5 Older Cars That Are Almost Extinct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mitch
Just for laughs they made a turbo sprint which was a rocket for its weight/displacement. And the Renault LeCar, also had a turbo version. It was featured in a James Bond film with the villain driving it.

The Turbo Renault 5 was not just a turbo version, it was a completely redone RWD, mid-engine car that had great success in the Rally circuit around Europe. It had about as much to do with the standard FWD Renault 5 as a Nascar race car does with a box stock Chevy Lumina.

Originally Posted By: weasley
It could have been worse. You could have got OUR Chevette...

vauxhall_chevette_2-door_2.jpg

The Euro Capri was a thing of legend, thanks to the TV show "The Professionals"...

image_coo251-1.jpg

I always hankered after a 3.0, although more people went for the 2.8i.

There was always the Opel Manta...

manta01_1.JPG

...which sadly became this...

5451462252_b688d61d97_z.jpg

I had no idea that the UK Opel Manta had almost the exact same body as the American h-bodies of the late 1970's - the Monza, the Sunbird, the Starfire, and the Skyhawk. Fascinating!

I had a 1976 Civic. That engine still purred when I sold the car for $250. The problem was the sheet metal was super thin. There were holes on every body panel.

Originally Posted By: weasley
It could have been worse. You could have got OUR Chevette...

vauxhall_chevette_2-door_2.jpg

from the a pillar to the c pillar, it looks exactly like our chevette/acadian

Sometimes I feel bad to see the extinction of 80s cars that were inspired by Knight Rider and TRON. That in mind, the people who created those cars should be smacked over the head with a CV axle and with a power steering rack.

I had a Audi Fox in 73 as a company car for 1 year while in college. My sister had a 74 Capri V6. Some others left out would be my mother's 74 Audi 100. Best friend had a 74 VW Sirocco. All four are not to be found any longer. Why the 240Z is up there I don't know as I can find them for sale in California. Was offered one of the early 1970 models by a dealer friend of my father's. Would have had to sell my 68 Cougar. Turned it down and still have the 68 Cougar.

Make that a 1974 Pinto wagon and then a 1976 Audi 100 for Mom. She didn't do very well after giving up her 1968 Satellite wagon. Did better with the BMW 320i in 1980.

Originally Posted By: expat
I was thinking the other day where have all the Dodge Neons gone?
and Chevy Baretta's

Lots of Dodge Neons in Windsor Ontario.

I had a neat hatch you never see anymore- a 1979 Plymouth(Mitsubishi) Arrow GT 2.6. Five speed, four wheel disc brakes, and a pretty strong motor for its day.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Unfortunately,the singer Laura Branigan is also extinct.She died of a brain aneurism in her sleep.Her "Hold Me" tour was sponsored by Chrysler,and they used her "When the Heat Hits the Street" song in their 2 Laser XT commercials.Actually the one shown with the black car is recycled later for the 85-1/2 Laser XT with the Branigan song added and different James Earl Jones voice over.80s Chryslers are very underrated,and not given the due they are deserved.At the time,Chrysler led customer satisfaction ratings and lowest recall records 3 years running.And the 91 Plymouth Acclaim was rated as most dependable American sedan.Lee Iacocca did good things back then,shame Chrysler's satisfaction ratings todays are at the bottom of the list....

frown.gif

"You Take My Self Control" is one of the songs on my night cruising playlist. Been a fave since I was a toddler.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Unfortunately,the singer Laura Branigan is also extinct.She died of a brain aneurism in her sleep.Her "Hold Me" tour was sponsored by Chrysler,and they used her "When the Heat Hits the Street" song in their 2 Laser XT commercials.Actually the one shown with the black car is recycled later for the 85-1/2 Laser XT with the Branigan song added and different James Earl Jones voice over.80s Chryslers are very underrated,and not given the due they are deserved.At the time,Chrysler led customer satisfaction ratings and lowest recall records 3 years running.And the 91 Plymouth Acclaim was rated as most dependable American sedan.Lee Iacocca did good things back then,shame Chrysler's satisfaction ratings todays are at the bottom of the list....

frown.gif

"You Take My Self Control" is one of the songs on my night cruising playlist. Been a fave since I was a toddler.

Me too. I love "Self Control". I used to hear it all the time on the radio when I was 14,15 or so (back when it was brand new). I never knew Laura Branigan sang it. I also loved "Gloria" (brings back awesome memories of back then). I had no idea she had passed away :^(

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Me too. I love "Self Control". I used to hear it all the time on the radio when I was 14,15 or so (back when it was brand new). I never knew Laura Branigan sang it. I also loved "Gloria" (brings back awesome memories of back then). I had no idea she had passed away :^(

That's the song I always think of as "I Live Among the Creatures of the Night" -- and I have a copy of it to play in the car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back