Article: Most Americans make less than $20/hr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once in between jobs I worked at a grocery store through the holiday until a lady with a I heart Africa button went through my check stand line and paid her bill with food stamps. I told her that if you lived in Africa you wouldn't be paying for your food with food stamps you would have to work for it.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think geography has a lot to do with your income. Having moved from Pa to Fl. People from the Northern states make more, but the cost of living is so much higher, its all wash. I think a lot of people are out of touch with what people make and how they do it. Ive found out, its not how much you make, but how you spend what you have.

I agree that a lot depends on geography.

Just for the fun of it I did some looking around at real estate online. A house that costs 200k here in San Antonio would be over a million in California. There are many real close to third world cities in California, more each day.

Apartments in New York are insane money. A few years ago the wife and I had a 1350 sq ft apartment that included a 1 car garage and we only paid 1k a month.

It depends where in california you look.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

I have never had a job that paid me less than 12 an hr. even at age 16.

+1. Well, I did make $10/hr at a summer job once in 1998... But my other jobs, back then, paid $20/hr+.

And I was still in HS.

I was interested to see that folks on welfare make over $20/hr in a number of states. That said, most of the population on assistance makes less than $20/hr, and given the number density of retail, unskilled service, etc., Im sure the number of jobs paying less than $20/hr is quite high. I suspect that workers in the OP actually means jobs, and some folks have more than one.

Wal mart is the number one employer, right?

I have.

But then I'm guessing I'm a few years older than you. In college I worked as a night security guard for $1.30/hour, and a couple summers I worked in a packing plant for $2.00/hour. The first year I started my first business I didn't take home a paycheck, so I worked 60-70 hour weeks banking only on the future. On the farm, after I graduated high school and before I went to college I worked a summer for $120. Given the number of hours worked, it would be difficult to calculate an hourly wage. Probably no more than a few cents/hour.

Yet somehow I managed to start saving and investing while making very little.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. Well, I did make $10/hr at a summer job once in 1998... But my other jobs, back then, paid $20/hr+.

And I was still in HS.

I was interested to see that folks on welfare make over $20/hr in a number of states. That said, most of the population on assistance makes less than $20/hr, and given the number density of retail, unskilled service, etc., Im sure the number of jobs paying less than $20/hr is quite high. I suspect that workers in the OP actually means jobs, and some folks have more than one.

Wal mart is the number one employer, right?

I think it depends on area for your wage. In college wage rate was extremely low due to massive pool of people(10k undergrads). I was fortunate to make $7/hr at my first job as Calculus tutor when most were earning $4/hr at cafeteria for example.

For better or worst I never held a job in summer in high school. My parents thought I had the rest of my life to work and they were not wealthy. I did "work" at a local software company though for free and engineering firm.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Feeling poor? Feeling depressed?

Put your numbers into http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Being below the poverty level in the USA still puts you in the top 10% globally.
Make $20/hr? ... you're in the top 0.5% of the world's population.

WE ARE the 1%. Be thankful for being born or migrating here.

Although stuff costs more here too mostly. Not all a free lunch but great place to live.

Costs more?
Have you been in any other countries or exactly what are you basing this experience on.
Having lived In Detroit for nearly a decade I can state without a doubt that I made more money than in Canada and everything from food to vehicles and everything in between costs less in America.
Milk costs 6 bucks a gallon here,gas just went down to 4.50 a gallon from over 6.00,a loaf of bread is 1.50 at most stores. Vehicles are easily 30% more out the door.
So please,tell me in what country it costs less to live and still have all the amenities as the good ole US of A.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I have.

But then I'm guessing I'm a few years older than you. In college I worked as a night security guard for $1.30/hour, and a couple summers I worked in a packing plant for $2.00/hour. The first year I started my first business I didn't take home a paycheck, so I worked 60-70 hour weeks banking only on the future. On the farm, after I graduated high school and before I went to college I worked a summer for $120. Given the number of hours worked, it would be difficult to calculate an hourly wage. Probably no more than a few cents/hour.

Yet somehow I managed to start saving and investing while making very little.

Oh heavens. How did you manage with such hardships. You must be so proud of yourself(as proven by your posts)to have weathered such a storm and gotten thru til now.
Considering your age those were big bucks back then. So let's not try to embellish or anything.
You should write a memoir and distribute it. Help pad that retirement plan.

20 an hour is barely a living wage if a person owns a car. Good luck buying a house on that kind of money.
I start labourers with no experience at 16 bucks an hour now. Anything lower and guys just won't come to work. Here the gubment teet pays pretty well so guys consider welfare as an option,which is something I just can't fathom.
I've always worked,so I don't really know how to do anything else. I remember framing for 2 bucks a square foot,today we start at 8 bucks.
But at 2 bucks I had less men,but they were good men,so yeah it wasn't alot but we got a lot of work done fast.
Today's generation of manpower isn't even in the same solar system. Coddled boys become crybaby men,who whine about their hard lives yet brag that they still made it.
Errrrrrrrrr wait a minute.........

Interesting to me that liberal arts degrees take such a bashing sometimes. I know more than a few companies/roles that make it a point to scout out individuals with liberal arts degrees as they find the candidates well rounded, critical thinkers, etc.

Admittedly, I have one of those liberal arts degrees but followed it up with a masters in something considered more useful I suppose. I'm happy with my path but do sometimes wish I pursued a harder (more tangible) skill set, engineering perhaps or debate going back for some accounting coursework.

