Cut Open: Honda A01 12,822mi, 2 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 53,800mi on vehicle.

Two oil change intervals on this filter, first run was 6,046mi (-65mi past 0% on the OLM) using M1 5W20. Second interval was 6,776mi (-777mi past 0% on the OLM) using M1 0W20 AFE. Total time is 537 days, from July 2014 until a couple days ago.

Valve feels pliable, pleats look straight and even. Can feels of good thickness. This is my first filter dissection (HF pipe cutter), so I don't have anything to physically compare to, but I'm happy with it! I'll be sending the oil in for analysis.

Thanks for looking!

9asdj7.jpg

2sb5o60.jpg

2cnbiaq.jpg

2e3rfq0.jpg

Nice job on the pics. Looks like that filter could go 20k in that engine. M1 is keeping it clean.

Thanks for the pictures!

I have a bunch of these I use on my civic and my mother's odyssey, glad to see that they are well built and work right.

Thanks for the pictures

Where did you find A01? Only A02 is available for the last few years.

I use S2000 oil filter, although it is slightly expensive than the others, it is made by Filtech and way better than A02.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thanks for the pictures

I use S2000 oil filter, although it is slightly expensive than the others, it is made by Filtech and way better than A02.

I guess it depends on the dealer. My Honda dealer only carries the A01

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
Thanks for the pictures

I guess it depends on the dealer. My Honda dealer only carries the A01

I thought A01 was discontinued.

If i can find any place that carries A01 in US next month, i will stock it up! It supposedly has the same quality and cheaper than S2K filter.

Thanks for the pictures

I don't know if your Honda has the room for a larger oil filter, but on my S2000 I use the Baldwin B202 oil filter. It's over twice as large as the stock S2000 oil filter.
Here are some pic's of a Baldwin B7042(same size as the B202, stock Honda S2000 filter and a Wix/Napa filter. Take a look to see how much less filter medium there is in the Wix/Napa compared to the Honda S2000 filter.

http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1

ROD

Yes, it has higher bypass valve setting.

Since s2000 oil filter has larger diameter than the regular A01/A02 filters, it won't fit to the R18 engine. So unfortunately you don't have any other good quality OEM choice.

Oh, good to know, I hadn't even looked into it for the Civic. I have a K24 powered Element, and I'm pretty sure the S2k filter will fit on it. I'll have to pay a little more attention next time I change the filter to see if the longer filter rrounds will fit and not stick out too far.

If like my son's '09 Civic, then the larger stock S2000 or even larger Baldwin B202 filter will not fit. To large of an OD. My son's '09 Civic needs a 3" OD filter or less. If you can run a longer filter(5 1/8") then the Baldwin B199 is what I'd use. 8 lbs. bypass and built like a tank.
The bypass is higher on the S2000(over 20 lbs.) but with more filter medium in the larger filter you can flow more oil with less PSID even when the larger filter filters down to a smaller micron. Just don't go overboard and get a filter that is made to filter down to 3 to 10 micron, those are not full flow filters and can starve the engine for oil.

ROD

Looks like it did its Job.. I did a cut open on a A01 that had i think 4K miles or 5K i cant remember and when I cut it open it was like NEW... I posted pics.. I mean it was clean.

I have another A01 on right now and 2K miles more and its time for a oil change and Im thinkiing of leaving ther A01 on.. but oil filters are so cheap and it dont hurt to change them..... I end up always changing the filter ...especially when AAP has a free oil filter special and its a decent oil filter.

but I really like A01s or the HAMP Filters for HONDAS..

Sorta sucks they went the HONEYWELL / RANK / FRAM TG for the A02.. i dunno why they would do that when the A01 was doing such a great job...

The only thing I can think of is $$$$

The A02s probably cost less $ to have made so Honda saves $ and makes more $ when they sell them.

However IM NOT SAYING THE A02 is in no way a bad filter.

Comparison on the filters. Bought a couple for R1. Looks like enought media to be a lifetime filter. link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back