RPM vs motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my s10 (4.3 L V6) my RPM is between 2000 & 2500 at 65-75mph. In the beater 95 prizm (1.6L 4cyl), it over 3000 RPM at 75. At what point (RPM) does an engine start beating on oil?

I too doubt it matters. Just use a quality synthetic oil and filter and change it on a regular interval listed by OEM. If all else is not enough to satisfy than go to the point where you feel like it is "nuked" and extract a few ounces and mail it in to blackstone for oil usage/data. Good luck

When you're lugging the engine is beating on its rod bearings.

At speeds you mention, things are very happy.

boat engines run at 3500 all the time... 26 ft uhauls run 3k all day long fully loaded. dont think it matters since that oil is getting good n hot

I've taken engines I've built up to 8k, my friends have taken some of theirs up to 10k+ at the track. I think the most important part is just having enough oil.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
When you're lugging the engine is beating on its rod bearings.

At speeds you mention, things are very happy.

This is true. A few years back my friend had to rebuild a customer's 1.8l Honda motor with less than a few hundred miles on it. Plenty of oil, but two spun rod bearings from trying to accelerate too hard in too high of a gear.

My motorcycle run up to 13,000 rpm. Cruises at 6-8,000. When I am hitting it pretty hard it uses lighter oils much faster. I always use synthetic since I often do start cranking it up and I know during hotter summer weather the heavier grades tend to hold up better. No evidence just personal opinion but it seems like if I am running over 9,000 rpm's oil usage goes way up. I am not certain but am guessing it is the high rpm's and beating of the oil as you say.

The main thing is correct oil level and if you're driving a vehicle excessively hard, stepping up to a higher quality oil to cover yourself against oil related failures.

Higher rpm actually equals a thicker oil film on parts and more oil in the bearings,so rpm itself isn't a bad thing.
If high rpm is a concern because of elevated oil temps go a grade thicker.

Let me put this another way. If I drove my S10 from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back average 75 MPH (2500 rpm), and did the same in the beater (3200 rpm), would the oil degrade at the same rate?

There is more to it than just distance, you cannot compare two different vehicles that way. Vehicle weight (load), engine temps, ambient temps, engine tune, type for fuel metering, condition of engine etc all play a role.

Let's put it this way. If you drove your S-10 on the same trip only used a lower gear and did (for example) 3200 rpm at 75mph, then I would say the oil would degrade faster (per mile) at the higher rpm, but not because of the higher rpm, but instead because of a greater number of engine revolutions for the given trip.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
There is more to it than just distance, you cannot compare two different vehicles that way. Vehicle weight (load), engine temps, ambient temps, engine tune, type for fuel metering, condition of engine etc all play a role.

Let's put it this way. If you drove your S-10 on the same trip only used a lower gear and did (for example) 3200 rpm at 75mph, then I would say the oil would degrade faster (per mile) at the higher rpm, but not because of the higher rpm, but instead because of a greater number of engine revolutions for the given trip.

That makes sense.

I'll take it a step further and say whichever trip burned the most fuel would be in the worst shape,regardless of rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back