Inspecting tires and found a screw

Status
Not open for further replies.
2d7789j.jpg

Up close:
10h95km.jpg

And one other object in a different section:
2pzck7d.jpg

Not losing any air. What's the best thing to do here, take these out or leave them in?

If you have a plug set (kit) handy, might as well pull it (the screw) and see if it leaks air.

If it does, plug it. If it doesn't then you are in-luck. Simply drive as if it's normal.

Q.

Aww, that stinks. I think the best approach is a plug patch. However, those tires don't look long for this world, so I'd probably just plug and start looking for a new set.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You're not considering driving like that and waiting for a flat, are you?

+1! fix it now before you have a flat on the freeway and lose just the tire if not more! Good on you for finding it. Even if you don't want to plug it yourself, it should take < 10 minutes for a decent service station to fix (or at least I'm lucky enough to have a place close by that'll do it for $15 including a rebalance.
Kevin

Don't drive on it and especially not at high speed. But don't pull it unless you have a plug kit and are sure you know how to use it. Alternative is to take it to local tire store Discount Tire and have them look at it. They can fix it pretty quick and usually for fairly low fee. Having said that I personally avoid using NTB for any thing car related...based on my own personal experience with them..YMMV.

Last edited:
I see you just completed this thread but I gotta throw in my $0.02.

I encourage people to rotate their tires. A hidden benefit is getting the opportunity to inspect all sides of every tire for nails,screws, bulges and gauges.

You also get to look at brakes and hoses more easily. Yours in safety, Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
I see you just completed this thread but I gotta throw in my $0.02.

I encourage people to rotate their tires. A hidden benefit is getting the opportunity to inspect all sides of every tire for nails,screws, bulges and gauges.

You also get to look at brakes and hoses more easily. Yours in safety, Kira

A perfect ending!
smile.gif

Leaving it in is guaranteeing future trouble. Get a plug set so you're ready and pull it out as others have suggested. Even if it doesn't leak, I'd be inclined to cut off a tiny bit of plug material and pack it in the hole. If the screw went far enough to hit the steel belts, they'll start corroding from moisture intrusion even if they prevented a puncture. Once they're weakened enough you will become at risk of a tread separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back