5 Older Cars That Are Almost Extinct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the Plymouth laser and Chevette well as cars my roomate had as ice beaters we could race in college at his camp. They excelled at that but otherwise sad cars that gave the big three their bad name.

I'm thinking of some other cars.
How about the last attempted revival of Lancia sales in this country, where Fiat tried flogging the very attractive Beta line here? There was even a vastly underpowered mid-engined one.
Maybe a couple of dozen actually got sold and I can recall Beta Zagatos gathering dust at a dealership a couple of years after US sales ended. For that matter, how about Fiat's attempt to cash in on an America hungry for fuel efficient cars with the 131 and the Strada? There were also the entertaining X 1/9 and the latest version of the old 124 Sport Spyder, whatever it might have been called in its later years.
Who remembers the Maxima's baby brother, the Stanza?
And who can forget the Yugo, which was even offered as a convertible?
What about the Renault 5 (Le Car) as well as AMC's final act with the Renault Alliance, also available as a convertible?
You could also new MGBs from as late as the 1980 model year.
These could be found brand new more than a year after the last one was imported. Many of these survive, since they were not especially good daily drivers even when new, although I did daily drive mine. I doubt I could stand the constant need for minor work these days, though.
Lots of models you hardly ever see anymore.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Yeah the Ford (Mercury) Capri was a really nice car and
embarrassed everything else Ford was selling in the US at the time, in terms of quality, reliability, and OVERALL performance.

That is why Dearborn stopped it sales in the USA. Similar story for the soon to come Ford Fiesta MKI which also put the Ford US built cars at the time to complete shame. The quality of the MKI Fiesta was better than the most expensive US built cars they offered at the time.

Umm, no.
Ford stopped offering the Capri since sales declined to nil.
Same with the Fiesta, or the Pantera for that matter. These cars were also offered at very attractive prices, so Ford couldn't have been making much money on them, especially the Pantera.
GM imported some very good later Opels which left the scene for the same reason. The Manta was for a time the terror of the SSCA Showroom Stock Sedan class and was everything the Vega could and should have been.
Ford was always more clever in using its Euro parts bins than was GM.
Ford used engine designs from both Germany and the UK in a variety of applications over the years.
GM could have sourced proven engine designs from either Opel or Vauxhall for a number of applications, but instead came up with new ones here, none of which were especially good and some of which (Vega) were really awful.

I owned a yellow 1974 Capri 2.8L 4 spd. It was one of the best cars that I have ever owned. Previous owner had installed headers and a Weber 2bbl carb. It was lowered a little with bigger sway bars and handled like a dream. I owned it in the early 80s and sold it when my second kid was born. I still miss it. Only car I have ever driven at 120mph for prolonged lengths of time. (night run to vegas)

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm thinking of some other cars.
How about the last attempted revival of Lancia sales in this country, where Fiat tried flogging the very attractive Beta line here? There was even a vastly underpowered mid-engined one.
Maybe a couple of dozen actually got sold and I can recall Beta Zagatos gathering dust at a dealership a couple of years after US sales ended. For that matter, how about Fiat's attempt to cash in on an America hungry for fuel efficient cars with the 131 and the Strada? There were also the entertaining X 1/9 and the latest version of the old 124 Sport Spyder, whatever it might have been called in its later years.
Who remembers the Maxima's baby brother, the Stanza?
And who can forget the Yugo, which was even offered as a convertible?
What about the Renault 5 (Le Car) as well as AMC's final act with the Renault Alliance, also available as a convertible?
You could also new MGBs from as late as the 1980 model year.
These could be found brand new more than a year after the last one was imported. Many of these survive, since they were not especially good daily drivers even when new, although I did daily drive mine. I doubt I could stand the constant need for minor work these days, though.
Lots of models you hardly ever see anymore.

My wife was driving a new Renault 18i when we first met. A hoot to drive, but plagued with chronic problems. At the same time I had a 10 year old BMW Bavaria 3.0 and not only did it suffer fewer issues, it was always less expensive to fix.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Where have all the Chevy Chevettes gone? I miss seeing those ready made coffins on the chugging their way through city traffic. The "Iron Duke" held up well in those little 4 cylinder cars.

