Article: Most Americans make less than $20/hr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If someone puts women's studies on a resume does the hiring manager think instant sexual harassment lawsuit?
36.gif

I very quickly crumple that resume into a ball and think 3 point shot....

I agree that a major like this is practically useless.
But I wouldn't let anyone see you make a hoop shot into the
trash can with their resume, the next thing you know you would have the Southern Poverty Law Center filing a law suit against you and your company for discrimination.

Easily dismissed with "I'm afraid the degree is irrelevant for the position"

My wife taught+admin for almost 40 years in health+dental-mostly in a combined community/tech school. Employers for years have been crying for more tech grads with 'hands on' skills. The school has set up many 'customized training' programs for a specific area/business. The resultant jobs often started around $20 and the more sharp/sucessful new employee often rose rapidly. That said, the educational system here always has been biased in favor of the 'traditional' liberal arts schooling. That world believes and still says that, 'yes, the tech world is important, but that education should FOLLOW a 4 year liberal arts program'. Never mind that's it's totally impractical and unafforable for most. Most of those cheaper power point delivered lecture type classes/programs lumber on while the more capital intensive thus, expensive tech shop/lab/clinic programs suffer intense scrutiny for $. Of course, almost all of the education world leadership+power comes from the arts side. It was that way for her entire career!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Trust me, I've been in healthcare for 30 years.

I've met some people so bad... you would not want them caring for your dog, let alone a relative.

Every profession has it's rotten apples...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Oh heavens. How did you manage with such hardships. You must be so proud of yourself(as proven by your posts)to have weathered such a storm and gotten thru til now.
Considering your age those were big bucks back then. So let's not try to embellish or anything.
You should write a memoir and distribute it. Help pad that retirement plan.

20 an hour is barely a living wage if a person owns a car. Good luck buying a house on that kind of money.
I start labourers with no experience at 16 bucks an hour now. Anything lower and guys just won't come to work. Here the gubment teet pays pretty well so guys consider welfare as an option,which is something I just can't fathom.
I've always worked,so I don't really know how to do anything else. I remember framing for 2 bucks a square foot,today we start at 8 bucks.
But at 2 bucks I had less men,but they were good men,so yeah it wasn't alot but we got a lot of work done fast.
Today's generation of manpower isn't even in the same solar system. Coddled boys become crybaby men,who whine about their hard lives yet brag that they still made it.
Errrrrrrrrr wait a minute.........

Between the pathetic spelling and the rambling, disjointed content, I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or just babbling in a drug induced haze.

Since it is so blissful up there why do you bother to come down and talk to the peasants?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What inflation are you speaking of?
USD inflation has averaged a bit under 2% over the past thirty years plus.
2% is considered the desirable currency inflation target by most central banks, including the ECB.
The problem is that we may be experiencing actual deflation and many here and in Europe are seriously concerned about this.
Imagine the nominal value of your debts remaining constant as your nominal income declines even though your real income may be increasing.
I think that you may also be confusing changes in relative prices with inflation.
They aren't the same things at all.

So inflate away your debt? Fiat money has done tremendous harm to this nation. It has caused people to chase returns instead of saving. Deflation isn't exactly a bad thing. Asset bubbles are more of a problem as it creates unsustainable jobs.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

So inflate away your debt? Fiat money has done tremendous harm to this nation. It has caused people to chase returns instead of saving. Deflation isn't exactly a bad thing. Asset bubbles are more of a problem as it creates unsustainable jobs.

If a bubble creates a job for a year or two I bet the person holding that job would be thankful. And "chasing returns" means money's on the move, doing stuff. One economic indicator is how quickly a dollar changes hands over and over, and this motion was very slow over the last recession as businesses just sat on cash.

If one looks at the top .1, 1, or 5 percent and what percentage of assets they control, they've done well over any arbitrary number of recent decades compared to the rest.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

If a bubble creates a job for a year or two I bet the person holding that job would be thankful. And "chasing returns" means money's on the move, doing stuff. One economic indicator is how quickly a dollar changes hands over and over, and this motion was very slow over the last recession as businesses just sat on cash.

If one looks at the top .1, 1, or 5 percent and what percentage of assets they control, they've done well over any arbitrary number of recent decades compared to the rest.

Okay so X gets a job for 2 yrs. He's being overpaid for it because the money used to pay him is "free". During this time X decides to have kids because this job pays so well. The bubble pops, X is now out of a job but now he has a family to support. Sounds like a win.

Let's not forget that Grandma has been getting only .5 percent on her CD's all this time.

