Recommend a wax for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do frequent the same wash about every other week. I do know their detergents are hard on wax. What is the difference between paste and liquid besides liquid easier to apply?

I used a meguires cleaner wax years ago, comments on cleaner waxes. That ice wax has my attention.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
yeah, I read the title.
http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-an...uid/555342_0_0/

I do that a lot myself, that's why I caught it.
smile.gif
I'd love to try Zaino. Back when I began an interest in detailing, it's all I kept hearing as being recommended, but it was not available OTC. Over the years, it's still not OTC and other products have matched it or surpassed it in other ways... at least that's what others say. What do I know... I have never tried it yet.

Originally Posted By: razel
yeah, I read the title.
http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-an...uid/555342_0_0/

I do that a lot myself, that's why I caught it.
smile.gif
I'd love to try Zaino. Back when I began an interest in detailing, it's all I kept hearing as being recommended, but it was not available OTC. Over the years, it's still not OTC and other products have matched it or surpassed it in other ways... at least that's what others say. What do I know... I have never tried it yet.

you will LOVE It
thumbsup2.gif

If you have a Oreillys auto near you go to the counter and ask for the Meguiars catalog, yes they have one. At least mine does. You can look for products and the will look it up to see if the have it in the warehouse. I do this ALL the time. In fact I scored a can of #16 Paste Wax that is no longer made.
25.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
NuFinish will protect for a year so twice a year will be well protected. Nothing lasts or protects as long as NuFinish. Duragloss comes close.

Try Zaino.

I have and it doesn't even come close to NuFinish durability.

NuFinish will protect for a year so twice a year will be well protected. Nothing lasts or protects as long as NuFinish. Duragloss comes close.

Try Zaino.

Interesting, how did you prep the paint? How many coats?

Last edited:

Try Zaino.

Interesting, how did you prep the paint? How many coats?

I was a pro detailer for 15 years and used every single wax/sealant on the market. Zaino always had great depth and shine but not great durability. Duragloss is one that also has great durability. Not many products last a full year but Nufinish is one. As far as its shine, it was not the best but not bad either.

Nufinish lasted over a year for me so for you twice a year is great. I'm using(testing) Meguairs NXTGen and see it lasts 3-4 months. Will try Meguairs Ultimate to see how long that last but will see myself go back to NuFinish and wax every other month.

I'm a fan of Griots products. I use their paint sealant and am very impressed both at the ease of application and at how long it lasts. Check them out at griots.com. AAP also sells them.

Originally Posted By: anndel
I'm using(testing) Meguairs NXTGen and see it lasts 3-4 months.

Is that NXT 2.0? I'm currently getting about 2 months before I notice that I should rewax. Otherwise, it looks great and is very easy to apply and remove. I also have their Ultimate Wax waiting next, but since I use less an 1oz of NXT per application, it's been in line almost 2 years.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: stygz
It is for a daily driver. Vehicle is garaged usually when not at work. I am willing to wax twice a year. I do have some micro scratched that can be seen under the right light. I currently have turtle wax liquid form in the garage. I usually go through the drive through car wash. Want something easily had at Walmart or autozone type store.

Frankly with the criteria you have put forth any garbage you can find on sale will satisfy you. It's obvious you will not put forth the effort required to maintain a good finish. I agree with NUFinish. It really is a decent product and will give you what you desire.

With your cleaning method, it doesn't matter much. Duragloss at NAPA is easy to get and use. Meg's has a new sealant coming out that is to last a year which may be your best bet.

Waxing twice a year? At least it's garaged. I almost would recommend NuFinish other than if the car has any black plastic the NuFinish will positively chalk that plastic up so ugly.

My recommendation first would be to clay the car. Then buy a cheap buffer and use Meguiars Ultimate Wax paste.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-compact-palm-polisher-90219.html

The Ultimate Wax Paste will help correct very minor swirling and fill in a lot. Trust me if you plan to wax only twice a year because you're trying to avoid a lot of work, get a machine.

Even the cheapy buffer above and a simple microfiber bonnet will take a 2 hour wax job and cut it to 30 minutes and you'll get far better results and your arm won't be hurting by the end.

Basically my advice, do it right once and keep on top of it and all subsequent waxings will become much easier.

