Oil Leak Stopped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 with 70,000 miles that had developed a slight oil leak from the rear main seal. It would drip 5 to 10 drops every day. I had always used full synthetic 5W30. I had read here, and on other sites, that changing to a "high mileage" oil would help.....but I really never believed the claims. Saturday, I changed the oil to Valvoline Max Life 10W30. I then drove 20 miles and put the truck in the garage. It has not leaked a drop since. Not one drop! This is not a plug for Valvoline. Other oils might do the same thing. But, if you have a leaking rear main seal, try a "high mileage" oil, you might be surprised........like I was.

When i had a jeep I-6 ,4.0L, i had a weeping 2 piece rear main. i put the vehicle on a steady diet of maxlife sm and with in 2 oil changes it had stopped and stayed stopped for 3 years.

Probably wasn't the MaxLife, as in it wasn't a seal conditioner that softened and restored pliability to your rear main seal, not in 20 miles.
May be the old oil was overfilled, and the new is either correctly filled or under by a little.

i dont doubt it stopped the leak but it would take more than 20 miles to start working
when i used synthetic in my 1999 plymouth breeze it made all my leaks worse
i will never put put synthetic in an older car again

I am a big fan of MaxLife but it wont work after 20 miles
Are you sure your old filter wasnt leaking or maybe the drain plug?
Anyway,glad it stopped

Leaks can sometimes be strange. My wife's '93 Jeep 4.0 using T6 Rotella will drip about 10 drops overnight, but just started leaking again after having stopped dripping for a couple months-no changes/events=so who knows

The previous oil was not over filled. In fact,it was down about 1/2 pint because I had under filled it, on purpose, to try to stop the dripping. I had examined the engine thoroughly to find the source of the leak (valve covers, oil pressure sensor, filter, plug). The only place where the oil was dripping was off the flywheel. Believe me, I am totally surprised by the immediate results. I even placed a clean piece of paper under the drip, and it is still clean,36 hours later. Is it going to stay stopped? I don't know, but if it does not, I will report back. In the meantime, if you have a drip, this is certainly worth a try.

5 to 10 drops every day is not a very bad leak, minor by any means so the seal conditioners did there job its when people see a qt on the ground is when, yea not going to work here.

MaxLife is the best at stopping leaks and usage that I have seen. I'm no big fan of Valvoline, but they are changing my mind. That said, if you don't have a leak, I like M1, SOPUS and Conoco-Phillips products.

Originally Posted By: daman
5 to 10 drops every day is not a very bad leak, minor by any means so the seal conditioners did there job its when people see a qt on the ground is when, yea not going to work here.

^This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back