I gambled and lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people are attributing a failure of some sort to a specific brand of motor oil? How could you do that?

I mean, sure if it is City Star or Bullseye... but a major and well-proven brand? How could the engine possibly know the difference?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
There been reports of Subaru's suffering spun bearings on Mobil 1, is that the syn you have been using?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
It's lived on synthetic all of its life at 3.3k intervals. I started going to 5k intervals once it hit 100k. It now only has 114k on it which is not much for one of these motors, or really any recent motor. Timing belt was done with a Gates kit 18k ago at 96k miles so I'm hoping one of those components didn't fail.

And yes, that's the strange part, it seemed to run somewhat normally during my ride home. It idled fine, no warning lights, temp gauge right in the middle. But it sounds mechanical and somewhat terminal. Something is touching something in there that shouldn't be...

Without playing online guessing game, OP should find a reputable shop to perform diagnosis on the problem.

Also: unless something failed due to material fatique after so many years of service, otherwise: when something fail like this, it is usually attributed to most recent mechanical servicing (consequence to it).

replacement parts failure, improper installation of components during RE&RE, etc. would lead to failure.

Q.

This keeps me from dumping large amounts into my car. If I drop in some large amount one week, I need to be ready to drop that same amount or more the following week. While it may not be likely it is possible to have a string of unrelated costs it does happen.

I think without diagnosis you are shooting out of your rear.

Rod knock is not common unless the engine has been abused in some way. My sheer guess would be a bad timing belt pulley or tensioner.

I like those body styles, especially the coupes.
thumbsup2.gif

I would rebuild the thing, and drop a built LS7 into it!!
crazy2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back