO on the shelf at autozone to find out all the products are nearly the same.

Then again the concept of lubrication is likely to much for him to grasp like the member on here that believes injector noise means his engine is not properly lubricated.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Personally I'd rather have the Kendall oil than the Napa synthetic. Kendall is a high quality oil...and you got it for a buck?? Great deal, I wish I could find deals like that.

Valvoline must not be a high quality product then.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: doublebase

Valvoline must not be a high quality product then.

I'm not a fan, if Valvoline is going to charge the same prices as other leading brands...at least they should put a moly or boron additive in it.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
They may have been trying to get you to put it back so they could get their hands on it
wink.gif

^This

That's what I was thinking too. Kendall oil is bullets as far as I'm concerned. You did good!

This is the first I've heard that Kendall wasn't good.
And at a buck a quart I'd have bought everything I could.
Our co-op must have gotten some kind of deal because they've got a ton of straight 30 and 40 grade Kendall oil with titanium.
But it's not on sale got no dollar.
I was considering trying a straight grade in my charger next summer,just to see how it runs and if anything changes in respect to oil temps,mds and so on.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: raytseng
whatever, let it go.

I had the day manager at autozone say the same thing to me last year about PU.

Back to topic. That employee should have remedial action to remedy his blunder. Like he keep his regular duties and he should be the local autozone doorman for an month when not actively helping and engaging his customers.

Then he should study what a API certification means and write an synopsis and a comparison on each PCMO on the shelf at autozone to find out all the products are nearly the same.

Then again the concept of lubrication is likely to much for him to grasp like the member on here that believes injector noise means his engine is not properly lubricated.

That would be fantastic IF they'd actually do it.

You would think that even the lowest of the low employees at an auto parts store would be required to have a basic grasp of motor oil properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back