5200 miles and pp smelled like fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My c3 has a 6.0 in it. If I'm driving just to work and back in 2 days the oil smells like fuel.
If after those couple days of short trips I drive out to see my kids,60 or so mile trip when I check the oil the next morning on a cold engine the fuel smell has reduced to barely perceptible.
So if truly concerned then I suggest taking a drive and elevate the rpm for a few minutes to really heat the oil up so it aids the evaporative process.
Check the PCV valve and make sure it's working properly. If it's not operating as designed then the evaporated crankcase gasses have no where to go and fuel will accumulate quickly.
As far as direct injection and oil is concerned we have seen many used oil analysis with elevated fuel values however the trended wear metal values remain consistent and well within accepted limits.
So yes some direct injection engines do dilute the fuel however no where have we seen grossly elevated or anomalous wear patterns.
Of course each manufacturer has its own quirks so it's wildly platform specific. Operating conditions are a contributing factor too.
I'm on the fence as far as direct injection is concerned. It still needs tweaking which will be at the early adopters expense.
When it comes to these fuel delivery systems the oem expends vast resources to insure that an engines durability isn't compromised however we all know that no testing regimen will accurately reflect the infinite variables experienced when people operate them in daily life.
Look at the available uoa and judge for yourself. In some applications the fuel accumulation could lead to an issue however I cannot say for sure.

Yeah, it is due to the CVT. If I recall correctly, this particular engine, the K24Z7 is DI. Previous gens were port injection.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I actually just looked and it states "2.4L Direct Fuel Injection".

Where does it state that?

AFAIK, 2014 was not DI. That's why the fuel economy EPA ratings on the 2014 are lower compared to 2015. Or maybe it's thanks to CVT...

Per Honda's website: "The 2015 CR-V has upgraded its engine for an increase in both torque and efficiency. Max horsepower and peak torque are know reached at a lower RPM and direct injection technology gives you a more efficient use of fuel."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I actually just looked and it states "2.4L Direct Fuel Injection".

uzQ8Ec0.jpg

Maybe you have a 2015.

I wouldn't trust a nose for smelling fuel in used oil. I thought my used oil smelled like fuel but the UOA indicated it had a very high Flashpoint and fuel was not indicated at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back