NAG 1 vs ATF +4

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these two certifications compare? I ask because NAG 1 transmissions in a Chrysler product call for ATF+4 meanwhile the same trans in a Mercedes calls for a fluid meeting the NAG 1 spec. However, I have yet to find a fluid which claims to meet both, other than possibly LubeGard ATF.

Originally Posted By: Blazered
If you have a 2004 1500 SLT with the 5.7L Hemi, then you have a 545RE 5-speed transmission, not the NAG1 (W5A580) 5-speed. The 545RE is unrelated to the NAG1 and uses ATF+4. You can download a owner's manual here:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

I'm well aware of that. This question isn't in regards to my Ram, it's about the certifications themselves.

Mercedes has some TSB floating around that ATF+4 is acceptable in transmissions that call for NAG-1 and some other trannies, too.

The reason you don't see ATF+4 more widely advertised is because of Chrysler's silly, psychotic licensing program. They go overboard by not only dictating the ingredients, but also the suppliers (A group III base from one of three suppliers, plus a special Lubrizol add pack). Most other ATF specs are more reasonable.

Maxlife should be fine in your Ram, as would any ATF+4. I like Smitty's ATF+4. It meets the ATF+4 standards but doesn't go through Chrysler's nonsense.

I'm partial to FUCHS' Titan 4134 in NAG 1/722.6/722.9 type gearboxes as it manifests excellent cold+hot shifting characteristics and solid durability/longevity.

No affiliation but we beat on our torquey AMGs mercilessly.
smile.gif

www.generaloils.net/PI_TITANATF-4134_e.pdf

edit: M-B specification 236.14 is the most recent and stringent "+4" certification.

I've done 30k mile drain and fills on my Nitro with Valvoline ATF+4, with no issues. It's has just over 100K miles, with some heavy towing (for the platform). I would not use a multipurpose fluid like Maxlife in this application.

As an owner of a real AMG part number in an early "high torque" application SRT8 I can assure anyone who is worried that ATF +4 works great in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back