My recommendation is the meguiars ultimate paste wax. Good durability, easy to use, easy to find and looks good. It is my favorite.

Other choices-

NuFinish. Lots of people have mentioned this already. Supposedly the paste will last longer than the liquid (from consumer reports, I think). I have not had much luck with this wax though. Looks okay, but don't get great durability. Maybe depends upon climate.

Turtle wax super hard shell. Not sure if they still make it (?). Looks fine with very good durability. Similar durability to the ultimate wax in my experience, although less easy to apply. If you apply a little too much it is very hard to remove.

I am just now reading about the megs 365. This looks promising. If it lives up to the hype, I would go with that. I am actually going to get some for myself. Thanks to the poster for mentioning it!

Originally Posted By: stygz
I do frequent the same wash about every other week. I do know their detergents are hard on wax. What is the difference between paste and liquid besides liquid easier to apply?

The drive-through washes can leave not only detergents but also scratches. Dirt from other cars can get lodged in the brushes or cloths they use.

I go to the $1.50-2.00 DIY wash, rinse the car (no soap unless I'm going to paste wax afterward), then dry with Wax-As-U-Dry Turtle Wax or Meguiar's. That keeps the paint reasonably protected. When I spot bird [censored], I wipe it off with Quick Detailer spray and a soft cloth. Then a couple of times a year, when the weather allows, I do a full claying-glazing-waxing. You may not want to get into that, so I suggest the DIY car wash, and you'll save dough, too.

Is that NXT 2.0? I'm currently getting about 2 months before I notice that I should rewax. Otherwise, it looks great and is very easy to apply and remove. I also have their Ultimate Wax waiting next, but since I use less an 1oz of NXT per application, it's been in line almost 2 years.
smile.gif

Yes it is NXT 2.0. Our car isn't garaged and is out in the open at work. It's about 2.5 months now and though it's still beading rain water, the beads a flattening out plus when I run my fingers across the hood or door, I feel resistance so almost time to re-apply but going to try Meguiar's Ultimate. Before NXT 2.0, I used NuFinish but the thing I hate about NuFinish is the white residue in crevices and on black textured trim it leaves behind which I have to followup with a toothbrush. The Tacoma and 93 Yota Pickup are garaged but out 8 hrs per day at work so the wax lasts 6 months or more but I'll rewax both every 3 months.

FYI: Meguiar's was recently bought out by 3M.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Yes it is NXT 2.0. Our car isn't garaged and is out in the open at work. It's about 2.5 months now and though it's still beading rain water, the beads a flattening out plus when I run my fingers across the hood or door, I feel resistance so almost time to re-apply but going to try Meguiar's Ultimate. Before NXT 2.0, I used NuFinish but the thing I hate about NuFinish is the white residue in crevices and on black textured trim it leaves behind which I have to followup with a toothbrush. The Tacoma and 93 Yota Pickup are garaged but out 8 hrs per day at work so the wax lasts 6 months or more but I'll rewax both every 3 months.

FYI: Meguiar's was recently bought out by 3M.

Resistance on the surface is not an indicator of protection. You will need to evaluate the sheeting and beading properties (while spraying a washed surface) in order to get a better idea.

The slickness is merely from oils - and these wear off quite quickly. Also, some of the "grittiness" may be from contaminants on the surface. It is highly advised that you prep the surface using clay or clay alternative (i.e. nanoskin) before applying any sealant or wax.

I can't quit stockpiling waxes. I have :

Gold class paste that is only used on helmets and other clean items
GC liquid....about half a bottle. These two were on special at AAP some time ago.

I have nxt paste and liquid that was had for cheap....remember the target after new year's half off, and I gave half a bottle away.

A minuscule amount of Mother's from way back in the day.

Some green bottle of 100% carnauba blend turtle wax hard shell that was given to me.

Also, just got some tw Ice paste at WM back before summer.

I also have a bottle of unfinished, but have demoted it to chrome only.

I had some 3M glaze that was given to me by a body man 15 some odd years ago, but when I applied it to a newish Cobalt in the cold, it left a haze. I freaked and tossed it since I thought I ruined the finish. But when daylight came to, it looked great and I regretted losing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back