Hardware store chain with no customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best place to find old light fixtures: Estate sales!

Normally at least half the price of new stuff too.

I see values in all of them, but mom and pop need to get specialized or go out of business. I know a couple mom and pop end up doing more online businesses for doors and windows replacement hardware sales than their store front sales, and carries (or middle man) those they don't from their wholesalers.

One thing nice about large box stores like HD and Lowes, they don't as too much questions about returns like the mom and pop, because they just charge the manufacturers back.

OSH was a very good hardware store back in the day. I'm talking before Sears bought them out. Used to be able to find most anything there (I once needed some corks and they had them) and they carried quality brands. Where else could you buy Excelite screwdrivers over the counter?

Other than Craftsman tools, OSH is all cheap DIY stuff now with NO product knowledge. Should have seen the puzzled looks I got when I asked for a letter size drill. However, the OSH here in town is still pretty busy...for some reason (maybe it's the "we-pay-the-sales-tax" weekends they have on occasion).

The Ace hardware here in town is busy all the time. I think it helps that they do equipment rentals as well as U-Haul. I was surprised that they started carrying Craftsman tools as well.

The True Value closed a few years ago.

Last edited:
Many box stores are doing badly.I read that JC Penny is losing money like crazy. On the bright side the CEO gave himself a giant bonus.The guy writing about it,wondered if they would last. Tough times out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back