I think "liberal arts degree" is code for some less than marketable degrees such as Art History or Womens (sorry Womyns) studies.

There are some pretty foolish decisions made when it comes to education. Spending a quarter million to get that Art History degree just doesn't seem to be money well spent.

Now if you study Philosophy with the goal of getting into law school, that may make sense. But if you just think it's cool to have a Philosophy degree...

I faced that decision over 30 years ago. I could study music and I might do well after I graduate. Or I could study engineering, have the Army pay my tuition and books and be in demand after I fulfilled my service obligation.

I made the decision that was right for my temperament, the practical choice.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Interesting to me that liberal arts degrees take such a bashing sometimes. I know more than a few companies/roles that make it a point to scout out individuals with liberal arts degrees as they find the candidates well rounded, critical thinkers, etc.

Admittedly, I have one of those liberal arts degrees but followed it up with a masters in something considered more useful I suppose. I'm happy with my path but do sometimes wish I pursued a harder (more tangible) skill set, engineering perhaps or debate going back for some accounting coursework.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think "liberal arts degree" is code for some less than marketable degrees such as Art History or Womens (sorry Womyns) studies.

There are some pretty foolish decisions made when it comes to education. Spending a quarter million to get that Art History degree just doesn't seem to be money well spent.

Now if you study Philosophy with the goal of getting into law school, that may make sense. But if you just think it's cool to have a Philosophy degree...

I faced that decision over 30 years ago. I could study music and I might do well after I graduate. Or I could study engineering, have the Army pay my tuition and books and be in demand after I fulfilled my service obligation.

I made the decision that was right for my temperament, the practical choice.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

There are a lot of folks out there doing something successful, perhaps totally unrelated, and graduating with degrees in Art History and Woman's Studies or one of those other liberal arts degrees. I'm not by any means saying every student should go pound down the doors of those departments and make sure they get an Art History degree but all hope isn't lost either.

I just wanted to share as I know a decent number of HR professionals that will look a little longer at those folks that have a varied background from some liberal arts degree.
cheers3.gif

If someone puts women's studies on a resume does the hiring manager think instant sexual harassment lawsuit?
36.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Both my sons joined the Air Force after high school, neither wanted to go to college. They are both air traffic controllers and plan on staying in the military.

I told both of them it's better to join the military than be in college undecided what major / career field to go into. Many kids in college change their major a few times. This economy is very tuff for young adults entering the workforce.

The military is a very good place to learn a trade and further your education...

Nursing isn't what it used to be. All the big "health systems" in my area have done nothing but down-staff their Registered Nursing staffs. LPNs and tech staff pick up all the slack for half the pay.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nursing isn't what it used to be. All the big "health systems" in my area have done nothing but down-staff their Registered Nursing staffs. LPNs and tech staff pick up all the slack for half the pay.

My wife is a residency coordinator for a university hospital. They are using LPNs in place of RNs and Nurse Practitioners in place of doctors. Before long the janitors will be seeing patients.

My sister in law became a nurse practitioner after 20 years working as an RN.

I also work in healthcare and its all about the $$$, patients come second.

My sister in law became a nurse practitioner after 20 years working as an RN.

I also work in healthcare and its all about the $$$, patients come second.

Good reason to try and use good common sense to stay healthy
to begin with and make sure to stay out of the Doctor's office, and ESPECIALLY the Hospital. Stats say that you are MANY times more likely to die from errant treatment or infection in a hospital than from a car accident. That should tell you something.

Trust me, I've been in healthcare for 30 years.

I've met some people so bad... you would not want them caring for your dog, let alone a relative.

Trust me, I've been in healthcare for 30 years.

I've met some people so bad... you would not want them caring for your dog, let alone a relative.

Frank Burns from M*A*S*H 4077 types?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If someone puts women's studies on a resume does the hiring manager think instant sexual harassment lawsuit?
36.gif

I very quickly crumple that resume into a ball and think 3 point shot....

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Originally Posted By: eljefino
36.gif

I very quickly crumple that resume into a ball and think 3 point shot....

I agree that a major like this is practically useless.
But I wouldn't let anyone see you make a hoop shot into the
trash can with their resume, the next thing you know you would have the Southern Poverty Law Center filing a law suit against you and your company for discrimination.

It would be VERY interesting to see where those women get jobs with those majors though, I can't imagine that it would be of ANY benefit in the business world, or even Government for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Oh heavens. How did you manage with such hardships. You must be so proud of yourself(as proven by your posts)to have weathered such a storm and gotten thru til now.
Considering your age those were big bucks back then. So let's not try to embellish or anything.
You should write a memoir and distribute it. Help pad that retirement plan.

20 an hour is barely a living wage if a person owns a car. Good luck buying a house on that kind of money.
I start labourers with no experience at 16 bucks an hour now. Anything lower and guys just won't come to work. Here the gubment teet pays pretty well so guys consider welfare as an option,which is something I just can't fathom.
I've always worked,so I don't really know how to do anything else. I remember framing for 2 bucks a square foot,today we start at 8 bucks.
But at 2 bucks I had less men,but they were good men,so yeah it wasn't alot but we got a lot of work done fast.
Today's generation of manpower isn't even in the same solar system. Coddled boys become crybaby men,who whine about their hard lives yet brag that they still made it.
Errrrrrrrrr wait a minute.........

Between the pathetic spelling and the rambling, disjointed content, I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or just babbling in a drug induced haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back