just bought crosman 760 pumpmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tip is to return or sell it.

If my wife and I had children, I'd have no problem with them having and shooting a real gun like a .22.

Kids often treat airguns like toys and do life changing events like shooting someones eye out.

I'm sure many guys here who've had an air gun as a kid can remember the stupid [censored] they've done or seen someone else do with an airgun.

I might not go as far as skyactiv but I would definitely recommend that ALL family members treat an airgun as if it were a firearm. They effectively are, with the exception of not using rimfire or centerfire cartridges. That means that all users of airguns should be trained in their use, and learn ALL safety rules applicable to firearms and follow them for airguns. I am one of those who did stupid [censored] with an airgun when I was a teenager, because I was never taught the basic safety rules of gun handling at the time. As a result, I wound up with two BB's in my index fingertip and a trip to the emergency room. And for families with children, that responsibility to teach safety falls on the parents!

Teach safety and proper use of a firearm and you won't have problems!! My first BB guns and my father taught me everything I needed to know about gun safety, screw up and he broke it over his knee right in front of me!

When I was a kid I had one and they were all steel rifled barrel and were accurate as heck. I don`t think they make them like that now though.

I have a b2 that I modified so it's around the 900 fps range. Nice scope and modified trigger for less jerk when you fire it. Real nice gun. my kid is only 2 at the end of January but I'll shoot it with her when she is old enough. Me and my brother had them all our lives. Never had one injury from them. my father taught us responsibility at an early age. All I suggest is to do the same.

Thanks. My kids know not to touch my guns. They see it everyday and know that if they want to see it they must ask. They dont even bother anymore. But i will teach them as you guys have said.
They have a nice 4x scope i was gonna buy

I had a Crosman 760 as a teenager. LOVED it. Did stupid stuff with it, just like Ralphie & every other kid with a BB gun. So, good advice from everyone so far.

I had one of these as well. Mine was the older version with the brass handled bolt and open receiver that could accept BB's, pellets, and darts. VERY accurate rifle. No "real" rifle I have ever shot was as accurate as my Crossman 760.

As several have suggested, these guns can cause a lot of grief if used improperly. Fortunately, I never shot anything animated with mine and no injuries ever resulted. That doesn't mean that I never did anything stupid with it. Teenage boys and air guns rarely go well together. I guess I am thankful that my fourteen year old son has never taken an interest.

Christmas 1966: many of my friends & I got pellet guns as gifts. Mine was a Benjamin pump(model 310, smoothbore BB/.177), those received by the guys included several other brands & models, and one guy got the Crosman short-stroke pump-up. It was a fairly new model, his was the first one I ever saw, think it was called the 760 even then, & is the direct ancestor of the 760 you just bought. Though they've changed some things & cheaped 'em down several times over the years, they are still good value for the money.

Your new one has a smoothbore barrel, but here's a tip: try some roundnosed(or maybe pointed too) .177 pellets in it. You may be surprised at how accurate it is- the shuttlecock effect is real, & works better than you might think. The flat-nosed wadcutter types never did well in my old Benjamin, YMMV.

If you ever want to search for airgun forums, you might start by googling "green crosman forum" & "yellow airgun forum". There are lots of others too.

Hope you & your kids enjoy the new pellet gun. Be careful & shoot safe.

Last edited:
Yup-I was a stupid kid one day about 20 years ago-was plinking away with a pellet gun at a handball-pushing it around the yard. I shortly got a center hit that brought the pellet straight back by my eye and grazed an ear. Later that day sitting out there with a small group of folks, a good sized beaver jumped out of the lake, ran right between us all-tail thumping the ground on the way to the next lake 100 yards away=strange day.

Walmart was selling these Crosman 760 pump guns with a set of BBs for way cheap during Black Friday, I think just $25 or something. I would have fent (hehe) except I already have a Daisy 880 which is a better platform IMNSHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back