Newest Chevette was built 28 years ago...and they didn't use the Iron Duke, they used a little OHC 1.6 Opel motor.

Originally Posted By: hpb
On behalf of Australia, I apologize for the 90's Capri... What pile of junk they were.

My wife's best friend had one...a 1991 XR2 Turbo, she loved it. 38MPG, good power and handling...reliable, too. She scrapped it...needed a turbo, a transaxle, and a top, had 280,000 miles, and was rusting out.

As a last of a breed, the Eagle Talon was a good looking car for its time.

Who can forget the Renault Fuego?

Jarlaxel - Ah, so it was HER that bought the only good Capri ever built! I'm kidding of course. Mechanically, sure, they were reliable, after all they were just a Mazda 323/Ford Laser under the skin. Body wise though, terrible. Roofs leaked from day one. Body flex was horrible. Rattles. Bits of interior trim would fall off in the night. And I'd hate to be in one that was involved in a serious crash.

I recall driving a Renault Alliance in 1983, as a loaner car. Underpowered (esp. since my regular car was the big Mercury Park Lane with the 300hp T-Bird engine), but "kinda cute," my wife said at the time.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Where have all the Chevy Chevettes gone?
I had to drive my girlfriend's Chevette once. I found it to be inferior to my dad's Cub Cadet garden tractor. The Cub had similar handling and acceleration, equivalent switchgear, and it could cut the grass as well...

My wife had 2 of the Chevettes, one was a 3 cylinder and got almost 50 MPG, the other one was a 4 cylinder and got just over 40. Both made it to 200,000 miles.

Both made/makes more since then the Smart car and neither one needed hi test gas.

Today she drives a KIA Rio and loves it.

Where have all the Chevy Chevettes gone? I miss seeing those ready made coffins on the chugging their way through city traffic. The "Iron Duke" held up well in those little 4 cylinder cars.

The 2.5L "Iron Duke" was too large for the Chevette, I'm pretty sure it wasn't used.

My Chevette experience is pretty limited, I fixed the brakes for a college friend and then the engine died. Since I have no knowledge of its past history, I can't really criticize the car... but my friend feels no such limitations.

It could have been worse. You could have got OUR Chevette...

vauxhall_chevette_2-door_2.jpg

The Euro Capri was a thing of legend, thanks to the TV show "The Professionals"...

image_coo251-1.jpg

I always hankered after a 3.0, although more people went for the 2.8i.

There was always the Opel Manta...

manta01_1.JPG

...which sadly became this...

5451462252_b688d61d97_z.jpg

My friend had a 76 Capri with 2.8 and Dobi turbo kit. Kept up with my 71 Torino GT Cobrajet. He later dropped in a 302 Ford.I liked the Monza , Skyhawk cars . Never see them around . Turned back to their natural state.

My wife was driving a '76 Civic 1500 when we met.
A great little go-cart.
I really can't understand the hate I sometimes see here for early Hondas.
This thing was pretty trouble free, especially as compared to my '76 MGB and always easy to fix when needed.
The MG was also pretty easy to fix.
It just needed fixing a lot more often.

It's funny this was mentioned because a couple months ago I saw 3 different Chevettes around my town. One yellow, one white with blue strips and the other a silver one. They didn't look like show cars, just average cars that don't see winter salt.

It made my beater '91 Camry seem almost newish by comparison
smile.gif

The 3 cylinder car was most likely the sprint not the chevette. Just for laughs they made a turbo sprint which was a rocket for its weight/displacement. And the Renault LeCar, also had a turbo version. It was featured in a James Bond film with the villain driving it.

I bought a late model Triumph Spitfire BRG had to be about '76..didn't have it real long can't remember much other than it broke a lot...anyway, don't casually see them at all anymore.

One of the gang had a truimph or miget a long time ago but I remember he earned the nick name Turtle because he was always on his back under the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back