14' JGC with the pentastar 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, just my $0.02 and my first post on BITOG!!

We just bought a new 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L Pentastar. I've been trying to figure out what oil I am going to use in this thing for my future oil changes. Looking at the owner's manual, it says in the maintenance section:

"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

The word "recommend" sounds like it gives you some flexibility, but if you look at the actual warranty booklet, the wording on page 15 is a bit more explicit:

"Your warranties don't cover the costs of repairing damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or fluids other than those recommended in your Owner's Manual."

I went online and looked at both the user guide and the warranty information for the JGC, and it matches what it says for the DGC word for word.

I am quite confident that 0W-20 would be just fine, and might actually extend engine life in the long run, especially if you have harsh winters like we do here in Iowa. Cold starts at -15 degrees F are really hard on an engine, so the sooner you can get that oil flowing, the better.

That being said, if you had to make a warranty claim for engine failure, it looks like using anything other than MS-6395 certified 5W-20 could be Chrysler's out if they really wanted to stick it to you.

Is a dealer going to split hairs on that? As long as you have proof of regular maintenance, probably not; warranty work is a cash cow for them. Not to mention that word of mouth can be the best, or the worst advertising for them.

Have a great day!

Originally Posted By: Chris_Charles
Hello, just my $0.02 and my first post on BITOG!!

We just bought a new 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L Pentastar. I've been trying to figure out what oil I am going to use in this thing for my future oil changes. Looking at the owner's manual, it says in the maintenance section:

"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

The word "recommend" sounds like it gives you some flexibility, but if you look at the actual warranty booklet, the wording on page 15 is a bit more explicit:

"Your warranties don't cover the costs of repairing damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or fluids other than those recommended in your Owner's Manual."

I went online and looked at both the user guide and the warranty information for the JGC, and it matches what it says for the DGC word for word.

I am quite confident that 0W-20 would be just fine, and might actually extend engine life in the long run, especially if you have harsh winters like we do here in Iowa. Cold starts at -15 degrees F are really hard on an engine, so the sooner you can get that oil flowing, the better.

That being said, if you had to make a warranty claim for engine failure, it looks like using anything other than MS-6395 certified 5W-20 could be Chrysler's out if they really wanted to stick it to you.

Is a dealer going to split hairs on that? As long as you have proof of regular maintenance, probably not; warranty work is a cash cow for them. Not to mention that word of mouth can be the best, or the worst advertising for them.

Have a great day!

yeah...i'm sticking with ms-6395 compliant oil...pyb 5w20 for now, and i'm btw from Iowa as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Run a MS-6395 oil while in warranty. No 0w20 carries that spec that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

That is correct. IIRC none of the Mobil products meet the spec either.

None of the Mobil oils have been submitted by them for certification of MS-6395 standard, not that they would not meet the spec as they are currently made. There is a difference.

People that loose sleep over the warranty police showing up, then use a MS-6395 oil. But if people think any of the current Mobil products are not up to snuff, that is speculative at best.

Mobil and Chrysler/FIAT have had business problems extending back to the bankruptcy days and not from any issue with the actual oil product itself. So this speculation that Mobil would not meet the MS-6395 is B S, just that Mobil is not in any hurry to get there and apply for it.

If you're really concerned about the cold starts you could run PP or another synthetic 5w20 which would give you better cold flow properties than PYB.

Myself, I'm also staying MS-6395 compliant right now as we don't even have the protection of M-M up here.

Very sophisticated lil engine there, it even has a variable displacement oil pump.

I'd use what they say, you got 100k miles to prove them wrong...

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Run a MS-6395 oil while in warranty. No 0w20 carries that spec that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

That is correct. IIRC none of the Mobil products meet the spec either.

None of the Mobil oils have been submitted by them for certification of MS-6395 standard, not that they would not meet the spec as they are currently made. There is a difference.

People that loose sleep over the warranty police showing up, then use a MS-6395 oil. But if people think any of the current Mobil products are not up to snuff, that is speculative at best.

Mobil and Chrysler/FIAT have had business problems extending back to the bankruptcy days and not from any issue with the actual oil product itself. So this speculation that Mobil would not meet the MS-6395 is B S, just that Mobil is not in any hurry to get there and apply for it.

Exactly. But if the dealer wants to bust'em in the rare event of an oil related issue it might pose a problem. OTOH you'd probably have XOM in your corner, and they're no slouch. I don't worry much about things like that anymore, there are ways around it.
wink.gif

The easiest thing IMO is to stay MS-6395 compliant and use the grade they recommend.

I assume that a 3.6 Pentastar is the same engine thru out the Chrysler family no matter what car it is in? (Yes I know there are some slight variation but as on the whole)

I was going to ask the same question as this is my first Dodge/Chrysler product other than a 75 Valiant lol

FF on this engine?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I assume that a 3.6 Pentastar is the same engine thru out the Chrysler family no matter what car it is in? (Yes I know there are some slight variation but as on the whole)

I was going to ask the same question as this is my first Dodge/Chrysler product other than a 75 Valiant lol

FF on this engine?

FF from fiat-chrysler these days should be a SOPUS product.

Why so worried about warranty? I'm still waiting to hear a rejection of warranty for oil used. I know someone recently that had a valve spring break when starting a Jeep 3.7 that wiped some other parts out. The dealer took the truck, had the owner sign a waver saying they'll inspect to see proper maintence was done, and if not the charge of engine breakdown/inspection was to be paid. There inspection was see if the oil filter looked to have been changed and drop the oil pan to look at oil by eye. No questions for oil receipts, etc. They swung in a reman engine no questions asked. Besides that, who has a warranty issue from oil related failure nowadays anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back