Dang! Snowblower Wasn't in 2WD for Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the Craftsman in 2002 and the owner's manual claimed it comes in default mode in 2WD but you may use single drive for light snow conditions and better maneuverability. The manual gives the same pic for both conditions and is worthless. 2WD is what I wanted , so I thought I'm good to go. WRONG.

During our BIG snow storm, blower had problems and notice right wheel turning and left doing nothing.

Found the machine to be in single wheel drive. Had to remove a clip, with some effort and position the wheel and "klick" pin in the 2 wheel position.

When I try the machine in 2WD it's was a lot better, no slippage.

It took me 10 years to realize a tiny leveler on the snow blower was a diff release to make it go from 2wd locked to 1 wheel. My back no longer hurts as I have a large frame 24" Simplicity(think commerical grade) snow blower.

I'm surprised how often this happens. My neighbor was complaining about struggling with his snowblower last winter... he said only one wheel was powered. Just had to place the pin through the drive axle... easy fix. The majority of snowblowers leave the showroom like this because they can maneuver them easily.

read those instruction manuals,,,well its a thought...no one really reads their auto owners manual, ok, maybe 5 out of a 100, estimated.

Interesting topic. When both wheels are driven and slip, the machine wants to yaw from side to side. One wheel undriven helps keep the machine stable in direction at the expense of traction. The same thing, as many of us learned, happens with "limited slip" diffs in rear wheel drive cars. Better traction in a straight line but get on it a bit too much in a corner and the diff will lock both wheels and around comes the back end. The principle is that a slipping wheel developes almost no sideforce. I developed a very educated right foot driving my limited slip equipped cars in snow, ice, and slush. . Electronic traction control has much more latitude. In the practical world, the mechanical limited slip is good for getting unstuck when one wheel is on a good surface and the other in mud, snow, or sand, or for leaving two marks instead of one when abusing the old man's car. Using the wrong lubricant without "limited slip additive" made the instant lock up problem worse.
There's a lot of missinformation out there about the subject. For example, the use of the term "locker" rear end. It's not a limited slip, but a diff in which the axles are locked together. When we had a drag strip hereabouts you tell the "stock class" guys who hedged the rules with locked rears because of the really WIDE turns they had to make.
Attempts have been made to offer Front Drive cars with limited slip diffs, but the effect on steering control when the unit locks up is dangerous. OK on a rally car with an experienced driver, but NOT for Aunt Tilly. Again, traction control using the ABS system is far better.

Last edited:
Yep, I've seen quite a few left like this unknowingly. I've also seen a few MTD units, where owners did not set the axle/wheel hub pins in the proper hole, allowing so much side/side play of the drive axle that the hex shaped axle bushings pop out of the chassis.. causing even more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back