VPB @ 6.9k mi; 2012 Ford 6.7L PSD - 19k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gang, new member here, long time lurker, recent subscriber. My F-250 leads a pretty soft life, occasionally the bed gets loaded up to full capacity, but a daily driver for the most part, and recently taking a job 5 miles from home, it can make for some pretty lousy conditions for a diesel engine that hardly gets to full temperature. This truck gets amazing fuel economy on the highway, 22-25 mpg, but it's mainly used to haul my posterior back and forth to work each day. After seeing some powerstrokes with fuel dilution problems, I decided to move my oil change up a little early and see what the lab would say.

Unit:
Model: Ford 6.7L Power Stroke Oil: Valvoline Premium Blue
Type: Diesel Oil use interval 6877 Miles
Additional Info: Amsoil bypass filter

Miles on Oil 6877
Miles on Unit 18846

Comments:We debated highlighting aluminum and iron, but in the end decided not to. Normally we'll only highlight metals that are twice average or more, and those came in just under the wire. They are, as you can see, above average, but we're guessing that's just because the engine is still so new. Give it another oil change and they should come down. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine
after about 6,400 miles on the oil. A little fuel was present, at 1.0%, but that's not a problem level. Neither is the low viscosity. Good report!

Aluminum 23
Chromium 2
Iron 56
Copper 6
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 43
Nickel 1
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 21
Potassium 2
Boron 2
Silicon 5
Sodium 8
Calcium 1373
Magnesium 796
Phosphorus 905
Zinc 1090
Barium 0

SUS Vis @ 210 59.9 (69-78)
cSt Vis @ 100 10.2 (12.7-15.3)
Flashpoint 380 (>390)
Fuel% 1.0 ( Antifreeze 0 (0)
Water 0 (0)
Insolubles% 0.3/0.3

My take on this is that there is fuel dilution, but for the driving I do, it could be a lot worse. Original plan was to go with a fancy synthetic and long OCIs, but with the fuel dilution where it is, I think it makes sense to stick with a good mineral oil (maybe switch to Delo) and change it at about 8K miles.
Only mystery to me is where did that titanium come from? I used rotella before this, and this is Valvoline blue, so I didn't expect to see a lot of Ti.

I would appreciate your sage commentary

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome2.gif

Piston and cylinder wear rates are high. Bearings seem find as the Pb and Cu are normal. However, your engine is new and probably still breaking in, so don't put a lot of stock into this UOA.

Lose the BP filter; it's never going to do anything for such short OCIs. It's a cost you simply cannot ever recoup. I understand you had plans for sys and long OCIs, but if you cannot get there, might as well ditch the equipment that does not help and only costs more to maintain.

PS - I'm going to edit your post so that the title is more descriptive.

Last edited:
Still low miles and short tripper. Bypasses work best when you drive high miles all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back