Should i add more coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

I know you dont need an exact 50/50 mixture. But if i put 1 gallon of pure coolant in my mixture will be around 70/30 wouldn't it? I dont know how to do this math at all, someone help me.

As stated in your original post - 9.25 quarts total capacity. I don't know your original mix. I'll assume 50/50.

So 4.625 quarts each of H2O and coolant.

You used almost the full gallon of distilled H2O after your repair - close enough to just say you used the whole thing? So you drained a gallon. Half would have been coolant, half H2O. You put in pure H2O.

2.625 Qts H2O + 2.625 Qts coolant (remaining after 2 Qts of each were lost during the repair) + 4 Qts H2O is in their now. Or, 6.625 Qts H2O and 2.625 Qts coolant

2.625 / 9.25 = 28.4% coolant

You want to be at 50%, so you want 4.625 Qts coolant total.

So, drain out 3 Qts, bringing you to 6.25 Qts left. Since it's 28.4% coolant you're left with (6.25 * .284) 1.775 Qts of coolant in the system. Add 3 Qts of undiluted coolant and you now have 4.775 Qts coolant in your 9.25 Qt system for a mix of (4.775/9.25*100%) 51.62%

Use the whole gallon and you get 5.47 gallons coolant for 59%

So, drain from 3 to 4 quarts and refill with coolant for between 51% and 59%. I'd go for the 59% because then you have a little buffer - you can add up to a quart of 'make-up' coolant in case of a leak and still have your 50-50 mix.

This is a typical BITOG OCD type of question that only we ask ourselves.

My infiniti in the signature, I had to do an emergency thermostat replacement on it in april . Installed a OEM nissan thermostat and gasket, i didn't have time to get a coolant. I just went to walmart and got a gallon of distilled water. Used almost the fill gallon and everything is all said and done.

Fast forward to today, I just thought about my coolant/water mixture and the upcoming winter. Being in chicago where we can see -20F sometimes.

My FSM states i have 9 1/4 US quart of coolant, that is about 2.3gal.

My simple math shows that my current system has about 30/70 coolant/water mixture (1.3g of 50/50 mix and 1g of water)

Think i'm good for the winter? My car doesn't sit outside much, inside my garage or in my heated work garage. Should i just do a drain and fill with Zerex asian which is a 50/50 mix, to bring it up to near 40/60. Or do something else...

what temperture is a 30%coolant mixture good for? And is my math right?

Yes, your math is a bit off. Your actual mix after the thermostat replacement was 45/55.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub

I know you dont need an exact 50/50 mixture. But if i put 1 gallon of pure coolant in my mixture will be around 70/30 wouldn't it? I dont know how to do this math at all, someone help me.

As stated in your original post - 9.25 quarts total capacity. I don't know your original mix. I'll assume 50/50.

So 4.625 quarts each of H2O and coolant.

You used almost the full gallon of distilled H2O after your repair - close enough to just say you used the whole thing? So you drained a gallon. Half would have been coolant, half H2O. You put in pure H2O.

2.625 Qts H2O + 2.625 Qts coolant (remaining after 2 Qts of each were lost during the repair) + 4 Qts H2O is in their now. Or, 6.625 Qts H2O and 2.625 Qts coolant

2.625 / 9.25 = 28.4% coolant

You want to be at 50%, so you want 4.625 Qts coolant total.

So, drain out 3 Qts, bringing you to 6.25 Qts left. Since it's 28.4% coolant you're left with (6.25 * .284) 1.775 Qts of coolant in the system. Add 3 Qts of undiluted coolant and you now have 4.775 Qts coolant in your 9.25 Qt system for a mix of (4.775/9.25*100%) 51.62%

Use the whole gallon and you get 5.47 gallons coolant for 59%

So, drain from 3 to 4 quarts and refill with coolant for between 51% and 59%. I'd go for the 59% because then you have a little buffer - you can add up to a quart of 'make-up' coolant in case of a leak and still have your 50-50 mix.

Nice!!! TY, So if i do another drain and fill, i should be in the 60% ballpark of coolant, it makes it a little easier for me to do that then to try and aim for 3qt.

I was trying to do the math, i just new putting in 50/50 would be under and 100% would be over.

Plus doing a full gallon earlier and a full gallon now, well i should have a good amount of new coolant in there. Any place online selling nissan green for cheap, under $20? Last i called the dealership a few months ago, i got a $25-35 price.

Plus doing a full gallon earlier and a full gallon now, well i should have a good amount of new coolant in there. Any place online selling nissan green for cheap, under $20? Last i called the dealership a few months ago, i got a $25-35 price.

Sorry; I don't know of any place. Amazon has it but it's $27

Oh, and when I said "you can add up to a quart of 'make-up' coolant in case of a leak and still have your 50-50 mix." - I meant water, not coolant. Either I couldn't find the Edit button or I waited too long and it's un-editable now

kinda glad i did this when i had the time. its currently 15 degrees @ 5pm. no telling what the weather is at night.,

We have this thing know as "windchill effect" and weatherman always often mentions of a -20 or more.

For all intents and purposes "Wind Chill" means how cold does it FEEL to a human. +10* with a 60 MPH wind FEELS as terrible as -19* without wind to a person. Buy an infrared thermometer for <$20 online and measure for yourself. At 0* with a 45 MPH wind point your infrared thermometer at your engine block (after the car has sat outside turned off for several hours)... The temp reading is going to be 0* on your engine block but it's going to FEEL a heck of a lot colder than 0* on your skin. "Wind Chill" works at high temperatures too... to an upper midwesterner 85* and dead calm will cause endless complaining about how hot it is; 85* with a nice 5-7 MPH breeze is going to be "a beautiful day".

I had a conversation with someone here about windchill and I was sure that they were wrong.
I later learned they were 100% correct.
Windchill only affects how quickly something warm cools off. For example if the actual temp is -20 but -40 with windchill. An engine block will cool twice as fast because of the windchill but that engine block will only cool to the -20 ambient and not colder,regardless if the windchill temp is -40.
I though he was nuts. It might have been Shannow I was arguing with.
I did I pile of digging and found out he was right.

I'm paraphrasing in the above text. It's not word for word. I wouldn't want to misquote nor do I want anyone to think anything is quoted.
Consider it the condensed version of 3-4 days of me saying no way and having by the end to admit error.
But I'm glad it happened. I learned that day,as I still am here at bitog.

I can totally understand why many people struggle to understand what wind chill means exactly. Pretty much all weather channels put the emphasis on the wind chill effect temperature to make it look like it's super cold outside. In turn many people I talk to, when asked what's the temp. outside, will give you the wind chill temp. they heard on the news. Why? I’ don’t know but it is probably similar to people seeing $9.99 as $9.00.

Wind chill is the effect of thermal transfer caused by the evaporation of water. It will chill things down faster but only slightly below ambient until the water is either all evaporated of it gets below freezing and solidifies.

Think of a swamp cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back