MarketWatch news article:
Majority of Americans make less than $20 per hour

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-majority-of-americans-make-less-than-20-per-hour-2014-11-14

I thought the average pay in the USA would be more than $20 an hour.

WOW!!!!

In 1985, I worked summers in a packing house in Terra Bella, California for $3.35/hour

In 1992 I worked as a tech for Razzari Ford in Visalia, California making $10.00/hour.

I was a police sergeant for 11 years and I made about $19.85/hour when I started and $24.61 when I was promoted to Lieutenant in 2009.

I made $31.25 as interim police chief.

In Palm Springs, a journeyman technician with Ferrari/Maserati/Lamborghini experience makes about $18.00/hour.

Originally Posted By: Doktor_Bert

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-majority-of-americans-make-less-than-20-per-hour-2014-11-14

WOW!!!!

In 1985, I worked summers in a packing house in Terra Bella, California for $3.35/hour

In 1992 I worked as a tech for Razzari Ford in Visalia, California making $10.00/hour.

I was a police sergeant for 11 years and I made about $19.85/hour when I started and $24.61 when I was promoted to Lieutenant in 2009.

In Palm Springs, a journeyman technician with Ferrari/Maserati/Lamborghini experience makes about $18.00/hour.

We have a women come a clean the house for 2 hours, once a week, we are (apparently) Lucky to get her for $25 per hour Cash!
And she doesn't clean under beds or cabinets.

Originally Posted By: expat

WOW!!!!

We have a women come a clean the house for 2 hours, once a week, we are (apparently) Lucky to get her for $25 per hour Cash!

I would clean under those things....

WOW!!!!

Well - that doesn't cover her time to travel there. While its a great gig, if it's an inconvenient drive or whatever then the actu

screw it. hey, i'd be happy to do that for $25 an hour cash. That's like $33 an hour before tax.

i remember at my old job I was taunted by a co-worker for having a 4-year bachleors of science degree but only earning $13/hr with no benefits.
Four years later, with another degree, now earning $18/hr. Does that even keep up with inflation?
i hate my life sometimes.

what's the solution? MORE education! i'll get my arm twisted to do a masters and then a PhD. Then I'll earn $25/hr which comes out to $15/hr after student loan debt service.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Well - that doesn't cover her time to travel there. While its a great gig, if it's an inconvenient drive or whatever then the actu

screw it. hey, i'd be happy to do that for $25 an hour cash. That's like $33 an hour before tax.

i remember at my old job I was taunted by a co-worker for having a 4-year bachleors of science degree but only earning $13/hr with no benefits.
Four years later, with another degree, now earning $18/hr. Does that even keep up with inflation?
i hate my life sometimes.

what's the solution? MORE education! i'll get my arm twisted to do a masters and then a PhD. Then I'll earn $25/hr which comes out to $15/hr after student loan debt service.

Sounds about right. I make good money now in the area were I live. But just about all my education is in Radio Frequency/Cable Telecommunications. I now work security so my education does not align with my current profession. At least it pays the bills.

I was making 22.45HR at USPS as a non carrier letter carrier... my union, NALC, was nice enough to get a new contract for me in may 2013... my pay is now 16.58HR. said i was better off. throw in health insurance I GOTTA pay for and i'm pushing min wage. Also work 6 days a week.
Big fun

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

$25 per hour cash is not much when you are self employed.

Think about

1. 15% or more in federal tax
2. state tax (5% in IL)
3. Self employment tax (FICA/Medicare) (you pay and then IRS gives credit for 1/2 of it back on the US1040)
4. paying for supplies/materials
5. vehicle expenses (can write off mileage)
6. health insurance
7. retirement contribution
8. insurance (liability, workman's comp., disability)
9. unemployment insurance

Is that $25 an hour under the table ?

That's what I was thinking too :^)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is that $25 an hour under the table ?

That's what I was thinking too :^)

Ahem.. $25 cash.

Very good money indeed.

Last edited:
It's paid in cash, what she does with it, I guess is up to her.

Personally if I were her, I might declare it, if not working full time. She could write off a whole bunch of stuff and not really pay anything, and be just about legal.

I know she does some commercial cleaning, so I imagine she submits a bill for that. She would be a bit stupid NOT to declare in that case.

I have a four year college degree and after 23 years in federal law enforcement, I only make $28 an hour. My fiancee is a nurse in the Federal sector and makes $34 an hour. Her son who is only 19 went to a trade school for six months to become a welder after graduating from high school. He clears over $1,200 per week which is more than either one of us make. My fiancee went to school for six years to get her [censored] in nursing.

It boils down to what your chosen occupation is. You have to choose wisely.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back