Ford Excursion 6.8L v10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here know anything about the Ford Excursion with the 6.8L v10?
Any other known problems exept that it can shoot out sparkplugs?

I am thinking of buying one as a backupvehicle when my others are down and to tow stuff with it.
Since all my other jeeps and trucks are lifted so a trailer behind them wont work, exept my C20 but that one is rated so low in towing that its not even worth to hook up a trailer to it.

I want a v10 because i seem to have a thing going on when buying other vehicles and it is that i never seem to go down in enginesize.
I started with a volvo 740 with a 4cyl and here i am with 2 I6 jeeps and 3 v8:s (1 jeep and 2 chevys) so a v10 is the next step.

Im not expecting any great mpg, i am only going to use it a few time a year so that dosent matter.

How about the diesel Excursion?

It's 7.3L vs 6.8L, no spark plugs, and better towing and gas mileage capability.

My folks' V-10 powered 30 foot motor home gets about 7 1/2 mpg, towing a Town and Country as well... so it can't get much worse than that.

Problem is, you would have gotten a better deal on one 6 months ago, when gas was a lot more expensive than it is now.

Depends on the year. 3v motors don't have plug problems, per se. Great motor if you want to run petrol.

My '12 averages 8.6 mpg(27.2L/100k if you're in Sweden)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

It's 7.3L vs 6.8L, no spark plugs, and better towing and gas mileage capability.

The ones with diesel have not found their way over here, those that did are registerd as a heavy truck and you need a different license to legally drive them on the road.
I dont have that license.
Or pay the stupidly high yearly taxes on it if you choose to have it registered as a normal car.
Last time i checked it was something like 15000sek ($1900) a year.
The 6.8L is around 6000sek ($780) a year

Originally Posted By: LotI
Depends on the year. 3v motors don't have plug problems, per se. Great motor if you want to run petrol.

Thats not so bad, alittle worse then my ZJ are i get 11.2 (21L/100k) with that.
What year did they change to a 3v engine in them?
or was that after they stopped building the excursion in 05?

Is there even such an animal.
I've never seen,nor heard of a diesel excursion,and was a 7.3 even available in one. The 6.x litre might have been available but again I've never seen nor heard of them.

OP
I don't know that spark plug ejection was an issue with the v-10. It was an issue with the 99-01 PI Windsor engines. And was solved in 01 with the introduction of the Romeo supplied engines.
If it is indeed an issue the fix is pretty easy and if I had one of those mod motors that were affected again I would re-thread every plug as preventative maintenance just to eliminate the potential problem,especially if planning on adding any type of performance modifications.
I liked the v-10. I rented a u-haul with one about a decade or so ago. And luckily it was speed governed or I would have easily maintained triple digit speeds with a full load.
In Fact if I could find a v-10 dodge or ford 4x4 truck I'd buy it,if of course it was in decent shape.
The 2V line of mod motors have proven very durable and I expect that the v-10 variant would be just as reliable however I do suggest Google and see if there have been any known consistent failures,and ask the owner prior to purchase about any potential issues.
Now legs get down to the real meat and potatoes here,What oil to run.
Any 5w-20 will work wonderfully. It'll have coolers for fluids so expect an oil cooler,which certainly helps my comfort level using a 20 grade in a towing application.
FX4 has proven that even hard worked mod motors are extended drain capable so pm him if you do decide to buy one. He'll add considerable insight as far as using 20 grades for extended drains.
Don't forget after purchase pics v

Originally Posted By: LotI

And not all 2V engines are a problem either.
It was only the Windsor engines and heads.
When they moved engines to Romeo the issue was resolved. That happened in 2000 but it was the 01 model year that is the hard cut off.
So any 2V mod motor built before the 01 model year can spit them out.
It was the performance improved head.
Did the v-10 even get a performance improved head. If there was no revision between the 98 to 99 model years then is there even a potential problem.
I thought it only affected the 4.6/5.4 engines.

If you only need a vehicle a few times a year, rent or borrow one.

Insuring, maintaining, and absorbing the depreciation on a giant truck that's hardly ever used is wasteful.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I've never seen,nor heard of a diesel excursion,and was a 7.3 even available in one. The 6.x litre might have been available but again I've never seen nor heard of them.

OP
I don't know that spark plug ejection was an issue with the v-10. It was an issue with the 99-01 PI Windsor engines. And was solved in 01 with the introduction of the Romeo supplied engines.
If it is indeed an issue the fix is pretty easy and if I had one of those mod motors that were affected again I would re-thread every plug as preventative maintenance just to eliminate the potential problem,especially if planning on adding any type of performance modifications.
I liked the v-10. I rented a u-haul with one about a decade or so ago. And luckily it was speed governed or I would have easily maintained triple digit speeds with a full load.
In Fact if I could find a v-10 dodge or ford 4x4 truck I'd buy it,if of course it was in decent shape.
The 2V line of mod motors have proven very durable and I expect that the v-10 variant would be just as reliable however I do suggest Google and see if there have been any known consistent failures,and ask the owner prior to purchase about any potential issues.
Now legs get down to the real meat and potatoes here,What oil to run.
Any 5w-20 will work wonderfully. It'll have coolers for fluids so expect an oil cooler,which certainly helps my comfort level using a 20 grade in a towing application.
FX4 has proven that even hard worked mod motors are extended drain capable so pm him if you do decide to buy one. He'll add considerable insight as far as using 20 grades for extended drains.
Don't forget after purchase pics v

First few years of excursion can come with the 7.3 - that was pretty popular for families where I used to go camping. 7.3 excursion pulling a travel trailer.

I've always wanted an excursion.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If you only need a vehicle a few times a year, rent or borrow one.

Insuring, maintaining, and absorbing the depreciation on a giant truck that's hardly ever used is wasteful.

While I want to agree, I have no idea if one can rent a vehicle like this in Sweden.

Besides, if he was stateside, we'd call it the American way.

We cant rent anything like an excursion over here, unless its been converted to a limo and thats no use at all.
I will post pics of it IF i buy one

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

There was, both 7.3 and 6.0. The Excursion was discontinued when the 6.4 came out. Clean, low mile 7.3s are big money for a roughly 14 year old SUV.

Diesel ones are almost as common as gas down here...it probably varies by market.

Gas Excursions are great too if that's what you need. It's just an F-250 Super Duty with full roof and cargo area/3rd seat instead of a bed.

Last edited:
I owned an '01 Excursion with the 7.3, my wife still has a sore spot whenever it comes up in conversation as we traded it in when our kids grew up, she loved that truck.
I know of a few people with the v-10 in trucks and have never heard of any engine concerns, other than its thirsty.

The Excursion last model year was '05, so it had both the 7.3 & 6.0 diesel option. The 6.0 lived until the shortened '07 model year in the Super Duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back